Upgrade from ATPro without Spending $1500+??

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All, I'd like to upgrade from my ATPro but I can't afford at the moment to spend $1500 or beyond doing so. I know the usual suspects (Etrac - already had and didn't like, CTX, Deus, V3i) are good upgrade options but too expensive for me now.

There has to be a machine in the $600 - $1000 price range that's better than the ATPro, isn't there?

Any ideas??

Upvote 0

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure

I use the Fisher F75 se....

Great machine ..deep n powerfull....... around $1250 and tax.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go get yourself a MXT Pro with the 950 coil-$849 and learn it . You will be surprised!

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some say X-TERRA 705 but i dont know i read only about it on forums

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My choices would be the minelabe 705 aswell then most likely the fisher f75 ltd

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
X-terra 705 is an incredible value in the $750 range and for $250 more you can get the Safari! Both are great machines that will give you significantly better performance than your current unit.

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I would recommend the minelab safari. It's 1000 bucks. It's the same coil as the etrac has but not all the programming the etrac has. Some people love the safari because they don't want all the user settings. It's a turn on and go machine. Good luck with your decision.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
The X Terra 705 is lighter than the ATP Pro, has 3 frequencies instead of 1, has a prospecting mode which also adds a couple inches of depth, has 28 segment discrimination opposed to the ATP Pro's 20, has adjustable volume which the Garrett doesn't and also has a threshold control which the ATP Pro is lacking.

The ATP Pro is a good machine, but the 705 is much better ...... And the Safari is even better than the 705!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The X Terra 705 is lighter than the ATP Pro, has 3 frequencies instead of 1, has a prospecting mode which also adds a couple inches of depth, has 28 segment discrimination opposed to the ATP Pro's 20, has adjustable volume which the Garrett doesn't and also has a threshold control which the ATP Pro is lacking.

The ATP Pro is a good machine, but the 705 is much better ...... And the Safari is even better than the 705!

How much does the X terra 705 weigh in at? AT Pro is 3.5 lbs with the standard big coil.
The volume control for the Garrett is on the headphones and there is NO threshold on the AT Pro.

To the thread starter, have you thought of the AT Gold? I managed one off craig's for a great price=$375.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight with 9" concentric coil & batteries weighs 2.9lbs

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bang for the buck in that price range - I'd agree on the Minelab X-Terra 705, the Fisher F75 LTD and Teknetics T2 SE being the top machines in that market segment.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe those 4 ur talking about are more of channels the Atpro works off of a 15khz frequency, the 705 has the ability to change frequency with coil change from 3khz,7.5khz & 18khz.
But then again I could be wrong I'm goin with what the garret catalog is saying that its a single frequency machine, I think if it were multiple then it would probably be a bit more $. Like I said I could also be wrong just saying what I'm seeing & I do remember the 4 on my Atpro I used them when other machines were close if there was interference from another kinda like a different channel like my old v3i headphones had 4 aswell to choose

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Funny, my AT Pro has 4 freqs not 1! I can use ALL four w/o changing the coil! Just sayin!

Those 4 frequencies are very close and basically give you 4 different frequencies to operate at in order to eliminate interference from nearby detectors. The ATP Pro only has 1 "detection" frequency which is 15khz. No matter what coil you put on the Garrett you will still be detecting at 15khz.

The 705 offers 4 detection frequencies depending on what coil you use.

If the volume control is on the headphones, then the machine DOES NOT have a volume control.

The ATP Pro is an excellent machine, but the 705 is just better. It's nothing personal, just stating facts. With that considered, the 705 also costs roughly $200.00 more than the ATP Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions