Anyone going to MD Folsom Lake this weekend ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

F you are give me a shout, would like to get out.

S.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

From the looks of those youtube videos posted, there's already no shortage of md'rs combing the snot out of the exposed foundations. But hey, every day we don't have rain, is a day the water level drops another inch, haha. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Slopes

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2014
Elk Grove , CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was wondering if you went last weekend and if so, how'd you do?? I was actually thinking about going this weekend. Staying away from Mormon island though. Was thinking more of the marina area or Beals Point

OP
OP
BritinCA

BritinCA

Mar 4, 2013
Cameron Park
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
AT Pro
MXT Pro
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing ok, with the lake so low got the SUV out to parts never even seen before. I was there just into the 2nd hour pulling trash mainly when I was asked to stop detecting immediately by the "Park Manager" who had nothing better to do with his time. I told him I had a pocketful of trash he was welcome to have that I had removed but didn't want to know. Considering the guys attitude I thought it would be funny to have a group MD'ing there, then to watch him pulling out his hair trying to rant at a group of people. I have been going there for years and this is the first time I had been asked to stop.... Oh well.

Slopes

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2014
Elk Grove , CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What part of the lake did you get busted at ? Lol. They've had a ton of articles about not taking ANYTHING from Mormon Island and a few of my friends have been down there just checking it out and said there were quite a few rangers hanging around the area...... But I assumed the rest of the area was fair game. I'm still gonna head out there sometime this weekend and see

OP
OP
BritinCA

BritinCA

Mar 4, 2013
Cameron Park
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
AT Pro
MXT Pro
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the a browns Marine - Marina entrance on Green Valley but was no where near the Mormon island foundations... I have never had problems before, so next time I am going to come in from the beach in Granite Bay and work that way.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
what ?

I was doing ok, with the lake so low got the SUV out to parts never even seen before. I was there just into the 2nd hour pulling trash mainly when I was asked to stop detecting immediately by the "Park Manager" who had nothing better to do with his time. I told him I had a pocketful of trash he was welcome to have that I had removed but didn't want to know. Considering the guys attitude I thought it would be funny to have a group MD'ing there, then to watch him pulling out his hair trying to rant at a group of people. I have been going there for years and this is the first time I had been asked to stop.... Oh well.

What? you mean you were only asked to leave? Didn't get arrested, ticketed, jails, confiscations, etc....? SAY IT ISN'T SO! :laughing7:

You say in your next post that you "never had a problem". So too do I know guys who've extensively hunted further up in the fingers there, at other exposed foundations. Not the colorful "media blitz" mormon island ones, but just a few other little tent-city-miner areas, that got exposed in other year's drought times. Apparently no one cared less, because no one ever said "boo" to any of us. Some nice coins came from there: seateds, a bust, barbers, etc... Even a coin purse with multiple seateds, a few reales, and a gold coin :)\

So my hunch is that the only scrutiny is on this "mormon island" thing. And if you got scrutiny elsewhere, my hunch is that it's d/t only SINCE the hunt-fever set in with the media stories. That only NOW it's fresh in every rangers mind there.

Last edited:

Slopes

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2014
Elk Grove , CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to Granite Bay and then headed over to Dotons Bar. Great day although it felt like the Sahara Desert!! Met quite a few fellow MD's! One in particular had a couple of nice finds.... Old coin, he nor I had any idea. What kind it was, nothing either of us had ever seen. And a large skeleton type key in great condition. Both were found a Dotons Bar

Me, still learning my detector lol but found a few leaded sinkers, a unknown bullet and a penny that seems impossible to clean! Along with the many fish hooks, beer cans ,flip tops, rusty nails, bucket handles

image.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey slopes, thanx for posting. Did you happen to get a pix of that other fellow's un-identified coin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread