Problem with Garrett pinpointer

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I know that's not something you hear often.. I got mine for Christmas from my husband. Best present ever ... If it's not defective. The ground is a disaster, if not froze solid then it's wet n muddy. Been using on the days that the ground isn't snow covered. Anyhow, worked great.. Then started chirping randomly , as if there was something in the ground ,but nothing found. Then it would just stop.. Didn't chirp at tbe dirt pile or hole. So after a few times of this I changed tbe battery n we were back in business . Today it was chirping off and on in the open air.... Now I'm like wth? It was smeared with mud, I wiped it off, it started working again... But did it again alil later. Anyone else experience this?

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright now, you got me worried. I was getting ready to purchase a Garrett Pro pin pointer in a week or so, and now having second thoughts. Please help me with this decision. Do I or don't I.

Many, many, many of us using Propointers without issues. But if it makes you nervous I think the Minelab pinpointer works well too.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Alright now, you got me worried. I was getting ready to purchase a Garrett Pro pin pointer in a week or so, and now having second thoughts. Please help me with this decision. Do I or don't I.

I wouldn't trade my Garrett Pro Pointer for two of another brand. That thing is a magical wand. They should have gave Luke Skywalker and Darth Vadar these instead of lightsabers. :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that's not something you hear often..

Actually it is a common complaint. GPP's are great tools but they seem to have some quality control issues. If you get a good one, it will last a long time but quite a few people here have posted about having to send theirs in for replacement many times.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actully need to call about mine. I've had it about 4 months and when u put it in the ground and move it around mine will false a lot.

KyTrout

Greenie
May 25, 2013
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine for a couple months and it started miss reading and saying that my arm is full of metal, as well as my cat. Changed the battery thinking it was just a dead battery and it was fine for about 10 min before it started up again. It seems if I squeeze it or push on the tip that it sounds off. Really a problem when sorting through dirt, especially with rocks in it. I plan on calling Garrett and sending it back. Thanks!

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I've had mine for a couple months and it started miss reading and saying that my arm is full of metal, as well as my cat. Changed the battery thinking it was just a dead battery and it was fine for about 10 min before it started up again. It seems if I squeeze it or push on the tip that it sounds off. Really a problem when sorting through dirt, especially with rocks in it. I plan on calling Garrett and sending it back. Thanks!
Lol, your cat ... Yeah if I press the tip into the dirt just alittle to hard It starts giving false signals. And from there it goes crazy ... My hands are metal , the ground around me is metal , the air is metal... :)

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Lol, your cat ... Yeah if I press the tip into the dirt just alittle to hard It starts giving false signals. And from there it goes crazy ... My hands are metal , the ground around me is metal , the air is metal... :)

It's because your Miss Iron Maiden. :headbang: Mental Health will drive ya mad, bang your head, wake the dead! 8-)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1. What type of Battery are you using ?
make sure it's a good Alkaline not cheapo heavy duty.
Still sounds to me like a Weak battery.

Yeah if I press the tip into the dirt just alittle to hard It starts giving false signals. And from there it goes crazy ... My hands are metal , the ground around me is metal , the air is metal...
smiley.gif

are you pushing on the cap as you press the tip into the dirt ?

#2. put a Quarter or Dollar coin or 2 between the cap & the Battery, to be sure the battery isn't loose inside,
and loosing full contact at times.

#3. check that the rubber over the on off button, isn't getting dislodged,
and holing the button half way in at times.

#3.5 how do you get you headphones over that hat ?

Anyway keep us updated, if these don't help it may be defective

Last edited:
OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
#1. What type of Battery are you using ? make sure it's a good Alkaline not cheapo heavy duty. Still sounds to me like a Weak battery. are you pushing on the cap as you press the tip into the dirt ? #2. put a Quarter or Dollar coin or 2 between the cap & the Battery, to be sure the battery isn't loose inside, and loosing full contact at times. #3. check that the rubber over the on off button, isn't getting dislodged, and holing the button half way in at times. #3.5 how do you get you headphones over that hat ? Anyway keep us updated, if these don't help it may be defective
I don't normally dress lime that ! Lol. I was a gunslinger for Halloween . I don't use earphones, haven't felt a need for them Yet. I have tbe quarters in the battery compartment now.. I'm using Duracell. And I can't say positively wether I pushed on the battery end or not, when pressing into the dirt.
Edit * I thought maybe it was the battery, so I put in a new Duracell , same issue

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't normally dress lime that ! Lol. I was a gunslinger for Halloween . I don't use earphones, haven't felt a need for them Yet. I have tbe quarters in the battery compartment now.. I'm using Duracell. And I can't say positively wether I pushed on the battery end or not, when pressing into the dirt.
Edit * I thought maybe it was the battery, so I put in a new Duracell , same issue

hmmm. sounds like a job for Garrett

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had the exact same thing happen to mine. I think it is a loose connection in the system somewhere,but I'm not sure. Seems I can shake the livin heck out of it and it starts to work again. It is pretty frustrating when you dig a hole twenty foot deep and cant pinpoint a fence steeple!! LOL !! What heck! I'll get mad and send it back one day. I hear Garrett works well with dummies like myself!! Let me know if you get an adjustment from Garrett and the turn around time involved! Good Luck!!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it back .. they are great pin pointers.. and you should not have to jury rig one that is only a couple weeks old ... send it back .. I have had mine for over 6 months now and I even submerge it in creeks... after all it says you may rinse it off in the sink with running water.. I just dont go past about 6 inches under water so no extra water depth pressure I could not live without mine ...

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my Pro Pointer for about 6 years and never had an issue. Use it about 2 or 3 times a week.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know that's not something you hear often.. I got mine for Christmas from my husband. Best present ever ... If it's not defective. The ground is a disaster, if not froze solid then it's wet n muddy. Been using on the days that the ground isn't snow covered. Anyhow, worked great.. Then started chirping randomly , as if there was something in the ground ,but nothing found. Then it would just stop.. Didn't chirp at tbe dirt pile or hole. So after a few times of this I changed tbe battery n we were back in business . Today it was chirping off and on in the open air.... Now I'm like wth? It was smeared with mud, I wiped it off, it started working again... But did it again alil later. Anyone else experience this?
Look on you tube at Garrett Pro Pointer problems..Many videos on why they sound off like that and how to fix..however if it is still in warranty,I suggest sending it in to Garrett for repairs..They know the problem and fix since almost all of them have your problem.It's 2 simple uninsulated wires that are touching outher parts that make these false sounds..Good luck..

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Look on you tube at Garrett Pro Pointer problems..Many videos on why they sound off like that and how to fix..however if it is still in warranty,I suggest sending it in to Garrett for repairs..They know the problem and fix since almost all of them have your problem.It's 2 simple uninsulated wires that are touching outher parts that make these false sounds..Good luck..
Hey thanks!

leafsforever3

Jan 3, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both myself and my Dad had the same problem, so it's more common than you think. YES Garrett went good for it, but it cost us each $50 for shipping..

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, The last 3 pinpointers i have had did that at one time or another...ive gotten used to turning it off and on...But the main problem with them are the battery connections...if the batttery is loose at al, it will make it sounds crazy

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that many people are complaining and maybe there is yet another answer coming. I see elsewhere that Whites has announced their new Bullseye TRX pinpointer due out in the middle of February. Could we get lucky and maybe come up with something better?

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
you're welcome..All kinds of modifications and tricks can be done on the Garrett pro-pointer..From simple
to complicated..Check out the simple nail affixed with a rubber band to the side of the pin-pointer..It more than doubles
the depth it reads.That's a must..Just call up Garrett pro pointer modifications and check it out.On YouTube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread