Problem with Garrett pinpointer

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I know that's not something you hear often.. I got mine for Christmas from my husband. Best present ever ... If it's not defective. The ground is a disaster, if not froze solid then it's wet n muddy. Been using on the days that the ground isn't snow covered. Anyhow, worked great.. Then started chirping randomly , as if there was something in the ground ,but nothing found. Then it would just stop.. Didn't chirp at tbe dirt pile or hole. So after a few times of this I changed tbe battery n we were back in business . Today it was chirping off and on in the open air.... Now I'm like wth? It was smeared with mud, I wiped it off, it started working again... But did it again alil later. Anyone else experience this?

Upvote 0

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

rabbid-digger

Jul 1, 2013
fennville,MI
Detector(s) used
garret atpro
propointer
sampson 18" digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine did this at first, I just put in a new battery and it worked fine since. Sometimes the batt shipped with it is junk. Also don't use Duracell they're shorter than enegizer and lose connection sometimes hope this helps.

PikesPeakTreasures

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a problem with mine too. Had it less than a month, and when I tighten down the battery cap, it won't stay on. It just beeps once and shuts down. If I loosen the cap a bit, it works for a while, but I have to keep tightening and loosening the cap to keep it working. Quite frustrating.

When it works, it helps a ton! This list is the first that I've heard of problems with the Pro Pointer. I'll contact Garrett and see what they say.

leafsforever3

Jan 3, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shipped a fake one back to the seller(long story)for 6 bucks even..From Houston to Georgia.Of course that was just my shipping cost..His would be X 2 two ways and no telling what Garrett charged..So that could be the cost..Sure sounds high though.

Actually there's no could be about it. I have no reason to lie. It was $25 shipping each way including insurance and packaging. I also did not ship it to Garrett, as I was kindly told I had to ship it to Canadian Treasure Seekers. We both got new ones, but it was still frustrating as they were not used much and had to pay a third of the cost of a new one in shipping.

Anyway my point was the problem is common.

Last edited:

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually there's no could be about it. I have no reason to lie. It was $25 shipping each way including insurance and packaging. I also did not ship it to Garrett, as I was kindly told I had to ship it to Canadian Treasure Seekers. We both got new ones, but it was still frustrating as they were not used much and had to pay a third of the cost of a new one in shipping.

Anyway my point was the problem is common.
Sorry Leafs-I was just responding to McKennys response..Shipping all depends on where you live,distances,shipping material,insurance,type of shipment used,next day,priority,etc.,and labor..You're right..My bad..And yes the problem is common.If these were cars,they'd have a recall on them..

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had this happen to me with the Garret and Nokta pp. The best conclusion I've come up with is that for some reason or another it was subject to too much stimulus. I turned them off then back on and they were fine. Happens to us people too, just too much imput and we need a timeout to chill and get re-centered. :coffee2:

Last edited:

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here. Random chirps that suddenly stop. No idea others had the same problem. Started a few months after it bought it.

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Wow... I've had mine for a year and never had any problems. I also have 10+ friends who have theirs for years and no problems. Maybe a manufacturing defect. Check to make sure nothing is obstructing battery... Try other stuff. If still nothing, send it back. They'll replace it.

KyTrout

Greenie
May 25, 2013
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had all that chirping happen to me too. Called Garrett and they are fixing/replace my pro pointer. I haven't had it too long. I read someplace that there may have been a bad batch of them.

leafsforever3

Jan 3, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bad batch would explain it as both of ours were close in serial numbers . It also seems they could make the battery connections better , that would help solve the problem,

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had mine since early Dec. no problems. I only use energizer batteries in all my equipment, simply because I've never had a problem with those batteries. The El-cheapo are too small.

I Do remember reading something in the pro pointer manual that you can null out ground(?) by turning on the unit while holding to the ground. Then you have to turn it off and back on away from metal to retune it. Don't have instructions with me, don't remember exactly what it said.

If you believe there's a problem and Garrett will fix it, send it in.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Had mine since early Dec. no problems. I only use energizer batteries in all my equipment, simply because I've never had a problem with those batteries. The El-cheapo are too small.

I Do remember reading something in the pro pointer manual that you can null out ground(?) by turning on the unit while holding to the ground. Then you have to turn it off and back on away from metal to retune it. Don't have instructions with me, don't remember exactly what it said.

If you believe there's a problem and Garrett will fix it, send it in.

I do that many times when erradic ground feedback happens. Lots of these problems are easily solved with a power cycle or something like this simple GB routine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh oh... This isn't good.. For $130 this thing should not be having this problem.
It is not the pro pointers fault what it is that all batteries look the same size but some are just a fraction shorter so if you put some card board or a coin under the cap the farseeing will stop for it will then make contact.. I have had mine since they first came out never had a problem..

Last edited:

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was smoking. I never saw visible flames but through heavy padded leather gloves...and not cheap gloves either...I had to drop the battery because it was so hot and smoke was coming out from the inside when I opened the battery compartment. The whole top end all the way down to the power button was EXTREMELY hot even through the gloves. Was never exposed to water. Never dropped.

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I had mine do a similar thing sound of holding it in the air and then no sound on a coin just plain erratic. Contacted Garrett first sent it in had a new one back with in 7 to 10 days. I was very impressed Garretts service is outstanding. Goodluck

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3 - 6x10, 5.3, & 950 Coils

Whites XLT - 5.3 & 950 Coils
I don't know if someone has mentioned this already, but for whatever reason, my Garrett pinpointer prefers Duracell batteries. With any other type of battery, I get the random chirping and inferior performance, but with Duracells it works great. I know, I don't get it either.

Have you tried it with a Duracell?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hoping (for you) that it is the mineralization of the soil - turn it off, lay it on the pile of dirt, turn it on there - presto - it is retuned - it should recognize the soil, and then go looking for your target.
The pinpointer does that too, when left on for a great while - its says "turn me off" !!

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same thing happened to me, but I did not want to send it back during the fall, as it was my busiest time of year... but, all of a sudden the ATPro started having a strange buzzing noise, so I sent them both back. Took about a week, and I had to pay shipping one way. I had about a month left on the warranty, so they covered everything. Good customer service, but I agree, there seems to be a quality issue based on all these similar occurrences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread