Problem with Garrett pinpointer

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I know that's not something you hear often.. I got mine for Christmas from my husband. Best present ever ... If it's not defective. The ground is a disaster, if not froze solid then it's wet n muddy. Been using on the days that the ground isn't snow covered. Anyhow, worked great.. Then started chirping randomly , as if there was something in the ground ,but nothing found. Then it would just stop.. Didn't chirp at tbe dirt pile or hole. So after a few times of this I changed tbe battery n we were back in business . Today it was chirping off and on in the open air.... Now I'm like wth? It was smeared with mud, I wiped it off, it started working again... But did it again alil later. Anyone else experience this?

Upvote 0

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm my bf's saying 'send it back'....he got his this pasr spring, and put a ton of work on it so it began falseing on him. He's sending his back. Sucks that it's an Xmas present but hope this helps!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar problem. It got where it would chirp if I touched my arm. I called Garrett and they said to send it back. They replaced it at no cost.

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
This bites. I was hoping it was just something that happened sometimes... Uuhhgggg. I hope he kept the receipt :(. Thanks guys

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no worries they go by the serial number so you will be fine.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're lucky...I received one last year for Christmas and it didn't even work right out of the box. It seems like a certain percentage are duds. Anyway, I went back to my Vibraprobe which I've had for years which is more durable than the Garrett.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before sending it back, try putting a quarter or similar thickness washer etc. in the cap to put more downward pressure on the battery. I had similar problems and the extra battery pressure solved it.
luvsdux

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Before sending it back, try putting a quarter or similar thickness washer etc. in the cap to put more downward pressure on the battery. I had similar problems and the extra battery pressure solved it. luvsdux
Thanks I will. That doesn't mess it up though , seeing as it's a metal?

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Same thing is happening to me too...I even have 2 quarters in the cap

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
For anyone that had issues and got yours replaced, did it ever happen with the replacement ? And I'm I'm a bit worried that maybe I just wasn't careful enough with mine... It's been in some soupy mud. Not submerged or anything... But I thought you could even use it in water( which I haven't) .
From what I've read, I thought these things could handle my less than graceful detecting style

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am headed to the post office with mine today. Same problem that seems to get worse as the temperature drops. Not the quality I expected after 6 months use. I am confident that Garrett will fix it.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sent mine back twice in 2 years. They have great turn around, no questions asked.

Wish they would fix whatever the issue is.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you use name brand batteries when you replaced them? Some of the off brand are a hair smaller and seem to cause an issue with the Propointer. Had it happen to me but my issues stopped when I went with name brand, can't remember but either Duracell or Everready.

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Susan , the second time around I did use Duracell. Thank you for that tip though, maybe for someone else it will do the trick. Today I used it in the pouring rain, in the mud and it worked like a champ... So I'm really not sure what to think now.

StevieB

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright now, you got me worried. I was getting ready to purchase a Garrett Pro pin pointer in a week or so, and now having second thoughts. Please help me with this decision. Do I or don't I.

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several. find that if you slip a quarter along side the battery and place one on top of the battery it tightens the battery in the compartment. problem solved

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread