Is it really that complicated ??????

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
This morning I am at the beach strolling along at a nice slow pace, enjoying the sun and checking out the scenery, when I notice an older gentleman with a nice Whites PI unit. He is jumping all over the pace and waving his coil about 6-8" in the air. This I don't mind at all because he'll probably leave everything in the ground for me. What really got me was when he got a signal, he would take his scoop dig a hole and retrieve his target and then walk away leaving an unfilled hole in the ground. I was VERY polite and approached him to let him know that it was proper etiquette to fill your holes and he replied "Don't worry - the next tide will get it" ARE YOU KIDDING ME ???? A couple of times he obviously didn't like his target and dropped it right back in the sand !!!! Come on !!!! There are all kinds of people out there jogging and stuff that don't need to fall in your holes ..... and if you dig it you own it !!! throw it away in a barrel when leaving the beach if you don't want it, don't just drop it in the sand !!!! Your actions while detecting will often determine how other people enjoying the hobby will be perceived in the future. Play by the rules or don't play at all!!!!:BangHead:

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! I always fill in my holes best I can so that at least no one could trip over them.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just show him and others how it SHOULD be done. That is all you can do, knowing you did your part. TTC

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed the same thing on vacation this past summer in Myrtle beach. Various people would be out detecting leaving craters all over the place. When I approached somebody about it all I got was is that it is no different than the holes these kids leave when playing in the sand btw the the beach groomers or the tide will get it. Yes there was a tractor that drug some kinda of chain net across the beach the next morning but it didn't "fill" any of the holes and my sister heading to the beach twists her ankle in one. We as respectable detectorists need to do our best to do what we know as right even if its kicking some sand in somebody elses hole. Either that or it will end up that they pass a law where none of us get to detect. Even here at home some of the parks look like theres a mole pandemic and I always do my best to leave a site better than when I came. I do the same hunting and fishing to, lets not give them anymore ammo to take our hobbies away from us.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like the others i always fill my holes and take with me what i dig. I have one place I have dug over 400 holes and you can't tell where i have been. A cpl times I missed a target next to one i had dug and started to dig it only to find I had dug a hole with in 2" of where i was digging and ended up opening the old hole as well. I couldn't even tell i had dug there. There are a cpl of guys in my area that leave open holes in parks and if they do fill them they just kick the soil but never really fill the hole.

When i bought my 1st detector i read the code of ethics for detecting and in my mind I almost took it to be the law and i have always hunted like that. I know another guy that is the same way. I met him one day and he had over 200 soda cans in the back of his truck from detecting and he said he sells them when he gets in a cleaning mood. This is a great hobby for all ages but as most of us do we respect where we hunt and leave every place the way we found it.

My grandson learned the hard way in his own field. He didn't think he needed to fill holes properly until he and his friends were playing soccer out there and he sprained his ankle from tripping in his own hole. He fills his holes now...lol

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some peoples children :BangHead:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was driving to a park to hunt and drove past a school on the way and noticed a guy swinging a detector like an old fashioned weed scythe, two feet in the air at both ends of the swing, and a foot high as it passed over the ground! After I got to my park and was hunting, a truck pulls up and it's the guy I saw at the school. I asked if that was him I saw at the school and he says yes but that he didn't get any signals at all to dig. He said he stopped to talk because he noticed I had a newer looking Garrett and he had been using the same Whites for 30 years.

I am an old guy as well and told him I had been at this for 30 years myself. And then he floored me with his next question..."Have you ever found a silver coin yet? I've never found one" I told him I've found lots of silver coins over the years, A Silver dollar once, a few Barbers, Standing Libertys, and close to a hundred Washingtons, Rosies, and Mercs. And even a few gold jewelery items when the ground is soft and I don't mind digging foil and pull tabs. And he looked at me like I was from another planet. Before I could tell him maybe he could slow down and keep his coil near the ground, he says, "You must be a lucky guy", and tips his hat to me and leaves.

Since we both been here for 30 years, it's just as well, because I probably have some keepers that he ran past with his detector in the air!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People now a days just don't care about anything but themselves

I agree except for one thing, people who only care about themselves also care about taking away anything they see someone else enjoying. In my opinion the folks that leave big holes and trash exposed are the ones who don't make good finds anyway and they're bitter about it, so subconsciously they are getting back at those of us who have had some success, or are just happy with the hobby...Putting it nicely they're just plain grumpy.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
As for someone who has done their fair share of beach hunting, it is so easy to drag your foot a couple of times and fill the hole. People like the man you have mentioned here is probably like this about pretty much everything. A user that wants everything his way, but isn't willing to give back or at the very least be responsible for his actions.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fill mine don't like leaving evidence I've even been there, and I fill the ones others leave because I don't want to fall in them.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was on the beach today and found...35 or so bottle caps and 3 nickels. Some days ya just have to help clean up the beach (grin).

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully, the numbskulls that leave their holes unfilled will lose interest in the hobby.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy sounds like a (deleted my mod for language)

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy sounds like a (deleted my mod for language)

Language.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was driving to a park to hunt and drove past a school on the way and noticed a guy swinging a detector like an old fashioned weed scythe, two feet in the air at both ends of the swing, and a foot high as it passed over the ground!

When I lived in Arizona we had lots of "winter visitors" every year, many of whom had detectors but few know how to use them. So many times I've seen exactly the same behavior. We called them "golfers", and they were certainly no competition.

Once I was searching in a park fairly close to some soccer fields. A team had just arrived when the coach ran over to me yelling. I calmly asked him what was the problem, and he screamed at me for digging holes in the field. I asked him to show me the holes so he led me to the very center of the field. There was a hole at least a foot deep and maybe fourteen inches wide or more, with dirt thrown all around. He threatened to call the police on me, when I told him I was not digging holes, and the only digging tool I carried was a six-inch screwdriver. He looked around, saw that I was not carrying a shovel or anything, then muttered about it not being right, which I heartily agreed. I told him I never dig holes in the park with a shovel, and any damage I do with my screwdriver I immediately repair. I also told him that, though I didn't dig the hole, I would refill it because it reflects badly on all detectorists. He was ok with that, I filled the hole, they played, I continued searching.

Many times people have asked to go detecting with me, and sometimes I lend them one of my detectors. I always tell them that I have a couple rules, otherwise I will take my detectors and go home. One, what you find is yours, what I find is mine, and that includes disposing of your trash. Two, and most important, you WILL fill ALL your holes, even in beach sand. So far I've never had any problems with those who go searching with me.

Last edited:

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab & Whites, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The holes, the ones that people don't fill in ruins it for the rest of us. I live next to an old estate that I begged to dig, I told them I would donate whatever I found, and teach kids how to detect. But because it is a state park I got a big fat NO. History wise, it is a gold mine. Such a loss :(

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Yesterday afternoon I was at a popular 1715 fleet beach and wouldn't you know it, some lady with a Bounty Hunter was digging holes left and right in the wet sand. The only reason I mentioned the brand was because they will false like crazy in wet sand and henceforth all the digging. She was also running around like crazy waving her coil 8 inches in the air. She was obviously a newbie / possible tourist who was looking for fleet treasure.

Now a lot of the seasoned treasure hunters around here won't even talk to a newbie and some have actually been known to take great pleasure in misleading them.

This is not my deal, so I figured that I would be nice, give her some advice and ultimately get her to fill her holes.

I turned off my machine and approached her and struck up a conversation. It turns out that she was on vacation and heard about the fleet and went to Wal Mart and bought a detector. I explained that the reason she was hearing lots of beeps and not finding anything was because her machine wasn't designed for wet sand. I told her that she would be better off up by the dry sand and also showed her the correct technique for sweeping her coil. Finally I explained that she should really fill her holes as it was part of our code of ethics and kept people from getting hurt. I also explained that some of us detected these beaches regularly and it made it easier for the rest of us if everyone was responsible as some communities have already put restrictions on metal detecting.

The lady thanked me, filled her holes and headed up to the dry sand. I went about my business and about 20 minutes later felt a tap on my shoulder. It was the same woman and she showed me a women's Bulova watch that she had just found in the dry sand !!!

Maybe I should follow my own advice.........

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best story on this subject I ever read was years ago in Eastern and Western Treasures Magazine...Someone was following another guy around and old park in New York and was filling in the holes and picking up the trash the other guy was leaving behind. Then the other guy gets a signal and digs and digs and looks all around very frustrated. Then he gets up and leaves another messy hole behind with what looked like a 5 dollar gold coin stuck to the back of his shovel, so he followed the other guy around until it fell off and it was indeed a gold $5 piece. He said he picked it up and kept it for the "services rendered" having to clean up after him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread