Anyone using a NEL coil on thier AT Pro?

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to get some unbiased reviews of anyone who has ran a NEL coil on their AT Pro. Also anyone who has ran a NEL on ANY machine that can tell me anything about the quality, service, performance of their coil. Does it change the VID numbers? Tones? Pin pointing?
I am looking specifically at the "Big" coil but welcome any info on any of their coils.
Up until my AT Pro purchase I NEVER even spent $240 on a detector let alone a coil! :laughing7:
Thanks
Steve

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve I to am looking at the NEL coils for my CM GT. Do a Youtube search for "NEL Coil AT Pro" or similar, there are a bunch of videos of people with the NEL. They seem like a good product at a nice price. For my machine there is only one sniper coil from whites, but NEL has a complete line (or so the site says) Seem like the best bet for me, but I think you have more options of other Aftermarket manufactures for the ATP.

OP
OP
choppadude

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up. Youtube here I come!

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have a nel storm for my ace 250 coming in the mail Thursday remind me to get back to you if I don't remember. Research would be a whole lot easier if we spoke Russian haha

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the 5x8 for the ATP, you can only get so much from a machine and I don't think you can do better than the 5x8 coil for an ATP. The 5x8 will pay for itself over and over. Not sure about a nel coil.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a nel hunter for my at pro. Today was its second hunt. I have the stock coil and 5x8 by the way.
Oh and snow sucks! Most targets were under 3-6 inches of packed ice and snow. Then another few inches in the ground. I was hunting a sledding hill. Hacking away I dug many targets. mostly pennies and the hopefull ring/pulltab. Yeah pulltab...
What I learned was more important than the finds though. The coil performs excellent. Seems to take the subtle sounds of the at and takes them up a notch. For Instance... today I dug a few bottlecaps. Double checking the iron audio. It was correct every time. Even on a flattened cap it gave a soft grunt. Very subtle but it was there. I also had a solid penny hit with a grunt. Turned out to be a bottle cap one inch above a penny! I also did some air tests and noticed a few more inches in depth.
The build seems solid as well.
So all I can say is I can't wait for the spring....

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
How is the separation of the hunter compared to the 5x8 or the sniper if you have used that at all

OP
OP
choppadude

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the 5x8 for the ATP, you can only get so much from a machine and I don't think you can do better than the 5x8 coil for an ATP. The 5x8 will pay for itself over and over. Not sure about a nel coil.

Got the 5X8 coil. I keep it on one of my AT Pros and the stock coil on the other. Just itchin to try the NEL.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Just got my nel storm in the mail today. Surprisingly lighter than I thought it would be. I'm going to get it out and test it tonight.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is the separation of the hunter compared to the 5x8 or the sniper if you have used that at all

I have only had two hunts with the coil. Separation seems to be like the stock coil. As the hunter is the same width, just a little longer. I do have the 5x8 which is a fantastic coil. It is Close enough to the stock coils depth, so i usually would use it all the time. Enter the nel hunter... In my opinion the nel widens the gap on performance, compared to the stock or 5x8 coil. Giving the user a noticeable advantage in depth and performance. So both now have there place. Nel for depth and 5x8 for trashy spots. Although I have a feeling, the nel is going to grow on me.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Ok so it's snowing so not much field testing yet but here is some info.

You can max the sensitivity without falsing away from EMI. I had no falsing away from my house. But when I tried messing with it in my house the wifi router made my machine go crazy until I stepped outside and knocked the Sen. Down two notches. After that it was fine. I did some air tests in the garage and here is what I got. I tested the storm in my garage away from my router but I still had to go one notch from maximum sensitivity.

I recorded the results where I got 100% consistency with each pass and solid ID

Stock coil. ___ Storm.
Max Sen. ____ One notch from max.

Clad penny.
8" ___ 9.5"

Copper penny.
8" ___ 10.5"

Nickel.
7" ___ 11"

Dime.
6.5" ___ 10"

Quarter.
9.5" ___ 11.5"

Results on my garrett ace 250
Let me know what other info you want.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL 15" Attack Coil AT PRO....
I ordered one and should have it next weekend to test. I will post honest feedback... Good or bad...

Thanks Gary in Oregon

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It never ceases to amaze me that there is so much hipe spread about alternate coils.
I have several detectors with stock coils that have found just about everything you can find with a detector.
Most detectorist would be far better off upgrading there detector. Just my view from the 70's till now .
Look at it this way, the brains are in the box and the coil is just a winding of wire. Frank...-
coins_0002 H 5 peso.jpg coins_0007 H Sears.jpg coins_0010 2euro harp_edited-1.jpg coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

ruby gold ring 700.jpg plow 700.jpg HISTORICAL SURVEY 011-1-XI.jpg ETC,ETC,ETC,

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never ceases to amaze me that there is so much hipe spread about alternate coils.
I have several detectors with stock coils that have found just about everything you can find with a detector.
Most detectorist would be far better off upgrading there detector. Just my view from the 70's till now .
Look at it this way, the brains are in the box and the coil is just a winding of wire. Frank...-
View attachment 1021380 View attachment 1021381 View attachment 1021382 View attachment 1021383

View attachment 1021387 View attachment 1021388 View attachment 1021389 ETC,ETC,ETC,
I would be willing to bet some of those places you would have found more going back over with a small coil.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It amazes me too...

I have also been detecting since the 70's...I have a Bounty Hunter Raider from back then that still is a great detector...
What amazes me is that some dont understand how more advanced a detector is today. The coils do matter. You need to use the right coil for the right application.
Most people dont take the nessassary time to truly learn their machine... And I mean really learn ever single sound. I remember a time in approx 1980 that me and a friend started on a football feild and a woman came over to us to tell us we were wasting our time because two other guys had been there the last week detecting. They just cleaned all the new stuff off of the field. It was great for us because we spent the next month plus gridding it off and pull over 100 silver dimes off the field plus all of the other coins and jewelry.
Take the time to learn your machine!
And now how do you get the edge over everyone else... Get every single inch out of the ground you can. Good detector...right coil..."the coil matters"
I currently us a Garrett ATPRO

Gary from Oregon

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Attack coil for my AT Pro. vdi is somewhat lower but easy to get used to. I find myself digging a lot of 6" to 8" deep targets.

It covers a tremendous amount of ground. Or in some weed situations.

Be prepared to buy a swing thingy as this coil will kill your arm due to imbalance. With the thingy it is no problem.

It is either it or the 6x8 now. The standard coil is in storage.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I would be willing to bet some of those places you would have found more going back over with a small coil.

About that, I have my doubts. A small coil will not go as deep as a standard issue coil. Now
it's true, you never get it all, but I can pick up more with a standard coil than a sniper coil.
The thing is, I am mostly a cache hunter, so I seldom return. The only exception is some parks to keep my hand in between cache hunts. We all do what we think works best for us. Just my thoughts, Frank...- y gold bars.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have also been detecting since the 70's...I have a Bounty Hunter Raider from back then that still is a great detector...
What amazes me is that some dont understand how more advanced a detector is today. The coils do matter. You need to use the right coil for the right application.
Most people dont take the nessassary time to truly learn their machine... And I mean really learn ever single sound. I remember a time in approx 1980 that me and a friend started on a football feild and a woman came over to us to tell us we were wasting our time because two other guys had been there the last week detecting. They just cleaned all the new stuff off of the field. It was great for us because we spent the next month plus gridding it off and pull over 100 silver dimes off the field plus all of the other coins and jewelry.
Take the time to learn your machine!
And now how do you get the edge over everyone else... Get every single inch out of the ground you can. Good detector...right coil..."the coil matters"
I currently us a Garrett ATPRO

Gary from Oregon

The coil matters about as much as the antenna on a radio. They all are just a length of wire of the proper length to match the wave length of the frequency of your detector. Hay, I worked in electronics for 32 years.
I do not think the average detectorist really understands what his detector is doing electronics wise.
Hay, the antennas on my 2 Box are the trim on the case, and it will go down over 6'. lol Frank...-
111-1 profileRED.jpg

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is anyone following this thread that has never taken the time to read this article, I would highly recommend it. It is 20 pages with lots of pictures. Read it in 2 sittings and again in full after a day of hunting.. Truth About Search Coils

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, that was a kind of technical stew of facts and and theories that should bewilder the average detectorist.
It's, as stated, is kind of a sales push for coil sales by Kellyco.
Think about this! Don't you think the designers of the detector know what works best in the way of a search coil for there detector And don't you think they want you to get the best performance from there detector? So why would they sell an inferior coil with there detector? Think about it!!! If you are not getting the performance you want from your detector, upgrade the detector, not the piece of wire coiled up below it. Because that is all that it is, a coil of wire!!! Jest trying to help the unsuspecting, Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions