Hypothetical question regarding AT Pro swap

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 2 Garrett AT Pro detectors and I absolutely LOVE them! One is set up for the stock coil and the other is set up with the 5X8 coil. Both are set up with Auvio 33-283 headphones, Gunrunners Pro Pointer mounts, Copperpenny's camo covers. I have had my best season of detecting in 30 years with these machines. So what is the problem you say?
I read all the forums like a madman for the knowledge and the incredible finds and stories. Now I am not sure if it is just psychological or what but I just feel I am missing something.
I have always touted how good my AT Pro is but could never really make any comparisons to other machines since all that I have owned in the past has been several Whites (6000 DI pro's, Eagle spectrum) Garrett Grand master Hunters, ACE 250 & 350.
What I am really looking for is some good advice as to what other unit I should be looking for IF I decided to trade up one of my AT Pros. I am basically a coinshooter and already have a water machine with my other AT.
I am really looking for someone who has owned an AT as well as other machines and how they stack up against each other. I will listen to others but give the most credibility to those who have dome real world comparisons.
Would really like ALL the info also like, warranty, customer service, issues.
This really puts me out of my comfort zone since Garrett customer service is the best I have every experience from ANY business that I have dealt with.
I would be either selling or swapping the AT With just the stock coil and realize the used value (still under warranty) is right around $400 - $500 and am willing to throw in a couple hundred more for another machine.
Any info given would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Upvote 0

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the at-pro and in my past I have had many detectors all the way up to the whites v3i i have to say that there might be better machines out there but if you consider the simplicity of the Garrett and its amazing performance the only comparable detector that I have had and would eventually trade for the atpro is the whites mxt. I regret the day I sold that detector to make me use the v3i since I couldn't believe that the mxt was better.... Well it was.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ATP and love it. I also have an Ace 250 and a Whites V3i which i recently purchased. One heck of a big learning curve with the V3i but it is amazing. You will find many more deep targets over 8". The settings you can do are endless. I am just beginning to learn it so I am not an expert on it by any means. When you silence a vdi number it is truly silent. You can set tones to each coin or whatever your hunting. You can have a tone for 25 cents and a different one for 10 cents etc. You can configure the v3i to best suit your hunting.

I am in no way knocking the ATP because i love it. probably the easiest coin machine on the market for a reasonable price. I have out hunted guys with eTracs on more than one occasion and out hunted a guy that had a CTX3030. He hadn't owned the CTX for more than a few months but I found $6+ to his $2+. I bought the V3i because i wasn't happy with my ATP's depth. I rarely found anything at 8" and the V3i rings in an 8" target like it is 2" with the ATP.

I am pretty much a coin hunter myself so I tune my machine to maximize coin shooting. I am constantly tweaking my machines and that's what i am liking about the V3i so far. If i were to upgrade from the ATP and i already have in my eyes there were only two choices. The V3i and the eTrac. I chose the V3i. I can't knock the eTrac because I don't own one but in all side by side tests they appear equal and depending on how the user had them configured one would seem to beat out there other depending on whose videos you watch.

Any guy that is good with his detector will always prefer that he has over what anyone else has. I am not brand loyal and won't knock anyone else. Like everyone says you have to know your detector. The reason I out hunt others guys is more because i knew my detector better than they did and dug fewer but better targets than they did and ended up with more.

Good luck in your search. I researched for 3 months before I bought the V3i and it wasn't an easy decision. I actually bought the V3i because I ended up getting it $450 below retail price.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Atpro's Ill tell ya to are hard to beat for what they do, & how versitle they really are I've had a v3i with many coils, a deus xp aswell, after a string a bad luck but improving I'd say I now own a minelabe xterra 705 another very well rounded machine with an ability to change frequencies, has a backlight, & many more options I do think having used the pro & the 705 the 705 does have more to offer in many ways but then don't forget its not waterproof like the pro. The biggest learning curve I had was the v3i long time to learn it cuz of so many options more then anything made period. Really gonna depend on what ur looking to spend but I'd say look into the 705 its not a top top shelf unit but it does have some high end options

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Xterra 705 all the way. Multiple frequencies, light weight, great depth, prospecting mode ..... Damn, I've gotta get one !!!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Xterra 705 all the way. Multiple frequencies, light weight, great depth, prospecting mode ..... Damn, I've gotta get one !!!!
The 705 is a single frequency detector no matter what coil you use or put on the 705 it is still only a single frequency detector…..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can pick up mint Explorer SE Pro in that price range. That would be my choice or a new 705. I've never used either but do have the Explorers cousin, the Etrac and love it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
choppadude

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great info guys! That is exactly what I am looking for, some unbiased opinions without a lot of chest thumping. So far Minelab is a front runner but need to get some info on their customer service. I hope to never have to use it but if so I want to know what to expect. They are located outside the US Right? Do they have a US repair center?
Whites is always temping as their customer service is parallel to Garrett's, both excellent.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 is a single frequency detector no matter what coil you use or put on the 705 it is still only a single frequency detector.....

Yes it is a single frequency I think he also knows that what I think he means is the frequency can be changed simply by changing coils unlike any other machine

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the 305 has three frequencies but the 705 just one? Did not know that.

No the entire line 30,50,70,305,505,705 all of them can change there frequencies by a coil chsnge

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of customer service if it were a whites machine then call ed from treasure mountain detectors great guy hands down. If you go minelabe u got a couple guys that can shed that light on there customer service Keith from fortbedford detectors,petrie Jeremy from vances detectors & Bart from big boys

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But what ever coil you put on the 30,50,70, 305,505 , 705 that just changes the frequency .. it is still a single frequency detector …

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is ur just not stuck with only having one frequency to use one day you could be using a 3khz looking for deep silver the next day you could be using the 18khz looking for gold. Quite versatile I think,

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Yes I get that - probably just phased it wrong. 3 frequencies but only 1 at a time ..... like having 3 different detectors almost

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread