Do you dig deep signals?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    free2Dtect

Do you dig deep signals?

This was bought up in another topic. I was wondering if other hunters have had some nice finds by digging up the deep signal. I know in wet ground I've dug some real iffy signals, they turned out to be coins over 100+ years old. Hope to see some replies!

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    34978 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Do you dig deep signals?

I especially LIKE deep signals. LESS Trash down there

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    34978 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Barber Half at approx. 14", Seated Dimes 10" plus , Bust Dimes also 10" + , Cone Top BEER CANS from the 30's & 40's 3 Feet to name a few

Vingamel

I'm only a month into this hobby, but I did find what appeared to be a metal box. I kept clearing away the dirt, because it had somebody's initials on it. Finally, I read the initials, and wondered if it might be the locally famous General Ashton Stonewall. He was well known to use just initials on all his documents:
    G A S

Now I know what a gas shutoff valve sounds like.

us
    Jan 2005
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
    33 times

Free,

After detecting for close to 30 years, deep signals are really all I like to hear anymore. One might still find the occasional site with 6" and less good targets present, and I dont' leave good shallow targets in the ground, but frankly, it gives me an extra thrill to hunt 'worked out' areas for those deep whispers and come up with a keeper everyone else missed.

Funny, I won't pick up a cent on the street anymore (I've graduated to nickels and above... ) but I'll spend 10 min or more recovering a deep IH or wheatie and feel good about it. And though clad spends just fine, I won't go to the farigrounds after the fair looking for surface stuff. Just my style of hunting, now I guess. But I'm not knocking anyone else for doing so!

Two deep finds come to memory....one an 1885 seated dime at 10" in an old town square ( using 10" coil on the old ADS III) and the only seated half I've found, an 1877 found down about a foot at an old church yard, about 3 ft from the foundation (same coil and detector). Both were whisper signals, but I was really crawling and that's what I was listening for....

Knipper

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    57 times

That avatar on my posts. Collar pin 9+ inches under a roadbed torn up for rebuilding. At a park in town where the Ill. Nat. Guard did their annual encampment in 1909. The actual camp site was also carnival grounds from turn of the century into the 40's. It also served as a muni golf course for almost all those years and still is. Oh yeah, it's also unhunted. One of these days it will be an MD'ers dream come true hunt site but that's still in the works. Now stay off of my block you claim jumpers.

Here's a shot of a couple other deepies in town here from the parkway work:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinheel.gif 
Views:	318 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	63480  

Dec 2004
    New Jersey
    49 times

Thats a heelplate.....correct?

us
    Jan 2005
    Clifton Park NY
    Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
    1 times

I think the deepest signals Ive gotten 9-12 inches. ?It was until recently that I started noting what I found at what depth, but without going through my records, they are at home, and I am at work now, this is what I have found.

1794 Large Cent - approx. 11 inches.
    1917 Mercury dime - approx. 9 inches.
    1826D French half Franc - approx 10 inches.

The 1794 Large Cent was found years ago, with a detector that did not have a depth gauge. ?I remember digging the hole, and thinking nothing is 6 inches down, checking the hole, have it still be in there, and thinking nothing is 7 inches down, and having it still be in there. ?This went on a few more times, and there was even one point where I filled the hole back in and walked away and then went back and dug it again.

The mercury dime was odd, because it was obviously well circulated. ?It really weird how a dime that spent that much time in circulation got so deep.

The french coin was also really weird, since it was in a new cemetary where dirt had been trucked in for fill. ?So this coin was laying someone else, and ended up in a new cemetary, 9 inches deep.

Anthony

Oct 2004
    stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
    Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
    10 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

All I dig is treasure coast beaches, and have twice dug (or helped dig) very strong deep signals. Both exercises were rewarded at about 3 feet with an antique radial tire from one of the treasure ships.

us
    Minelab Metal Militia

Aug 2004
    Smoky Mountains
    Minelab Whites
    27 times

Yes, i dig faint sound and threshold break signals. Last summer i pulled a 1905 Barber Quarter around 14" down that gave off a faint and unwavering signal and an 1872 Canadian small nickel (Fishscale)

The small nickel was tricky as it was around 14" down and only gave off a short faint breaking signal. If you approached it from different directions sweeping it the threshold would click and null out repeatedly and indicate a ferrous target. If you sweeped it just right you would get a nice faint tone before it would null if you continued to sweep. I took a chance and dug it and pulled three rusty nails before i found it deeper in the hole. This was in an old school yard that had been previously detected i'm sure, as it was the only silver coin i found there

us
    The Money Pit must be the Titanic of empty holes and empty wallets.

Apr 2004
    401 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

yes, I dug two spanish half reales at 10" mark and a Colonial cent at 12" . Numerous other coins at 8-10" mark. i think all but a few were very old coins.
    Everybody has an opinion - this is mine. Humor will be part of that opinion. I've found things - some can only dream about. Some was pure luck, some was pure knowledge and skill. After 40 years at MD'ing (off and on), I know a few things about finding treasure lost in the ground. As a retired software engineer, I now have unlimited time on my hands. Life really doesn't matter unless you are true to yourself and in your dealings with other people.

Dec 2004
    68 times

always heard that" the deeper , the better !!" and who am i to argue

Jim Cal

FTD, I love those deep signals....especially the ones that are just a whisper. Most of the mercury dimes I've found were just very faint, but repeatable, whispers. I've also been fortunate enough to hunt for civil war relics in tennessess and kentucky and found the very deepest signals were the best finds. Maybe the easy surface stuff was discovered by those less patient who detected there before me but I always like the deep stuff. Of course, when I am searching in an area that's really trashy it is harder to find the deep signals but still possible. Sometimes I decide to dig everything just to see what I'm leaving behind and it always surprises me that some of the things I used to find when I started out in the 70's are still there waiting if I am just patient enough. Happy hunting! Jim Cal

sal1966

OK WHAT IF YOUR MACHINE SAYS LIKE 4 INCHES AND THE SIGNALS LOUD, THE ID NUMBER IS LIKE BETWEEN ,OH SAY 60 AND 92 ON THE WHITES XLT AND THERS NOTHING AT THE 4 INCHES? I'VE DUG DEEPER AND SAME READING: 4INCHES SAME ID NUMBER AND NOTHING.SHOULD I KEEP DIGGING OR PASS IT OFF AS A HOT ROCK??

Jan 2005
    southeastern ohio

I dig every target I can no matter how deep. I'm sure if someone saw me they would think I'm a large groundhog. I've found some good stuff this way and also unidentifiable rusty things. If it's a good site and I'm the only MDer, I take my time. Someone would be hard pressed to find a nail when I'm through. I will spend weeks on a good site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links