rrth

Jan 19, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ID Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavy (maybe lead) spherical ball. About 2 1/2 " in diameter, weighs about 5 pounds. Has bumps on it in various patterns, generally about 1/2" diameter, round, about 3/16" high in the center. a little smaller than a baseball. Did cannonballs have a pattern of bumps? Someone suggested a ball shaped lead ingot???

Attachments

• LEADBALL.jpg
    LEADBALL.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a magnet?? Looks kind of like rusty iron to me.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron will "bump" like that. As stated, see if it's magnetic.

OP
OP
R

rrth

Jan 19, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ID Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not magnetic. and it is way too heavy to be iron or steel. The bumps are in a sperific pattern. From one side of the ball, one bump in the center, encircled by six bumps around it, encircled by twelve bumps around the six. The other side has the same exact pattern of 19 bumps. If you rotate it 90 degrees, the two circles of twelve bumps are about one inch apart. The ball is not rusty. It is dark gray with lighter gray bumps. The surface is rough, especially the bumps.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try putting it in the "what's it" forum, someone may know. It is a mystery.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
It is not magnetic. and it is way too heavy to be iron or steel. The bumps are in a sperific pattern. From one side of the ball, one bump in the center, encircled by six bumps around it, encircled by twelve bumps around the six. The other side has the same exact pattern of 19 bumps. If you rotate it 90 degrees, the two circles of twelve bumps are about one inch apart. The ball is not rusty. It is dark gray with lighter gray bumps. The surface is rough, especially the bumps.
You need a stronger magnet. You also state its not iron or steel because of its weight. Its not gold and its not silver. It must be lead or your refrigerator magnet is not strong enough. Scrub it with a wire brush

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you said the "bumps" were intentional, I thought it may be a mace or flail(weapons). Good luck IDing it

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am color blind but from the overall look I say its definitely iron. Might try electrolysis. Much more detail might emerge...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A bag of lead balls used for a musket,pistol, or what ever muzzle loader they would fit.
They have been in the ground for so long that they annealed together in the shape of the bag, or leather pouch they where in.

OP
OP
R

rrth

Jan 19, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ID Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. I have strong magnets. It is not magnetic and is 98% gray and weighs much more than iron.
RR

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can try to find the density of it to get a closer guess of what material it is made of.

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You near the coast lake or river? Could be a weight for a casting net? Would have had a bunch of these around the edge of the net.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread