Minelab 705 vs Etrac worth the cost difference?

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Guys and Gals,
Looking to get another Minelab for coin hunting and maybe a little relic. I have had the Etrac and happy, do not own it anymore. I am getting back into this incredible hobby. I have heard great things about the 705, and always hear good things about the Etrac. The cost difference is huge, and I am trying to justify in my head. Money is not a problem! But why pay for the Etrac if the 705 can basically do the same thing within reason? I know you get what you pay for, but I am hearing folks with the 705 getting the same depth as the Etrac. Again just what I am hearing, not trying to start any arguments here. I would like some input from others either way? Finds with the 705? Depth? Or should I just go back to old faithful, being the Etrac?
Keep swinging...

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge difference in the two machines, hence the huge price difference. One is a single frequency machine, one is multi-frequency. Then there is the filtering and programing differences. The choice is up to you, but the DIFFERENCE in the two machines is pretty huge and undeniable. With all of that said, I still use my Tesoro Vaquero with a 12"x10" coil, so what the heck do I know? Good Hunting!

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Terry, thank you for the reply. I know these things, and maybe should have rerworded my question. But if I were to purchase the 705, what would I be giving up? Am I really going to miss that much? I have metal detected since 96' and know a lot of my sounds, etc., but always learning more. If an Etrac were to follow right be hind me and lets say the exact same way I swing, in a old home site lets say, is he or she really going to pick something up that I did not know was even there? I know if I just go purchase the Etrac, everything would be simpler, but if the 705 can basically do the same thing, I can vest my money in other items as well, like a Pro Pointer or??
Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't know what to tell you. I believe from past experience that the E-Trac is not going to go any deeper, or find anything that I am not going to find with my 12"x10" equipped Vaquero. The main thing about the E-trac is it will work in wet saltwater sand where my single-freq Vaquero won't. But, then again, I have a Tesoro Sand Shark for wet saltwater sand. The E-Trac is a sophisticated machine with a fairly steep learning curve. I do not have enough time (I only have about 100-hours on the E-Trac) on the E-Trac to really know how to use it to its full advantage. I have thousands of hours on the Vaquero and Lobo Super Traq, and just feel more comfortable with these machines.

I got an E-Trac for Christmas, and I sold it without taking it out of the box. I guess I am just not sophisticated enough for the E-Trac, as I am just too happy with my Tesoro's.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If money's no object, look at the CTX. It's an Etrac on steroids and doesn't mind rain or wading! It's very similar to the Etrac, but somewhat easier to navigate around in the controls than the Etrac IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thanks Fletch. I have been looking into that one as well. I am trying to do as much homework instead of just spending the cash. It does look nice and has great reviews, still on my list.
Take care.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all good machines. I used an Xterra 50,then the Xterra 705 for a few years. Moved up to Etrac, and now use the CTX3030. The Etrac and CTX do well in highly mineralized soil. The CTX has a faster processor, and excels in iron.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Xterra, but would switch to an Etrac if I was strong enough to swing it. I think it gives more target ID information and goes deeper than the Xterra. If Minelab could ever lighten up the Etrac or 3030, I'd buy one for sure.

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thanks to everyone who replied. I went ahead and purchased the 705, with a Coiltek 6" and a Coiltek 15", and a set of Black Widows. If I can not hit them with this unit, there is none to be found :treasurechest:!!
I will keep all posted as the year progresses. Does anyone know where to find a good setup for coins on the 705?
Keepim swingin...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who replied. I went ahead and purchased the 705, with a Coiltek 6" and a Coiltek 15", and a set of Black Widows. If I can not hit them with this unit, there is none to be found :treasurechest:!!
I will keep all posted as the year progresses. Does anyone know where to find a good setup for coins on the 705?
Keepim swingin...

The preset pattern 1 works well for coins.

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious what the tones on the 705 sound like. I had an se pro and have been wondering if minelab has the same type of tones for their machines. Let us know what you think about the machine. I am thinking about getting one myself.

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thanks Gary. I will keep all posted.

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thanks SusanMN, hope it does well for me as it has for you.

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Mreese1849, will do. from what I have seen and heard thus far via youtube, sounds close, maybe not a exact match, but close. I have had the SE Pro, and Etrac, they were pretty much spot on, but then again different. I am sure I will have to train my ears again.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious what the tones on the 705 sound like. I had an se pro and have been wondering if minelab has the same type of tones for their machines. Let us know what you think about the machine. I am thinking about getting one myself.

Low garbled grunts on iron, high flutey on silver, and medium tones on pennies. A calliope sound, up and down the scale on tabs.

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Etrac and ctx are going to go deep as well as give you advanced tools to eliminate digging alot of trash. Lots of deep detectors out there but its the tools to dig more coins that the Etrac and CTX goes above and beyond the competition.Unless you like digging lots of trash.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac and ctx are going to go deep as well as give you advanced tools to eliminate digging alot of trash. Lots of deep detectors out there but its the tools to dig more coins that the Etrac and CTX goes above and beyond the competition.Unless you like digging lots of trash.

I've come to realize for some people beep is just beep, and the fact a question like this is even asked makes me suspect the poster may be one of those people. It falls into the same category of people who say detectors with screens are for coins, and ones without are for relics....and the guts of the detector don't seem to count. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind the higher end Multi Freq. detectors are much better than something like a 705 to many, but I'm not sure if it's better for everyone. To some it's just a bigger heavier detector to haul around to do the same thing. Sort of like throwing your detector in the back of an 18 wheeler and driving to your site.

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thanks Iron Patch. I have owned the other units, except the CTX. For sure I do think they are better, BUT from what I have seen the 705 in the right hands and trained ears can almost do the same thing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iron Patch. I have owned the other units, except the CTX. For sure I do think they are better, BUT from what I have seen the 705 in the right hands and trained ears can almost do the same thing.

Yes, it is a pretty small % of targets, basically the tough ones that we're talking about that a more expensive detector might have the capability to get, and if you're not detecting in certain type of situations.... deep, salt, very masked, etc., that % gets pretty close to zero. I definitely need these advantages where I hunt, but if I was to switch to cleaner ground where the targets were usually 4"-6" it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread