Minelab 705 Coils?

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
What is the best coil to use for coin shooting? I see there are a few different ones. I will hunting all over, for I am in sales and travel quite a bit. Any help will be appreciated. I am antisapating purchaseing one, if not I will go to the SE Pro or Etrac. I just figured the 705 would be lighter and simpler to master, eventhough I have owned a Etrac. Just want to hit the ground running. So if there was one or two coils to get, which ones for the 705?
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil that it comes with works great for coinshooting. If you were going to buy an additioal coil I'd go with a six inch for trashy areas.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 9" 7.5 Khz coil that comes with the Xterra is a great all around coil and does really well on coins as well. A really good companion coil would be the 6" Digger coil that is 3 Khz by Coiltek.

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thank you to all that replied. I will keep all posted.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day I was out at a park testing the 705 for the first day I started with the stock 7.5khz concentric coil it came with a pretty trashy park, hit very well on coins & u could here bottle caps, trash ect, I then tossed the 6" 7.5 kHz concentric coil on, not for very long I didn't have much time left but it seemed to hit very deep & was id'ing things very presice

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really is no doubt as to the most popular coil for the XTerra series - it's the 6"Coiltek "Digger" 3 kHz. Coiltek 6" X-Terra Digger coil

Since you would be traveling, it's also nice in that it is small and compact. :)

A lot of guys also like the separation of the 10.5" DD 7.5 kHZ coil....

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really is no doubt as to the most popular coil for the XTerra series - it's the 6"Coiltek "Digger" 3 kHz. Coiltek 6" X-Terra Digger coil

Since you would be traveling, it's also nice in that it is small and compact. :)

A lot of guys also like the separation of the 10.5" DD 7.5 kHZ coil....

Looks like a nice coil, but whats up with not being waterproof?

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
I got the 6" Coiltek 3khz, and the 15" Coiltek 7.5 Khz. Plus the factory one from Minelab. I am getting excited. Does anyone know if you have to do anything special when putting on the Coiltek coils? Ground balance again, etc.?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't ever used a coil tec, so can't answer that part. But I always ground balance when I turn my machine on and when the terrain changes, like from dirt to sand, while I am hunting.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice coil, but whats up with not being waterproof?
Hi Scanman, the newest Coiltek "Digger" coils are waterproof, it was a change made in late 2013. Thanks for asking (and reminding me that I need to update my website!)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really isn't much to do when changing to a Digger coil... just ground balance, adjust sensitivity and go! There are some people who report that they can really crank up the sensitivity with it as compared to other coils. :)

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BUMPING For New Question.

Any huge difference for Coin-Shooting parks, homes, old sites, etc. when using a .... (no beach, relic, or major hunting ever)

Stock 9" Concentric Coil (7.5Khz)

image.jpg

vs.

10" DD Coil (7.5 Khz)

image (1).jpg

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

This detector is one I am considering and was a bit bummed that the unit does not have the seemingly new standard DD coil. I see they sell a 10" DD and wondering if it's worth the $180 premium over the stock 9" Concentric coil for my uses stated above.

Thanks so much for any further information you can provide comparing these two coils.
:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread