How to test your batteries before you go detecting (quick video)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I'd rely on that test if I was going way out in the field somewhere. You can usually get a tester at Harbor Freight for free or close to it with just about any kind of purchase. Regardless of which way you test a battery, it's best to just carry some spares with you. Batteries that test good can still fail.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a 16 pack in the Jeep, and a change of batteries in my finds pouch, nothing worse than dead batteries in the middle of an awesome spot!! a mile from the Jeep.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video! I'd never heard that before.

If it wasn't 0 degrees here right now I'd pack my detector and test mine in the thrill of the hunt!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the first I've ever heard or seen that one. I will have to try that out for sure because I just don't believe it. It would have held a lot more weight if the batteries were both the same brand in the test. I would say its a difference in the manufacturing construction between the brands. I could be dead wrong but surely this would be a known way of testing batteries way before now.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow all my dead batteries are good yet :laughing7:

BoonvilleKid

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2014
Boonville, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Eagle Spectrum
Minelab Explorer
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cannot correctly test a battery with a testing machine, in the manner shown. Just testing a battery for voltage does not show the condition of the battery under load. Even a battery that is nearly dead will still show a high voltage, but put that battery under load (like using it in your md) and the voltage will go way down. To correctly test a battery you must place a load (resistance) on it while checking the voltage. And, if you have a good electrical tester, you can do just that.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the newer MDs display the battery status on the screen. I always just take extra batteries just in case..... Like someone else said?!?!

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting video but this is just another example of "black and white thinking". Most batteries are usually somewhere in-between "totally dead" and "totally good". This bounce test likely can't show you the minute differences between different batteries in the questionable range. Still, it is an interesting test and I'll have to give it a try to see if it really holds any water.

Thanks for sharing.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tm!! Must be the Pink Rabbitt inside keeping the battery standing up!! He He!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! I always carry fresh batteries, my life likes to take unusual twists and turns, but useful info, thanks!

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I have been bouncing batteries for days now. Can we get a Mod to take down this video? I would not trust it. But it is interesting haha. I always take a lot of extra batteries. Even though my detector says they are good I feel the machine does better with fresh sometimes. Maybe it gives me more confidence?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread