"Newbie" best md for $400

Jan 24, 2014
I'm looking to purchase a new md after using a cheap bounty hunter for a month. I live by Atlanta Georgia and mostly looking for old relics. However, I would also like to maybe search for nuggets since my uncle lives next to a gold mine. I have done some research but still not sure what to consider. What would be a good coil to use and purchase along the md. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $400.00 I suggest you look at the Fisher F4. With the standard 11" Bi-Axial coil, it is a great relic, coin and beach machine. Add a smaller 4" or 8" coil and take it nugget shooting if you get the chance. JMHO

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the White's Coinmaster GT for my first MD. $399 I am enjoying it and was able to learn it rather well within 20 hours or so. Nothing to compare it to and it is not all that popular on the forums for some reason. I have pulled coins from 8" and larger things like a cast toy truck from the 40's at 12"+

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, if you buy from a dealer who is a forum sponsor you can probably stretch those dollars a little bit. Call them to get your pricing. Any of the sponsors on here will take care of you. You will probably need a detector with manual or auto ground balance. At the $400 dollar mark to get a detector that meets your requirements, you probably won't have any left over for the coil.

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may want to look at good used models in that price range. Do your research and take your time. Don't rush into a purchase just because it fits your budget.

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get another $100.00 and buy a Whites M6 - trust me. I believe most others will agree.

That's interesting. I have an M6 coming my way. I traded a detector that was sitting in the closet for it. I hear they are great machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread