jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also put in a vote for the Sunray with an F-75. The price of the X-1 is getting out of hand, so it may not be a good option any more for the Explorers and Etracs. :BangHead:

But if a Sunray probe is available for your detector its performance is well worth the cost difference versus a handheld pinpointer.

yes they run about $200 new for the Sunray FX-1

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really that bad. Figuring with shipping and handling, about $60 more than a hand held. Weight on the machine is something that is not attractive to me, even though it is only 10oz. Can anyone tell me how the Sunray would work with a Prizim/CM GT? The Coinmaster GT requires you to hole the PP button on the control to get true Non Motion Pin Point. Is that an issue with using the Sunray?

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds to me like it would be an issue on the GT: holding the pp button pushed in with one hand and handling the Sunray probe in the other. I would think the Sunray would only be ergonomically comfortable with a detector where you could keep the pinpoint function switched on without having to keep a button depressed while handling the probe. That question was posted 5 months ago. What did you end up doing?

By the way, Doug, I am considering the purchase of a used (12 year old) DFX locally that comes with a Sunray probe for around $500. As you know, the other option I was considering was the Coinmaster GT and purchasing a separate Whites TRX, the total cost approaching $500. What are your thoughts about these options?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like it would be an issue on the GT: holding the pp button pushed in with one hand and handling the Sunray probe in the other. I would think the Sunray would only be ergonomically comfortable with a detector where you could keep the pinpoint function switched on without having to keep a button depressed while handling the probe. That question was posted 5 months ago. What did you end up doing?

By the way, Doug, I am considering the purchase of a used (12 year old) DFX locally that comes with a Sunray probe for around $500. As you know, the other option I was considering was the Coinmaster GT and purchasing a separate Whites TRX, the total cost approaching $500. What are your thoughts about these options?
You do not have to hold the pinpoint button, you have a switch box on detector shaft that make the probe a 1 inch coil. When you are done you just switch back to main coil.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . but it seems like the extra wires could lead to a bit of a rats nest effect if not careful.

No rats nest. And no button - just a toggle switch. It is a 1" coil paired with your regular coil. You can even ground balance it if you choose. Even without headphones it uses your detector's TID or other display.

HPIM1350_zpsd31dfe20-1.jpg
HPIM1351_zpsbb3a0766.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread