Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, which would you recommend? I don't use headphones, so the point of the Sunray using my detector's audio doesn't really do much for me. I hear good things about both of them, but which will give me the best overall performance for the price?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want performance, get the Sunray. If you are concerned about cost, get the Garrett.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cost doesn't much bother me, as I could pick up a used one for the same as, or less than, what a new propointer is. The only thing that concerns me with the sunray is the wires. I've never seen one mounted on in person, but it seems like the extra wires could lead to a bit of a rats nest effect if not careful.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are organized, it's not difficult to keep things neat. I've never had a problem keeping mine tucked out of the way when not in use.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are organized, it's not difficult to keep things neat. I've never had a problem keeping mine tucked out of the way when not in use.
I'm sure if you would get one of the holder clips for on the detector it would help a lot. Well, as of now, I'll probably buy a sunray, unless someone can get on here and change my mind, but I don't see that happening. I still have a few more bitterly cold months to make up my mind anyway.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have and use both. The wiring on the Sunray has never been a problem and you can't leave it behind. On the other hand the Pro pointer can be used with whatever detector you have in hand. Performance favors the Sunray by a big bunch as it's considerably deeper and you can take advantage of the discrimination of the detector and make use of the pinpoint function as well. I have multiple detectors, some don't have Sunrays available or I'd have one on each detector. Propointer works pretty well with these so, ultimately, either one will get the job done.
luvsdux

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might want to look at the new White's Pinpointer.. read one post that hit could hang with the sunray..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want performance, get the Sunray. If you are concerned about cost, get the Garrett.

This is what I was going to say.

Sunray Hand's down if money isn't important.

Garrett if it is :thumbsup:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
To me its really not the money. I've just gotten use to the Garrett. I don't think my finds would go up that much with the sunray. But like my wife says. "Are you that stupid?":dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me its really not the money. I've just gotten use to the Garrett. I don't think my finds would go up that much with the sunray. But like my wife says. "Are you that stupid?":dontknow:

No... for the most part your finds won't change.
just possibly the ease & speed of recovery.

and if you wish to discrminate what you dig, even at that final stage,
you can with the Sunray.

other then that, with the Sunray you will in effect,
be carrying around a 1" coil for your detector, that will do everything your
regular coil will do, but can be used in tighter spaces. so your finds totals in theory could go up.

depth is definitely better too., because you are using your detectors power.
No need for replacing batteries, the Sunray don't need them.

Worth it ? :dontknow: not at that price to me

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have anything else to spend money on, so I might as well just go for the sunray if it will be better in the end.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jason is right: the sunray is superior. Fun to use, shares the same audio as your own detector, tucks away nice when not in use, nothing extra to lug around, etc... But if price were an issue, then sure, get the stand-alone type.

DukeOBass

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Sunray is superior. With the Garrett, you can't tell where the iron is and where your "good" target is in the hole so you stand a great chance of damaging your good target while digging multiple iron iron target as you clean the hole out. Sunray pinpoints the keeper immediately. I'd like to see Deus build a wireless pinpointed that work with the control box readout.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, which would you recommend? I don't use headphones, so the point of the Sunray using my detector's audio doesn't really do much for me. I hear good things about both of them, but which will give me the best overall performance for the price?
I'll send you in a different direction and say neither. Check out a Uniprobe. You can use it with just about any detector (unlike the Sunray) I realize you you say you don't use headphones but you're probably missing targets if you don't. It's also nice to be able to detect in silence so those around you aren't alerted to your activity.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't say that I don't use headphones, I use a set of Apple earbuds. That way I'm the only one who can hear it, but I am still aware of my surroundings. I have a pair of Koss noise reduction headphones, but I wear glasses, and the ear cup things mess them up. So I don't wear them. As far as I know, my F-75 sounds off at the same volume level for every target it hits.

I know I said money isn't really an issue, I just don't think I can justify spending $350 on a pinpointer.

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sun Ray probe is the ticket !! I have and use both as others have said, but the sun ray uses the ability of the detector to send back info of values (vid #s) of targets. If you try one you will never go without.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say that I don't use headphones, I use a set of Apple earbuds. That way I'm the only one who can hear it, but I am still aware of my surroundings. I have a pair of Koss noise reduction headphones, but I wear glasses, and the ear cup things mess them up. So I don't wear them. As far as I know, my F-75 sounds off at the same volume level for every target it hits.

I know I said money isn't really an issue, I just don't think I can justify spending $350 on a pinpointer.

I know I saw one for the explorer listed at $350 :( this is the reason
I a griping over price.

I have no idea on prices for other models

I paid around $100 each for my two Sunrays I use on my Sovereign

But they are the larger, older models

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread