Finds from last few weeks, shield? ID help please.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Attached are some photos of some metal detecting finds over the past 3-4 weeks, weather permitting. :(
Top left of the photo is a 1794 half cent, that was a real surprise. I stopped at a local fishing hole where I go a couple times a year just to load up on lead fishing weights at low tide. Since tide was real low I walked a couple hundred yards up the river away from the fishing site to a gravel bar where I had picked up a few arrowheads before. No arrowheads were found that day so I turned the detector on, and immediately found this half cent. Will check there again with the detector when tide is low again, and weather is better.

The 4 items in the top right corner are from a friends farm. He recently had some survey work done on the property and was excited to tell me that one of the old maps he saw at the surveyors office showed an old school to have once existed on the back edge of his property, or just over the property line. A quick scan with the detector turned up two flat buttons, one with the word " LONDON" on the back flanked by two sheafs of grain, and a half cent of the type used between 1800 and 1808.

The items on the bottom of the photo came from the same farm, but 1/2 mile away from the school site, where there is an old home site. I had hit this site a half dozen times over the last 5 years and thought I had most of the coins cleaned out, but started finding them again almost as if I had never been there. In the past this home site has produce a half dozen or so Mercs and silver Rosies, as well as 4 silver Washington quarters, and a dozen or more early wheaties, the oldest coin I had found there was a late Indian head cent. I was really surprised when the 1787 Connecticut copper came up in a an area of the site I hadn't really looked in much, so will have to check that area again when the snow melts. Can anyone tell me what the copper shield looking item is? It has two iron attachment points on the back of it. thank you.
Skip B.JPG

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the "shield"?top does kind of have a shild design. But man i love them old coins.Great, great finds.I would love to go on that site your diggin.I would slow down double time where you found those old coppers.Bound to be old silver.Never know ,could even hit up on that gold piece!Good luck too you and happy diggin." snow is nothing but in the way ":BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread