Do freezing temperatures in the field kill batteries?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last weekend I had to get out detecting in frigid temperatures after a mild spurt which thawed out the ground. It was -2 Celsius or 27 F but with the windchill was 14 F or colder. Hope I got the conversions right! Put it this way, I had 3 pairs of wool socks on and it so cold my toes went numb! Face had to be covered as well to avoid possible frostbite.

Anyway, I had freshly charged 9 Volt batteries and as backup new Duracell batteries. Towards the end of the first 4 hour hunt, the rechargables went dead. Thought there was something wrong with the batteries since they usually last about 15-20 hrs. The next two days I went out with the Duracells and those batteries also became weak very quickly which was unusual. They usually last about 30 plus hrs.

So would the cold do this to the batteries? I thought it would take days stored in the cold to weaken batteries, not a few hours of detecting. Also, can the freezing temperatures damage the rechargable batteries or metal detector?

Anyway, had productive hunts. Found a 1940's coin spill and nice silver so it was worth it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Might be time for fresh batteries.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be time for fresh batteries.

Both sets were fresh batteries and never had this happen before. Don't usually detect in those temperatures like that either.

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
short answer .. yes .. longer answer

Answer: The electric current generated by a battery is produced when a connection is made between its positive and negative terminals. When the terminals are connected, a chemical reaction is initiated that generates electrons to supply the current of the battery. Lowering the temperature causes chemical reactions to proceed more slowly, so if a battery is used at a low temperature then less current is produced than at a higher temperature. As the batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nearly all batteries, including the lead acid battery in your car, can or will be affected by cold if the temperature is low enough. If cold is the main culprit, the batteries should bounce back and behave normally once they and the detector has warmed up.
luvsdux

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know! probably has something to do with it. Man,there's nothing like being along way out hunting,and current batteries die,open brand new replacements,only to find they are dead from being store improperly.Worse then forgetting to bring water.Nice finds,gotta love silver.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont know! probably has something to do with it. Man,there's nothing like being along way out hunting,and current batteries die,open brand new replacements,only to find they are dead from being store improperly.Worse then forgetting to bring water.Nice finds,gotta love silver.

The batteries weren't stored improperly. They were new from the package and were inside. Actually we had a very cold winter after years of having mild ones. So much for global warming! The old-timers call this an old fashioned winter! I'd don't normally detect in freezing temperatures but cabin fever had set in and the ground previously thawed enough to get out, but then got cold again. I never had batteries drain so quickly when I detected which is unusual as I get many hunts from the rechargables and Durcells last for many hunts. As stated before it was that cold, my toes became numb and actually started hurting from the cold after wearing 3 pairs of wool socks!

Hope it isn't cold in NJ when they have the Superbowl next weekend! It will be uncomfortable playing those conditions! The players will find it uncomfortable for sure! Hope it is a good game!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As was stated, batteries lose power when they get cold just like your car battery in the winter. Even batteries in a pocket as replacements will lose juice if not kept warm.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Second what Sandman said. My cell phone stays in my car. In the summer a charge will last 2 weeks. In this cold crap we have now, a charge will last 3 days.

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a couple of those little hand warmer packets and wrap them around the batteries.
And get those warmer footbeds for your shoes... they are fantastic!
they have them at Walmart and other fine shopping establishments.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol... get ready for the long awaited Ice age! Man, from your original post that just sounds cold.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN(S)!!!!! I is so sorry to hear about ya'll's problems! Dontcha hate when that happens! LOL! sorry.....

I hope and pray I never see snow, or have to slip and slide my way outta the north ever again, via the Jersey turnpike!
I musta FROZE in a previous life, I is a beach bunny! BEACH BUNNY! Ain't no snow bunny here!
(sorry I ain't got pics to follow that up with for you folks, maybe later)

But I will say, I think every Canadian that aint froze is on our beacheses here! LOL!
Yep, I got a 3 x 6 spot on the sand, I'll rent cheap! :laughing7: 78 Fahrenheit ok?

Why ain't ya'll down here, yet? HUH!

Oh sorry, I digress......:laughing7:
I do know they have to keep that heavy machinery running 24/7 for weeks, don't they?
I always thought HEAT was they enemy of batteries? whadaiknow, I'm just a cat. :cat:

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MAN(S)!!!!! I is so sorry to hear about ya'll's problems! Dontcha hate when that happens! LOL! sorry.....

I hope and pray I never see snow, or have to slip and slide my way outta the north ever again, via the Jersey turnpike!
I musta FROZE in a previous life, I is a beach bunny! BEACH BUNNY! Ain't no snow bunny here!
(sorry I ain't got pics to follow that up with for you folks, maybe later)

But I will say, I think every Canadian that aint froze is on our beacheses here! LOL!
Yep, I got a 3 x 6 spot on the sand, I'll rent cheap! :laughing7: 78 Fahrenheit ok?

Why ain't ya'll down here, yet? HUH!

Oh sorry, I digress......:laughing7:
I do know they have to keep that heavy machinery running 24/7 for weeks, don't they?
I always thought HEAT was they enemy of batteries? whadaiknow, I'm just a cat. :cat:

I'm booking a flight down there as of now! I wish! Actually my sister was just down there for a month during Christmas and did she rub it when she got back! There is a storm on the way for here now and with it, 15 inches of snow! Cabin Fever again! Still have that space on the sand for rent, Pat-Cat?

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Newfie I know it's not what you asked but what I do with my ATP when I've been hunting with single digit temps is get 3 of those stick on toe heaters I use for hunting and stick them on each side of the detector and around battery compartment. Then I wrap a small towel or chammy type cloth around the box so the heaters maintain the heat . I just secure the cloth with a rubber band . Takes 1 minute to do and I don't have the problems your having .

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use lithium-ion batteries (rechargeable) they can with stand the cold weather better than ni-cads.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Newfie I know it's not what you asked but what I do with my ATP when I've been hunting with single digit temps is get 3 of those stick on toe heaters I use for hunting and stick them on each side of the detector and around battery compartment. Then I wrap a small towel or chammy type cloth around the box so the heaters maintain the heat . I just secure the cloth with a rubber band . Takes 1 minute to do and I don't have the problems your having .

That's a good tip, Gaspipe. Will give it a try...The cold could potentially damage the circuitboard as well...

It has been an unusually colder winter here. I'm further North and usually detect right off the Atlantic Ocean and when that northerly wind comes off that water, it can be biting. You would have to feel what it is like being in the North Atlantic this time of year. Even in the Spring, when the Icebergs come down, the temperature of the air is cooler.

We even have Iceberg vodka and beer here, that is made from the purist water on earth, from Icebergs. Or try putting ice from a berg in a drink, it pops from trapped air! Expensive though! Didn't mean to go off topic!

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm booking a flight down there as of now! I wish! Actually my sister was just down there for a month during Christmas and did she rub it when she got back! There is a storm on the way for here now and with it, 15 inches of snow! Cabin Fever again! Still have that space on the sand for rent, Pat-Cat?
You pm me anytime you want to come down!
You do realize that sand space I'm renting is public beach, don't ya? :laughing7:

Them little packets of instant heat sound like they would be good to use for them batteries.
I never knew what that blue windshield wiper stuff was for, till I was in my 20's, and slip sliding down the Jersey turnpike with an inch of ice on my windshield, at a brisk 28 mph. That blue stuff melted that ice like I never sawed! :laughing7: The van behind me was spinning out at 30 mph,
I so can't stand the cold.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thermometer here in northern Wisc. said -21 this morning. With wind chill factor it was -45 below zero. So dam cold they closed all the schools.

chazman

Jan 21, 2014
the sticks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, the cold slows down any chemical reaction in the batteries and weakens them in general.
if you are in the field and your batteries die, take them out and put them in your armpit for a short while 10 min or so and warm them up. they will go again.
spoken by a true cold country Canadian ;)
c

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread