Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights....

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone familiar with this group. Looks like a great organization to join. They state:

"The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation (TFMDRF) is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating public awareness by promoting and defending the lawful hobby of recreational metal detecting on public use lands and waterways."

They have a certification program and you can print a certificate and business card to state you have completed training....its not much training but covers digging and reporting historical artifacts as well as pledging to adhere to the code of ethics...

Detecting Rights - Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't think metal detecting is a "right", I believe it is more of privilege. I think that too many folks think it is their right and not a privilege, and it is that type of attitude that makes people in power wish to limit where we can hunt. The idea of a central group to inform the public and to address our concerns to governmental agencies is a very good one, but they really need to lose the word and concept of "rights". I think privilege would be more appealing to the government and public alike, and "task force" seems to sound a little military and/or threatening to me. Certification?? What, are they going to have people physically demonstrate their hole making and clean up?? Impractical at least, impossible in practice. Just filling out a form and reading a leaflet or online treatise isn't going to impress any government body, you can get a minister's certification that way. What is really needed are people who are articulate and capable of actually attending government meetings and sessions to lobby for our privileges.

OP
OP
Hawk'n Dirt

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "Rights" is simply having the right to be judged as a whole instead of the actions of a few. It is a right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty and many government bodies convict the whole sport based on the actions of a few...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha

Tom in 3...2....1....

haha, I wasn't even going to chime in, till I saw your prompt :) I have no issue with solidarities like this, and the FMDAC, for when there's ACTUAL TRUE LAWS to fight.

An un-intended side-effect of groups like this, I will point out (and it's no fault of their own), is that when people read such sites (with their scary stories), is that a lot of skittish folk do the following: Since they don't want those "scary stories" happening to them (who does?) they trot down to govt. offices, park's dept's, police stations, ranger stations, etc..., wherever they come to, to ask "can I metal detect?". Sounds like a reasonable enough conclusion to come to, after reading the profiled stories in a site like those, right? (afterall, who wants to get in trouble, right?). But then guess what happens in some of those cases, when those persons do just that ? They risk a "no", where no one ever cared before. Where it was simply silent on the matter. Doh!

As I say, nothing that's not the fault of those organizations. All I can think they could do, to remedy that side-effect, is to make clear in their dossiers that persons can look up rules for oneself, if they wonder whether there is, or isn't, a rule or law affecting their locale.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a rally in New York City a few years ago. The Task Force really hasn't accomplished too much in the last few years, but I think it is a nice idea.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that they have great intentions but it would be nice if they had a "start here first" button to click where they would lay out how to comply with their code of ethics list. When they say that "I will comply with all the federal, state, and local laws" it would be great if they had links to the appropriate site or at least show you how to research those laws and how to read the legalese. Some people think that the "thou shall not dig up a blade of grass" applies to metal detecting when it was originally intended to keep people from using the park flora as their personal nursery to landscape their own property. Oh, and I think it IS a right to pursue happiness....which in my case is metal detecting.....unless you do so in a irresponsible manner. But then, that's the rub, isn't it? Who decides if it's responsible or not? That's why you don't ask. There are too many definitions and personal opinions to come up with a concrete answer.

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that they have great intentions but it would be nice if they had a "start here first" button to click where they would lay out how to comply with their code of ethics list. When they say that "I will comply with all the federal, state, and local laws" it would be great if they had links to the appropriate site or at least show you how to research those laws and how to read the legalese. Some people think that the "thou shall not dig up a blade of grass" applies to metal detecting when it was originally intended to keep people from using the park flora as their personal nursery to landscape their own property. Oh, and I think it IS a right to pursue happiness....which in my case is metal detecting.....unless you do so in a irresponsible manner. But then, that's the rub, isn't it? Who decides if it's responsible or not? That's why you don't ask. There are too many definitions and personal opinions to come up with a concrete answer.

Agreed! Spot on right here!

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are a good group. They have worked with legislators to overturn laws that would limit detectorists from using public property like city parks, schools and public beaches. They try to educate the uninformed law makers as to what we do and that, for the most part we leave areas cleaner and safer then before by cleaning up trash and removing items we find that could cause injury to someone else. Bottom line is they are an advocacy organization that helps keep areas open to detecting and keep ill planned laws from passing the could stop the hobby we enjoy from being outlawed.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free speech is a right. Possession of arms is a right. Practicing your religion is a right. Property ownership is a right.

Metal detecting on public property is not a right.

I'm all for taking a more aggressive approach, and I'm all for opening access to federal land, but you need to get your terminology right if you're going to be taken seriously.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that detecting is not a right but I still see merit in the organization. They promote our views and try to reach compromises in laws that would severely limit our enjoyment of the hobby. That is something I can support. I also think the antiquity laws in the US are very counter productive. Look at the laws in Great Britain. Feel free to detect but if you find something that fits the parameters of what is historically significant you must report it. It is then catalogued and if the authorities decide to keep it the person who found it is compensated. This way the get the artifact, record the historical content of the find and everyone gets to enjoy it. I think this is a much better system then what we have of Finders Keepers or Government Takers and you stand the risk of fines or imprisonment. I know of a lot of historic areas that are of no interest to archeologists but because they are on Federal or State land are off limits. I would much rather see the artifacts unearthed, preserved and possibly displayed if significant then remaining in the ground to further decay and fade away.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Free speech is a right. Possession of arms is a right. Practicing your religion is a right. Property ownership is a right.

Metal detecting on public property is not a right.

I'm all for taking a more aggressive approach, and I'm all for opening access to federal land, but you need to get your terminology right if you're going to be taken seriously.

Hey, I thought "pursuit of happiness" WAS one of our "rights". And quite frankly, metal detecting brings me "happiness" :hello: As long as a person does so in places where there's no specific rule dis-allowing md'ing, then what's the problem ?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I thought "pursuit of happiness" WAS one of our "rights". And quite frankly, metal detecting brings me "happiness" :hello: As long as a person does so in places where there's no specific rule dis-allowing md'ing, then what's the problem ?

Gotta agree there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread