TV show Diggers. really wish it didnt annoy me so much

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
TV show Diggers. really wish it didn't annoy me so much

I was excited to watch Diggers on TV today. I made it about halfway through an episode before. Uhhhhhh, BOOOOM, OH my gosh look at this chunk of iron drove me crazy.

Anyone have this feeling about the show. I really really wish it didn't bother me and I could watch some detecting while stuck inside with all the snow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Yeah the jumping around gets embarrassing when they run and do a cartwheel or jump up on something and slip and fall.
That and when the are cutting to commercial during a find and it sounds like "king George" just accidentally shot himself in the leg with a revolver with that howl of excitement after the cut away

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes. They are on TV now with "new" episodes but they are just previously run ones with additional commentary and stupid stuff. You can only listen to the word "awesome" so much before you just need to turn the channel.
What an awesome post.:laughing7:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find their antics so juvenile that I can hardly stand to watch. Also, I'm totally turned off by the competition for finding the "best" artifact when it really is just a matter of who happens to pass the coil over that particular target - no special talent or effort required, just luck.
luvsdux

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I find their antics so juvenile that I can hardly stand to watch. Also, I'm totally turned off by the competition for finding the "best" artifact when it really is just a matter of who happens to pass the coil over that particular target - no special talent or effort required, just luck.
luvsdux

If you see it like that.... All metal detecting is just luck... You and me included, if we find a gold ring, it's luck... Now at least they try to relate historic places to their searches...so it's not just luck...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you see it like that.... All metal detecting is just luck... You and me included, if we find a gold ring, it's luck... Now at least they try to relate historic places to their searches...so it's not just luck...

I'd say 90% is luck

unless you believe in ESP
Because no matter what equipment you use,
No matter how new or expierenced you are,
you not only have to interpret your signal & dig

you have to swing that tiny Coil over the spot

I say Tiny Coil as compared to size of most properties you may be standing in the middle of

lamar-drought-e1376438811294.jpg

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research, persistence and determination contribute to lucky finds IMHO, but blind luck may be why the other hunter, a few yards away,hits the real prize.
luvsdux

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch diggers just to get excited about dirt fishin' It's a show, they have to hype it up. I've said it before about the show ,they don't represent the metal detecting community, what most of do (99.9% of us), or how we act. I do enjoy some aspects of the show like some of their finds, the history and the locations they detect. The show also gives me ideas of where to hunt, areas to look for and to use old maps and historical documents for locations. I take the parts I like and enjoy them. The parts I don't care for I just 'BLEEP' about them on the forums. I also watch tons of youtube vids which I find just as exciting and interesting. I just like to consume everything I can about detecting. Well there's my two cents I dug up last year. Cheers all.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Yesterday it was on and there was nothing else worth watching so I decided to give it another chance in case the Custer episode I saw was just a fluke. WRONG.. Suffered through a half hour of "Benedict Arnold nectar" and 2 damn fools yelling and jumping around every time they stuck their hand in a hole as if they just got bit by a poison spider. Every time I hear that stupid nectar comment I picture them as John Belushi wearing the "killer bees" outfit from Saturday Night Live. Learned a new word too.. "colone" when searching for colonial relics.. First impression a few weeks back was that they are morons. That hasn't changed. Question for the guy here who is a friend of theirs and says it's just done for the sake of ratings.. If that's the case then why is it that 90% of us HERE who do this stuff as a hobby think they are bad for the hobby and are making fools of themselves ? Are they trying to play to the same crowd that thinks Roller Derby and WWF wrestling are real ?

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh its so much better extracting the juice from the nectar sector without cracking a smile or having any feeling of excitement...pffft

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some excitement or smiles sure, but these guys play it so much over the top it makes me nauseous.
luvsdux

excalIIuser

Greenie
Feb 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was excited to watch Diggers on TV today. I made it about halfway through an episode before. Uhhhhhh, BOOOOM, OH my gosh look at this chunk of iron drove me crazy.

Anyone have this feeling about the show. I really really wish it didn't bother me and I could watch some detecting while stuck inside with all the snow.

That is precisely why I stopped watching the show, they look stupid running like they are been chased by hornets, which has happened to me.......

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's ok, silly at times, but ok. With young kids anything beats Dora, BubbleGuppies etc. which is usually what's on at our house. I've only been at the hobby for a little over a year so anything (TV shows, magazine articles, YouTube) related interests me. Even if it is played up for tv.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday it was on and there was nothing else worth watching so I decided to give it another chance in case the Custer episode I saw was just a fluke. WRONG.. Suffered through a half hour of "Benedict Arnold nectar" and 2 damn fools yelling and jumping around every time they stuck their hand in a hole as if they just got bit by a poison spider. Every time I hear that stupid nectar comment I picture them as John Belushi wearing the "killer bees" outfit from Saturday Night Live. Learned a new word too.. "colone" when searching for colonial relics.. First impression a few weeks back was that they are morons. That hasn't changed. Question for the guy here who is a friend of theirs and says it's just done for the sake of ratings.. If that's the case then why is it that 90% of us HERE who do this stuff as a hobby think they are bad for the hobby and are making fools of themselves ? Are they trying to play to the same crowd that thinks Roller Derby and WWF wrestling are real ?
90% think its bad for the hobby? You do know that 90% means 9 out of 10...your way off on that number but I think you know that.

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% think its bad for the hobby? You do know that 90% means 9out of 10...your way off on that number but I think you know that.

Man these grumpy gills just don't want to let up on the hate... They keep referencing some episodes I haven't seen yet, so it sounds like they watch the show a lot. It reminds me of Howard Stern and when his controversial radio show first started, his ratings showed that the people who listened to it the most were those that were against the program and wanted it off the air.

Relax grumps!

Grumpy-old-man-looks-over-spectacles-shocked-and-disapproving-2289475.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say 90% is luck

unless you believe in ESP
Because no matter what equipment you use,
No matter how new or expierenced you are,
you not only have to interpret your signal & dig

you have to swing that tiny Coil over the spot

I say Tiny Coil as compared to size of most properties you may be standing in the middle of

View attachment 962997

The need for luck is greatly reduced when you get access to private areas with significant historical value.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusty, you told me the AT Pro is better than ANY Minelab, so that's what I bought. Did Garrett stop sending you checks or what? :laughing7:

Youd have a hard time finding that post ...ive always liked minelabs but my pocket book says buy a garrett ...with all the good things i say about them they should pay me though

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a few episodes. My eight year old daughter loves it and won't miss an episode. After the first viewing, I just automatically assumed that the howling and screaming was all for the show. It's not like you would expect serious detectors to actually act like that. The only thing I like about the show particularly is the interest in history it inspired in my little girl - gives me yet another opportunity to spend quality time with my kid in a hobby both of us are excited to be venturing into....and we can do it together. Any of you w/ kids know how hard it is to find something you can do with your kids that you both enjoy. As someone said before, I'd rather she be watching that than "Dora the Illegal alien explorer". YMMV

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone said before, I'd rather she be watching that than "Dora the Illegal alien explorer". YMMV

Since when is being Hispanic the equivalent of being an illegal alien? And to be technical, Dora's location and citizenship in the show is not known, so your statement isn't even possible to determine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread