Kellyco Vulcan 360 Pinpointer first look

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco’s entry into the world of GPP, Pro 25, RS, and others is now available at a whopping sale price of $179.95. Snow days and boredom and a high degree of curiosity contributed to the call that caused Fed X to bring me yet another box. When it arrived and finally made it on to my bench for the initial inspection I was somewhat impressed. There are a few things that I felt are on the down side of this product. First off was the price which seems to be well above market. Then came the initial inspection and the need for a mini screwdriver to change out the battery. A person could have a sack full of batteries in the field and without the little screw driver you could not change out the cell. The supplied carrying holster does however have small areas on the side of the main loop that would allow for the little supplied driver to go along with you. There is no light for those evening tips and dark deep holes. The over all length is about two inches longer than my Pro 25 and GPP. The speaker is just behind the main switch so I found that very little use caused some debris to begin to collect so I went to my truck and got me one of those spot band aids and put it over that area. The sound is lower in frequency that the GPP and Pro 25 but was louder than my Pro 25 which was a plus. It does have the proximity alert like the GPP and Pro 25. The overall length and contoured grip was also a plus for my old bones. I slipped on one of my Home Depot protective caps and took it along with the GPP and Pro 25 to a local lot for a two hour run. My sensitivity setting was a 5 which is max. I used one of my small detectors (ATP) to locate all targets then I took each of the three pointers and went back over the located area and tried to locate the target. In many cases the Vulcan 360 was able to see targets that the other two did not respond to. The Minelab Pro 25 came in second. This means that the GPP just got delegated to stay in escrow while the Pro 25 and Vulcan go to the field with me. Then comes week after next when the Whites arrives.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Kellyco today shopping and checked out the Vulcan in the showroom. I found it to be impressive and picked one up, I will do a field test on it when I get a chance.

I will say it is very well built and sensitive, it has 5 different sensitivity settings with the most sensitive being over 3 inches...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are notorious for claiming that a bundle of stuff- most of which you can get at Walmart or a dollar store- is worth hundreds. In actuality you can get it all for like $20.

Please folks lets keep this about the pin pointer and not about bashing Kellyco.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't separate a tool from the company that imports/badges/advertises/exclusively sells it.

Pinpointer was developed by Kellco...

We can keep the thread on topic, topic is the pinpointer, not the giveaways....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was on topic.

This is a Kellyco product right? They are putting their name on it and saying its theirs. I have to question the quality- straight up no BS- I QUESTION THE QUALITY.

Why? Because I spent over a thousand dollars with Kellyco last year on several of the package deals they offer. The crap (and that's what it is- crap) they offered in the first package I ordered (Fisher F5) they claimed was worth $420.95- really?

How is that any different than them telling me the Vulcan 360 is worth what they are asking?

It's higher than the Pro-pointer or the ProFind, two very well made high quality products. Seems to me like if they wanted to establish themselves they would started the price a little more competitive with the other 2? They're the "new kid in town here" since this is their first foray into this, as far as I know?!?!

Speaking of that- who really manufactures the Vulcan 360? Is Kellyco building them from scratch in the back of the warehouse? Is it from China? Did they contract with a real maker of MDs like FT or whites etc? The info on the web, even their own site is quite limited.

I'm gonna end with "the customer is always right" because as I said before I've spent over a grand with them- I know some people drop that on one MD, but to me that's a lot of cash for a less than pleasant experience.....so why would I trust them enough to even consider a Vulcan 360?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rot,

Your post I deleted was off topic, it was not about their pinpointer it was about the giveaways, which by the way the detector manufacturers themselves furnish at least half of the giveaways for Kellyco to give out...

It appears the giveaways is what upset you. I didn't even take the giveaways when I bought I asked if I could take credit on something else instead.

As far as suggested value who pays attention to that, I dont, the suggested retail price is never accurate on any product and especially so on a give away.....

Instead of trashing something you have never even touched why don't you check out people who have actually touched it, used it or own it to see what they think?

I have not used the Volcan in the field yet as I just picked it up this afternoon but I did spend about an hour playing with it this afternoon and I can attest to the sensitivity of it on targets and the quality of materials with which it is made. It has a nice professional feel to it, it does not look nor feel cheap.....

No KC does not make them in their store, but they did work with an engineer to design one that they could produce and sell and be proud of and just my preliminary tests I personally have done so far are good....I will test it more in the field...

I also own a Detectorpro Uniprobe that cost $130 more than what Kellyco is asking for the Volcan and a Vibraprobe 560 which is about $40 less....

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own most every popular pinpointer and I would have preferred to pay the current $60 off price for the Vulcan but I chose to purchase early and I have found it to be a solid performer and it looks like a keeper at this point. Product education comes sometime with a price. We all hope that others will do the test and if successful we can follow. This time I took the first step.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three more hours on it today and one more negative issue. This is with the power on/off button which sticks out a little. When I loaded my carry bag to head out to the field I bumped the side of the bag and the pointer came on. This also happened on the way back home. Care must be taken as to how it is placed in the tote bag so this does not happen. It did how ever find a broken gold chain during today's hunt that the main detector could not see. The extra two inches in length over other pointers seems to be a big plus as far as reach when you are my age. The more I use it, the the more I like it. Treasure Hunter, lets hear from you on your opinion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd am you do understand signing up under another name just to cause problems violates our rules... This name is banned, your other name is now on a timeout.

We have rules that were violated which is why post was deleted..

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not worn completely through the case with my Bullseye II but have noticed definite wear on one side. If it holds up to the upcoming year, I can foresee a problem with that being a possibility. I never ever use it to dig.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you with garrett propointer problems, there are a few things you can do to limit them. The first is, you often need some type of backing behind your battery. Without it, certain battery brands may or may not keep full contact with the battery terminals 100% of the time. Without proper contact, strange things will happen. Next is to keep it moisture free. Moist dirt, and water can get behind the on/off button cover or the speaker cover. If this happens, you'll have false signals, switch problems, and a lack of sensitivity. You can take the button cover and the battery door off to let the unit dry out and then clean it inside with a q-tip dipped in alcohol. This usually corrects most of my problems. Keeping the power button and speaker covered up with tape or rubber can help with this problem in the future. It has for me. Just an FYI I figured I'd put here to help people out.

As for the Kellyco pinpointer, any info on battery life yet?

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the Kellyco pinpointer, any info on battery life yet?

I changed out the original battery so I could test all three pointers evenly. Since that time I have over 20 hours of use and no indication of low battery.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be the final note on this pointer until I receive my Whites. I logged another 3 hours and this time I had all three again with me. I will have to say that the Vulcan is a strong contender in the market place. I have the Minelab in second place. The Garrett is a distant last. This pointer and the Minelab did not have to be shimmed, super tuned, handled gently, to earn its place. If the new Whites is anywhere close to this pointer there will be two leaders going afield with our friends in the hobby.

Smaug

Feb 12, 2014
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 / Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered one from Kellyco for $120.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This afternoon the battery went dead and I proceeded to do a battery change in the field. Armed with the micro screwdriver, I sat down and put my catch towel on my lap and did the task. The tiny screw is a pain but if you are very careful and remove it and watch where you put it all should go well. Guesstimate on battery life is 36-38 hours.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same negative I mentioned before dealt with the on/off switch being easy to bump while in transport in my tote bag. This morning I had a little walk from my truck to the hunt area and when I started the hunt the pointer shut down but came back on by hitting the switch again. It then shut down again and was dead. The long trip back to the truck had me mumbling some of my famous blue words under my breath. Once at the truck I installed a new cell and all went well through the hunt. After the hunt I did some testing to locate just what had happened. This pointer has a power off feature when there is inactivity for a period of time. This does work well unless the pointer is near metal and then it will just stay on until the battery is drained. My tote bag is full of other metal items so I feel this is the reason for the failure. Instead of getting my exercise through metal detecting I got more than I needed walking back and forth. I am going to cut me a short piece of pvc pipe that will slip over the pointer while it is in my bag.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This afternoon the battery went dead and I proceeded to do a battery change in the field. Armed with the micro screwdriver, I sat down and put my catch towel on my lap and did the task. The tiny screw is a pain but if you are very careful and remove it and watch where you put it all should go well. Guesstimate on battery life is 36-38 hours.

You have to use a micro screwdriver to change the battery?! Holy hell, that's an immediate NO-GO for any field item.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to use a micro screwdriver to change the battery?! Holy hell, that's an immediate NO-GO for any field item.

No big deal to me at all, I never let batteries run down before I change them in any of my equipment, batteries are cheap....

I will never need to change pinpointer battery in the field...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread