705 Coin Hunting Questions

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Hello all,
I have owned a few detectors in my time. From the Soverign, to the SE Pro, to the Etrac, and now a back up detector the 705. Maybe I making this a little more complicated than it should be. I am just a coin hunter, rings and other jewelry fall in this realm also. I was thinking of hunting in coin mode, in Pattern 4. Does anyone have any other ideas, just not like my other detectors. I know this is a better unit than I am making it out to be, and a heck of a lot simpler. Any help on coin settings etc., would greatly be appreciated. know I will have to put some time in with this unit, but I thought since I have done well with the others, I could pick up a little faster.
Keep your coil to the ground.

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless I go all metal I always hunt in Pattern 1, but I've never seen much difference between 1 and 4. Looks like one more negative bar gets discriminated out in 4 is all. Gold is going to be all over the scale from 2 to 30 depending on karate and object size.

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thanks Susan. It is a little frustarting that there are so many replies for the SE Pro and Etrac, and hardly any for the 705. I know there are quite a few out there that are being used, but not so many folks sharing what they use, except the folks over seas. Even Youtube shows some ideas, but mostly out of the country, with different soils, etc. I will just have to continue to plug away. I know that this unit will do more than some folks think, and I believe with the years under my belt, it is as deep as the highr end units.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just recently purchased the 705 and really had just two outings to experiment and learn. I have created a log of readings verses what is actually dug and the 705 has been spot on almost every time. Like Susan, I use pattern 1 in coin mode. I have the threshold up loud enough to hear a blanked signal. I perform the auto channel select and auto ground balance. Then go into coin hunting mode. When I get a hit, I switch to AM and pinpoint. I sweep from different angles while watching the target ID and pinpoint. I'm still learning but on my second outing, I picked up a handful of coins.

DSCF0450-1_zpsbc09452e.jpg

HH!!!

SAFE & Happy Detecting!!!!
Dave
8-)

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thanks Ezman604. I gues I am just nt use to going back and forth with coin mode and all metal, with my other units no need. Again, as usual I am probably making this harder than it has to be. I have also heard there are some good settings on the Minelab website, I will have to check into this as well. Thanks for all whom replied thus far.
Keep your coils to the ground...

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use all metal have to learn sounds, as you said it's always spot on. IF YOU COIN hunt you have to get the coil tel 6 in coil! Read longhair posts or go to brands on this site

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ezman604. I gues I am just nt use to going back and forth with coin mode and all metal, with my other units no need. Again, as usual I am probably making this harder than it has to be. I have also heard there are some good settings on the Minelab website, I will have to check into this as well. Thanks for all whom replied thus far.
Keep your coils to the ground...

You don't have to go to all metal just to pinpoint. Just hit the pinpoint button and check the screen, and toggle back out when you are done. I only use all metal when I am in a spot like shoreline hunting where I dig everything including iron.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info, did you read the ebook on the minelabe site really outs in prespective the patterns

OP
OP
ewcoinhunter

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Thank to all. I have to learn these tones a little better, they are a tad different then the Etrac. Practice makes perfect right?

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to go to all metal just to pinpoint. Just hit the pinpoint button and check the screen, and toggle back out when you are done. I only use all metal when I am in a spot like shoreline hunting where I dig everything including iron.

You're right, I just go to AM when I get a blanked signal to investigate. Not needed with coin hunting. Just pinpoint like you said.
:)
Mainly for relic hunting I switch to AM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread