Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy might help
Threshold: Continuous tone that establishes a reference point for tuning the detector to ground balance it. The threshold tone also establishes the minimum sound level for deep targets in the discriminate mode.

I always been told it helps in hearing the,faint signals, but to much threshold you can mask good targets u. I usually turn mine,up yo just a,slight hum

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy might help
Threshold: Continuous tone that establishes a reference point for tuning the detector to ground balance it. The threshold tone also establishes the minimum sound level for deep targets in the discriminate mode.

I always been told it helps in hearing the,faint signals, but to much threshold you can mask good targets u. I usually turn mine,up yo just a,slight hum

Thanks Christo

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And GAP too

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has nothing to do with sensitivity or EMI. It is just an audio threshold that helps you hear what the detector is trying to tell you. It does not effect the detectors performance, setting it wrong can effect yours. you should set it so you can just barely hear the hum.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way Christo worded was an excellent way to think about it- I've never actually thought of threshold in that light - so thank you for that Christo!

I can tell you in my words the way that I use and manipulate threshold on my particular MD (Fisher F5) to get it to do what I want it to.

I think of it as a volume to signal ratio, if I'm hunting a trashy area I basically run my threshold setting lower to hear less trash. Be warned though that when doing this the whole time you hunt, could cause you to miss good targets! Using it in this way is pretty much giving up sensitivity to keep the MD quiet- to listen for targets that have a "better chance" to be something you might want to dig.

The opposite of that is probably already what's in your head now- higher threshold levels will amplify the sounds of tiny, or deeper targets. The downside to running my MD this way is that you hear EVERYTHING in the ground!

I don't know about other detectors, but the F5 could be used for the sole purpose of intentionally finding red clay when set up like this. One spot I hunt along the Mighty Miss, I simply can not hunt with positive threshold numbers (at least not with any amount of gain to get good depth) because of the way it acts due to red clay.

If you ground balance, then adjust the threshold and gain settings together- you can almost always get the MD to act the way you want it to.

If you're just doing casual coin shooting at the park or beach I'd say just run the threshold level at wherever its comfortable (hummy or silent) for you. If you are Gold prospecting or hunting deep relics- you are gonna have to play with it some- to hear, or not hear,- what you are/ are not looking to dig!?! Lol

Practice man, that's the exact phase I'm learning right now with the F5. I plan on doing a LOT of relic hunting this year as soon as it warms up a little, so I've been experimenting a bunch with it- sorry for the long response but I was kinda excited to see someone else talking about the use of threshold?!?!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way Christo worded was an excellent way to think about it- I've never actually thought of threshold in that light - so thank you for that Christo!

I can tell you in my words the way that I use and manipulate threshold on my particular MD (Fisher F5) to get it to do what I want it to.

I think of it as a volume to signal ratio, if I'm hunting a trashy area I basically run my threshold setting lower to hear less trash. Be warned though that when doing this the whole time you hunt, could cause you to miss good targets! Using it in this way is pretty much giving up sensitivity to keep the MD quiet- to listen for targets that have a "better chance" to be something you might want to dig.

The opposite of that is probably already what's in your head now- higher threshold levels will amplify the sounds of tiny, or deeper targets. The downside to running my MD this way is that you hear EVERYTHING in the ground!

I don't know about other detectors, but the F5 could be used for the sole purpose of intentionally finding red clay when set up like this. One spot I hunt along the Mighty Miss, I simply can not hunt with positive threshold numbers (at least not with any amount of gain to get good depth) because of the way it acts due to red clay.

If you ground balance, then adjust the threshold and gain settings together- you can almost always get the MD to act the way you want it to.

If you're just doing casual coin shooting at the park or beach I'd say just run the threshold level at wherever its comfortable (hummy or silent) for you. If you are Gold prospecting or hunting deep relics- you are gonna have to play with it some- to hear, or not hear,- what you are/ are not looking to dig!?! Lol

Practice man, that's the exact phase I'm learning right now with the F5. I plan on doing a LOT of relic hunting this year as soon as it warms up a little, so I've been experimenting a bunch with it- sorry for the long response but I was kinda excited to see someone else talking about the use of threshold?!?!

Thanks RotZorn

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Threshold is an important setting. Some people ae annoyed by it. On my XLT, I can hunt with or without it by choosing Silent Search.

I like to have it on, so I know that the detector is working.

Most experienced hunters will tell you that you should have it barely audible, and that really deep targets will cause the threshold to 'blank' over the target.

Not enough signal to get through the disc circuit, but enough to cause the tone to disappear.

It took me a while to learn that deep targets do this.

I cannot tell you how many targets I walked past because they ID'd as iron, or just blanked out!

Shame...

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Threshold is an important setting. Some people ae annoyed by it. On my XLT, I can hunt with or without it by choosing Silent Search.

I like to have it on, so I know that the detector is working.

Most experienced hunters will tell you that you should have it barely audible, and that really deep targets will cause the threshold to 'blank' over the target.

Not enough signal to get through the disc circuit, but enough to cause the tone to disappear.

It took me a while to learn that deep targets do this.

I cannot tell you how many targets I walked past because they ID'd as iron, or just blanked out!

Shame...

That's one thing I am not find of on my F2. I think it can ID deeper coins as iron and I have no way I knowing that because it doesn't have threshold.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Crazy4coins, I am not familiar with the F2 but if it is a no threshold machine just know that deep targets should be dug by sound, not TID.

There are no machines that can ID at depth, hence the saying that only thing with perfect Target ID is a shovel.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crazy4coins, I am not familiar with the F2 but if it is a no threshold machine just know that deep targets should be dug by sound, not TID.

There are no machines that can ID at depth, hence the saying that only thing with perfect Target ID is a shovel.

True, but for me, deeper coins are at around 6 inches...

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you hear the threshold "blank out" that's your discrimination kicking in. Those deep "good" targets should actually cause your threshold to raise ever so slightly. You have to train yourself to hear this - it's easy to miss.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread