Bought a Metal Detector so where do I hunt?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Look under my posts in the Relic Hunting section of the Forum. No matter where you live if there is a large town then there is usually a Historical Society with a small museum run by little old ladies. Go join that group and then offer you services to act as a Field Rep to explore and metal detect areas for them and share your finds with them for their museum listing you as the finder. They love old cork bottles, Americana stuff, old mule shoes, just name it. They may know someone who lives in an old Schoolhouse that has never seen a metal detector.
OK, I live in a small community that has no Historical Society. OK, got a computer and a car? I don't care in you live in Washington State, Maine, Florida or California even Alaska have lots of ghost towns.
Let me give you an example: Type in " Ghost towns of Alabama " in Google Search. Scroll down to: List of ghost towns in Alabama - Wikipedia. Click on that site and a page comes up with 47 Ghost Towns listed. I clicked on Beaver Mills, Alabama because it mentioned a Uniform Factory which means CSA buttons, right? Look for coordinates and type them like: 30°58'N 88°14'05"W then place them on Google or Bing Maps to pull up the site. The site revealed the following information: Beaver Mills, also known as Beaver Meadow, is a ghost town in Mobile County, Alabama, United States, near U.S. Route 45, south of Citronelle. It was the site of a paper mill that was also used as a (probably CSA) uniform depot during the American Civil War.
Ghost towns will reveal old pioneer towns, homes, cellar holes, outhouse pits, school sites which will yield old coins, bottles and relics. When the weather is lousy that is the time to do the research and when it nice out then go explore those sites. To determine current owners for permission, give coordinates to County Tax Office so they can look up owners on tax records. Most Iphone and Android phones have the ability to get coordinates for you.
I've just given all of you TH'ers a gift and now get busy and make use of it. 8-)

[h=3][/h]

Upvote 0

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FLauthor,
Thanks for the great ideas. Being new to this hobby all tricks are welcomed.

Mike

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
uthor
Look under my posts in the Relic Hunting section of the Forum. No matter where you live if there is a large town then there is usually a Historical Society with a small museum run by little old ladies. Go join that group and then offer you services to act as a Field Rep to explore and metal detect areas for them and share your finds with them for their museum listing you as the finder. They love old cork bottles, Americana stuff, old mule shoes, just name it. They may know someone who lives in an old Schoolhouse that has never seen a metal detector.
OK, I live in a small community that has no Historical Society. OK, got a computer and a car? I don't care in you live in Washington State, Maine, Florida or California even Alaska have lots of ghost towns.
Let me give you an example: Type in " Ghost towns of Alabama " in Google Search. Scroll down to: List of ghost towns in Alabama - Wikipedia. Click on that site and a page comes up with 47 Ghost Towns listed. I clicked on Beaver Mills, Alabama because it mentioned a Uniform Factory which means CSA buttons, right? Look for coordinates and type them like: 30°58'N 88°14'05"W then place them on Google or Bing Maps to pull up the site. The site revealed the following information: Beaver Mills, also known as Beaver Meadow, is a ghost town in Mobile County, Alabama, United States, near U.S. Route 45, south of Citronelle. It was the site of a paper mill that was also used as a (probably CSA) uniform depot during the American Civil War.
Ghost towns will reveal old pioneer towns, homes, cellar holes, outhouse pits, school sites which will yield old coins, bottles and relics. When the weather is lousy that is the time to do the research and when it nice out then go explore those sites. To determine current owners for permission, give coordinates to County Tax Office so they can look up owners on tax records. Most Iphone and Android phones have the ability to get coordinates for you.
I've just given all of you TH'ers a gift and now get busy and make use of it. 8-)
Good info, FLauthor. Also, remember that Google Earth uses WGS84 (NAD83). Those using a GPS to home into a GE location need to "sync" the GPS unit to WGS84 instead of NAD27. Most topo maps still use NAD27. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread