New member with questions on first machine

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
ctx, atp, tejon, omega, etp, f2, compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully this is the correct location to post this. Apologies if not.

I am new to the hobby, have only gotten into it a few days ago and have been spending every waking minute researching detectors. For no particular reason, I am leaning toward the Fisher line.

I see the main difference between the F4 and F5 is that the F5 has frequency shift and phase lock whereas the F4 has neither (assuming the same 11" DD coil). My question is: how useful are these two features? Do they make a big difference or are they just another 'nice feature to have'. I do plan to hunt the ocean beach but will also spend time in parks and other areas where soils will vary between silt, sand, clay and gravel. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these machines but would like to know of any other recommendations in a similar price range.

I also don't know how much I really want to invest as I have never used a detector before but do foresee my family and I loving the hobby.

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

Tugger

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not. Sure where you are im in mass on the ri line, so if ur close & snow melts befor you decide id be more then happy to show you the f75ltd if its on ur list

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome of you christoOOO! I always say hands on is the best decision maker in choosing a detector! Get to test it out.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I feel the Same way I had many machines since in this hobby & some I wasnt to fond of but if I had tried them out then it would have been a different story, so whatever i have weather it be a detector,coil,a shovel pinpointer ect I will meet anyone well within distance lol if they want to try somethin out I got no problems with that if its gonna help someone out in there buying decisión to put them at ease so they know they have made the right choice & have no regrets

Swamp digger

Greenie
Feb 2, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am fairly new to the hobby and have a Fisher F2 and love it. As others have said, it's all about the budget. You need more than just the MD. I learned that the hard way, A good pinpointer is a must. Cuts your digging time way down and lets you dig targets with less ground disturbance "great for public places". I bought a neopreme rain cover for my F2 and have hunted in heavy rain with no problems. Unless you are going to completely submerge your MD, the Fishers are waterproof up to the control box. I have hunted with friends who have other more expensive MDs and my F2 consistently outperforms them on depth, target ID, separation and recovery time. This is with the standard 8" and 4" sniper coils. My brother is the one who got me interested in MDing. I did my research and bought the F2. After our first hunt together I now have 2 MD machines. My F2 and his much more expensive other brand. I was finding deep targets right behind him "including a silver half dollar". He gave his to me for my kids to use and bought him a F2. I just ordered the DD coil and can't wait to see what it will do. Hard to believe it will make the f2 better than what it is. FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

OP
OP
N

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is all great information. Thanks everybody for sharing.

OP
OP
N

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After much thought and deliberation, I made a decision. I ended up ordering a Garrett AT Pro. Although I liked the Fisher units, the ATP seemed to fit what I wanted to do better. Being waterproof was a big thing for me too, considering the amount of rain we get around here. I've had my share of electronics being ruined due to getting wet. Now I'm studying the manual so I can hit the ground running when it gets here. I also ordered a Bounty Hunter Junior for my son to tag along with. It should be fun, definitely looking forward to it. Thanks everyone for the input in this thread.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrates on ur new machine the Atpro is a great unit, also just advice look into grabbing the 5x8 coil it will make the pro alot different & not in a bad way, also a pinpointer will help you with ur finds finding that small gold earing ect. Hh

OP
OP
N

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrates on ur new machine the Atpro is a great unit, also just advice look into grabbing the 5x8 coil it will make the pro alot different & not in a bad way, also a pinpointer will help you with ur finds finding that small gold earing ect. Hh
Yep, got plans for both! Can't wait for the FedEx guy! Thanks.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread