Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah it's an old myth that's been going on with the schools forever. I think one version started to "show how much you care or are thinking about the unfortunate victims of a disease" by the shear amount that the kids would collect. They are worth $300-$400 a million when they recycle them. If the whole can would be turned in it would be worth a ton more. If you really want to do something to help toss a $20 bill in the collection box.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I throw them in with the can slaw, and alum. siding scraps, screw caps etc, and to the Scrap Yard they go, at the end of the season.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each is own, no one is making anyone donate the tabs,cans,money, whatever someone wants to think is happening with them so be it, I honestly dont know 100% positive what they are used for what I do know is ive seen the Same cause what is said that they will be used for for over 25 years, so i beleive weather or not its true or not im somehow helping

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah....went to several sites to check. Shriners hospital has something about them taking tabs there. But it's for recycling. I believe it was MD Anderson that was on the radio talking about it being a myth. How all the other hospitals have people walk in with buckets of tabs and how they have to explain it to them. The spokes person sounded like she felt horrible when a family came in with oodles of tabs asking for time for their child. Made ME feel bad for them.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The myth has been going for so long now that the children think its gospel. My daughter still collects them and turns them in and she is 20 now, been doing it since kindergarten. I think now it's so engrained in everyone's head that they just accept them and recycle instead of having to break someone's heart that is thinking they are making a huge difference. Still I guess it's the thought that counts.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think no matter who you take them to, the end result is they are sold for scrap(recycling) then the money donated to some worthy cause

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think no matter who you take them to, the end result is they are sold for scrap(recycling) then the money donated to some worthy cause

Agreed, whatever is done its for a good cause

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread