metal detector referral

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am new to the community and forums here. Let me just start off with telling you how I got into this.

When I was little my father and I would go out and scrounge around properties collecting so called junk and scrap to clean and take to the junk yards. While enjoying doing this; I then kept thinking to myself what if we ever run into anything special etc. So I talked to a few people and they told me at the junk yards maybe I should take a metal detector along with and ask to search there lands around "of course it would be hard to do it too close to the scrap yard" So I did and I searched for hours and didn't find a thing. I was about to give up, but kept saying to myself I know theirs got to be something here worth keep going. About 2 hours later I was searching near a large oak tree near the roots. I got a hit and it started going crazy! I dug down in and ran into just a bag with metal springs in it. Was so upset!! But I figured to check the spot to make sure that was it. Indeed it wasn't I dug down in another 2 inches and found a metal can pulled it out and the side was rusted and out fell all these coins! Surprise surprise! Ever since then I've always been into this sport. But the past years i haven't done any of it due to health issues. I'd like to return to doing it this summer.

If anyone could please refer me to any good metal detectors now adays and your reviews on them i'd appreciate it. I've looked up some but most seem to do 6 inches the most? I remember mine doing 8 inches i believe back then. Is there any out there that does 8-10 inches? I'd love to say 10 inches would be perfect! Well thanks for listening and helping me out. Hope to hear back from you 8-)

Upvote 0

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum!! There are some detectors that go 8-10 inches down. My Garrett Ace 250 goes about 8 inches down and I have had good success with it last year. Found $35 in change, some jewelry and other odds and ends. Hope to know what detector you get! GG & HH!!:skullflag:

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum!! There are some detectors that go 8-10 inches down. My Garrett Ace 250 goes about 8 inches down and I have had good success with it last year. Found $35 in change, some jewelry and other odds and ends. Hope to know what detector you get! GG & HH!!:skullflag:

Very nice. I heard the Garret Atx Pro is pretty decent huh? Get's good readings etc? not sure if anyone here has tried it out before.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I heard the Garret Atx Pro is pretty decent huh? Get's good readings etc? not sure if anyone here has tried it out before.

The Garrett ATX is a pulse induction detector. You may be thinking of the AT Pro? And yes, that is a great detector, and easy to learn. It was the first detector I ever owned, and I love it. And being waterproof really sets it apart from others in that range. I don't do a lot of water hunting, but its nice to know that if it rains or I drop it into a lake/river, there will be no problems. Finally, Garrett support is really fantastic. If you decide to go with the AT Pro, you would not be disappointed. /endcommercial

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet ! What is it with PA Junk Yards ?

I know 4 Junk yards within 30 mile of me.
3 of them were Parks at one time
the 4th. a Ball field

Sad thing is all the Metal scrap.

Most, if not all detectors in hands of a Newbie will get much less depth then
in the hands of an experienced person.

My first good detector was an old Whites detector in the 70's/80's

I got 8"+ on some occasions on Large Cent size coins

By 99, I purchased a Minelab Sovereign.
It opened up most of the old sites to new finds for sure.
but there were a couple sites I hammered with that old whites ,
That hardly produced more with the Sovereign.

However as I got experience a few did pop through.

Now I'm using an Explorer SE & when I first started using the Explorer
I couldn't break 1" Depth.

Now I'm finding coins at surprising depths.

But those sites I hammered with my 70's/80's Whites & '90's Sovereign
are very hard to even find trash in :laughing7:
& that's with a detector that has a MSRP of what ? $1200 ?

in other words, Buy what your comfortable with & Learn it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett ATX is a pulse induction detector. You may be thinking of the AT Pro? And yes, that is a great detector, and easy to learn. It was the first detector I ever owned, and I love it. And being waterproof really sets it apart from others in that range. I don't do a lot of water hunting, but its nice to know that if it rains or I drop it into a lake/river, there will be no problems. Finally, Garrett support is really fantastic. If you decide to go with the AT Pro, you would not be disappointed. /endcommercial

ah what you use now? and thanks i've been thinking of getting the AT Pro actually!

Welcome to TreasureNet ! What is it with PA Junk Yards ?

I know 4 Junk yards within 30 mile of me.
3 of them were Parks at one time
the 4th. a Ball field

Sad thing is all the Metal scrap.

Most, if not all detectors in hands of a Newbie will get much less depth then
in the hands of an experienced person.

My first good detector was an old Whites detector in the 70's/80's

I got 8"+ on some occasions on Large Cent size coins

By 99, I purchased a Minelab Sovereign.
It opened up most of the old sites to new finds for sure.
but there were a couple sites I hammered with that old whites ,
That hardly produced more with the Sovereign.

However as I got experience a few did pop through.

Now I'm using an Explorer SE & when I first started using the Explorer
I couldn't break 1" Depth.

Now I'm finding coins at surprising depths.

But those sites I hammered with my 70's/80's Whites & '90's Sovereign
are very hard to even find trash in :laughing7:
& that's with a detector that has a MSRP of what ? $1200 ?

in other words, Buy what your comfortable with & Learn it :thumbsup:

Ah Yeah true but it's like i'm not sure what to be comfortable with atm since it's been years since i've ever done this.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah what you use now? and thanks i've been thinking of getting the AT Pro actually!

I use both my AT Pro and E-Trac, depending on the weather and location. I picked up a 5x8 coil for the AT, which works well in high trash areas, but it reduces the depth compared to the stock coil. I liked the AT because after watching a few videos, I was able to use it successfully right out of the box, where my E-Trac took a bit more effort.

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use both my AT Pro and E-Trac, depending on the weather and location. I picked up a 5x8 coil for the AT, which works well in high trash areas, but it reduces the depth compared to the stock coil. I liked the AT because after watching a few videos, I was able to use it successfully right out of the box, where my E-Trac took a bit more effort.

Ah thanks for the info appreciate it. Yeah I heard good things about E-Trac as well but also heard the same that a beginner would have issues using it right off the bat. Like I said I believe I might just go with the AT Pro for now since I've been told it's so easy to use and such a great detector. Plus far as i've seen some company's are actually selling a bundle with the detector.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah thanks for the info appreciate it. Yeah I heard good things about E-Trac as well but also heard the same that a beginner would have issues using it right off the bat. Like I said I believe I might just go with the AT Pro for now since I've been told it's so easy to use and such a great detector. Plus far as i've seen some company's are actually selling a bundle with the detector.

You will be happy with that decision. I recommend Big Boy Hobbies to purchase it from. They are a great vendor, and usually ship same day. I got my E-Trac 2 days after ordering with free shipping. And the owner, Bart is very helpful and will help teach you a few things about your detector if you call him. I'd suggest picking up a pro-pointer as well, as they greatly increase target recovery.

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be happy with that decision. I recommend Big Boy Hobbies to purchase it from. They are a great vendor, and usually ship same day. I got my E-Trac 2 days after ordering with free shipping. And the owner, Bart is very helpful and will help teach you a few things about your detector if you call him. I'd suggest picking up a pro-pointer as well, as they greatly increase target recovery.

Awsome again appreciate the info!!! Btw would it be best to go with the AT pro or AT gold? I forgot to mention this before.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with the difference but if the AT Gold is a Gold detector,
there is no detectable raw gold in Pa. at least not enough to spend time looking for it.
panners on occasion will find near microscopic color.

So if you don't travel, take that into consideration.
I'd suggest the AT pro for PA though I'm not familiar with either personally

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome again appreciate the info!!! Btw would it be best to go with the AT pro or AT gold? I forgot to mention this before.

Jeff is right, the AT Gold runs at a higher frequency for gold. But we're talking the smaller raw pieces. The AT Pro will easily detect things like rings or other jewelry. The ATP doesn't have a true "all metal mode" like the Gold, but it does have adjustable notch discrimination and an iron audio toggle.

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff is right, the AT Gold runs at a higher frequency for gold. But we're talking the smaller raw pieces. The AT Pro will easily detect things like rings or other jewelry. The ATP doesn't have a true "all metal mode" like the Gold, but it does have adjustable notch discrimination and an iron audio toggle.

Ah, okay. Well wouldn't it be better to have an all metal mode so to say? I mean I understand what Jeff is saying about gold which is true, but in the end even though it is for gold is it better then the AT Pro?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, okay. Well wouldn't it be better to have an all metal mode so to say? I mean I understand what Jeff is saying about gold which is true, but in the end even though it is for gold is it better then the AT Pro?

If you want to dig all Metal including Iron Ore which PA has allot of ,
Yes Pure all metal is good. But if you want to at least narrow it down to man made
items, I'd say the Pro is better.

again, unless you plan to search for gold ore in the gold bairing states

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah okay, I understand what you're saying now. Thanks for the help!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to decide what you will be searching for, where you will be searching, and your budget, before you make a final decision.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can test drive the detectors you want to buy, in the area you will use them, you can see and hear their responses.

This seems to be the hardest part of MD'ing, picking the detector! Lol! GL. HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread