Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the different coils 5x8 or some of the NEL coils with the ATP? You may find more bang for the buck there rather than buying another machine.

If you are doing park hunting just how deep do you feel comfortable digging in that setting? Do you want to dig a 15" deep hole in a park?

I always though the ATP got you 80 to 85% of the results at 1/3 of the cost of other options.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the different coils 5x8 or some of the NEL coils with the ATP? You may find more bang for the buck there rather than buying another machine.

If you are doing park hunting just how deep do you feel comfortable digging in that setting? Do you want to dig a 15" deep hole in a park?

I always though the ATP got you 80 to 85% of the results at 1/3 of the cost of other options.

The use of different coils helps a lot on the amount of targets you get separated from the junk at a park or school lot. This can be done for a lot less money and you won't have to learn a new detector. Like with cars, you can spend more for more horse power but a jeep still gets you there.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm looking to upgrade from an ATPro for coin/jewelry hunting. Besides the Etrac (which I don't have anymore - ergonomics sucked) what do you consider an upgrade from the ATPro?

Thanks!

Upgrade in the ergo department? Is that what you are asking? Atpro is no slouch for coin/jewelry, that's what its made for actually. The snub dd's are awesome and its a fast one with excellent audio. The ergos suck out loud on atpro though, sorry to say. Think poor balance, cheap foam grip and 's' stick. Your question is like asking how do I upgrade from a chevrolet, I thought my Ferrari sucked I didnt like the seats so I want to upgrade. You see what Im saying.

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upgrade in the ergo department? Is that what you are asking? Atpro is no slouch for coin/jewelry, that's what its made for actually. The snub dd's are awesome and its a fast one with excellent audio. The ergos suck out loud on atpro though, sorry to say. Think poor balance, cheap foam grip and 's' stick. Your question is like asking how do I upgrade from a chevrolet, I thought my Ferrari sucked I didnt like the seats so I want to upgrade. You see what Im saying.

I understand what you're saying...but I'm fairly certain the Etrac isn't the only upgrade to the ATPro. Some other potentials have been mentioned here -like the F75, F70, and perhaps the Safari, Explore SE/II, T2, Outlaw, Vaq, etc.

My intention of this question was more pointed at people that had an ATPro and bought another "upgraded" detector and found that detector to perform better. I know the Etrac and CTX does (that I have experienced), but what else?

Maybe at the end of the day my certainty proves wrong - besides the high-end Minelab detectors, maybe the ATPro is the next best thing for coins and Jewelry in the park.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The use of different coils helps a lot on the amount of targets you get separated from the junk at a park or school lot. This can be done for a lot less money and you won't have to learn a new detector. Like with cars, you can spend more for more horse power but a jeep still gets you there.
.. Sandman i drive a jeep and love it … I am thinking of getting another one ..And i have the AT Pro and a Minelab..

Last edited:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont have an at pro, I have the at gold... I love it. It is and does what I need. The numbering system is true to metal types in the ground. Ive been practicing In The backyard. My grandfather in the early fifties threw out a bad fuse with a 1943 wheatie. Yeah, I found it! Two seperate distinct signals went off. This was because the cent was inside the fuse. The depth finder is flat out accurate. I was amazed that it could tell me two items were in the ground there. Great job garrett!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions