Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How far of an upgrade? $100 or $5000? There are way to many options with no info. I have a V3i and love it, but your about to get a ton of opinions! :)

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything under $1500 that works better on coins/jewelry in parks than an ATpro.

V3i is a good option. Do you think it's a better machine for coins/jewelry in parks than the atpro?

Any Others?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything under $1500 that works better on coins/jewelry in parks than an ATpro.

V3i is a good option. Do you think it's a better machine for coins/jewelry in parks than the atpro?

Any Others?

I love my E-Trac for deep coins! I hear the V3i can be rough to learn, but performs similar to the E-Trac. For a little more, that XP Deus seems to go deep, and the weight can't be beat. I've also heard good things on the Fisher F75.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, almost anything is better than the AT Pro. It is over hyped and there are still problems with stability. ID numbers don't lock on like some other machines.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Atpro in my opinon yes alot of people have them but they are very versitle not alot of people can afford 2 machines 1 for land another for water so whats best an Atpro does great with coins & relics
The v3i it is an awesome machine that can adapt to any site,but yo get to that point it does have a good bit of a learning Curve with its many many options,on the other hand it does have some hot out of the Box programs, & having 3 frequencies goin at the Same time helps in alot of situations,
The deus thats my favorite to date had one to very very light, its definetly a tone machine it is deep,& will produce, has alot if options but not over kill & having 4 switchable frequencies will help in different situations,
Minelabe xterrra 705 great coin machine can.change frequencies with a single coil change,definetly has good amount of options & a darn good coin machine
The f75ltd just picked one up, well very well balanced ,great amount of options I have heard its also a deep machine, thing is with this one i got no time out the house with it

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck, almost anything is better than the AT Pro. It is over hyped and there are still problems with stability. ID numbers don't lock on like some other machines.

Hey Sandman you said you liked atpro not long ago why the change of attitude? I cant see where it is over hyped because nobody hypes it. They might like it though. atp is not a buggy new machine they been around for four years I got an early one and I wasnt skeered because its a Garrett and mine is awesome. Garrett cant make money by selling bum tecters. I know seasoned guys that leave their Etracs and SE's home and use atpros now. How do you explain that?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that aswell sandman at first you hated it then you changed to liking now back to hating it

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sandman you said you liked atpro not long ago why the change of attitude? I cant see where it is over hyped because nobody hypes it. They might like it though. atp is not a buggy new machine they been around for four years I got an early one and I wasnt skeered because its a Garrett and mine is awesome. Garrett cant make money by selling bum tecters. I know seasoned guys that leave their Etracs and SE's home and use atpros now. How do you explain that?

I don't hate the ATP at all. I just said there are other detectors out there that out preform. I like the ATP's light weight and the fact that you can take it in the water wading. It is not a hard machine to learn and newbies like them cause they have no experiences with a lot of units. The guys that leave the Etracs and other heavier detectors at home do so because of the light weight of the atp. Its all in how much fun we have with what ever we are swinging. Now if the atp used a few more frequencies at once it would be a nice saltwater beach detector at a lower price. Garrett makes a good product and they're service is second to only one other manufacturer.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember that aswell sandman at first you hated it then you changed to liking now back to hating it

Changes tune with whatever audience is trying to be impressed. Politician type of thing!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Upgrade can mean several things but I assume you mean another machine. I've got the F75 Limited and an M6. Both are good machines depending on you wallet. Since most finds in the country are on average 6" or less you could go with a lot of machines. It also depends on you soil mineralization in the area you hunt how you GB and a few more things. I suggest reading some reviews on the web and not the products web sites. I've also got the AT Pro which has a learning curve as does most good machines. Side note: If your looking at the Etrac remember that it is designed for a little more Mineralization than normal. Ask around in your area as to how the mineral content is. It makes some difference. Good Luck.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything under $1500 that works better on coins/jewelry in parks than an ATpro. V3i is a good option. Do you think it's a better machine for coins/jewelry in parks than the atpro? Any Others?

I own both and use both about the same amount. If it's raining or extremely wet or I'm in the water I use the ATPro. If it's dry I use the V3i. The ATPro is a good bang for the buck but does not compare to the V3i at all. And I guess it shouldn't at more than twice the price. You get what you pay for with a detector. There are many good high end detectors with high end price tags. If anyone tells you there is no difference or advantage to a high end detector and a cheap "beep and dig" is as good as anything out there, they either just don't have any experience with the high end models or really just choose not to believe it.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I own both and use both about the same amount. If it's raining or extremely wet or I'm in the water I use the ATPro. If it's dry I use the V3i. The ATPro is a good bang for the buck but does not compare to the V3i at all.

Just curious, when you found the brass horseshoe was that with the white's or the garrett? Joe

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It was with the ATPro. There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground and it was about 25 degrees. If I didn't have the Pro I would not have went out as it was a muddy soaking wet mess when I was finished. The perfect example of why I own both. ;)

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
charliebrown (2).jpg Now I just need a vehicle that won't get stuck. I almost got stuck in a park parking area yesterday. The only thing found was a chew tobacco tin (my sons found that) still tobacco in it probably fell out of someone's pocket.

more white stuff predicted from tonight
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Jw65_faCRPg/TxRhdDC676I/AAAAAAAAAt8/FeKDJcLvugQ/s1600/charliebrown.jpg

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites mxt... That would be an upgrade....

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many upgrades to list all of them. I happen to love my AT Pro. But for more money you can get more machine. If you don't mind extra weight and no discrimination, you could go with a PI machine. But for most people I would say T2SE or F75Ltd.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many upgrades to list all of them. I happen to love my AT Pro. But for more money you can get more machine. If you don't mind extra weight and no discrimination, you could go with a PI machine. But for most people I would say T2SE or F75Ltd.

Definetly a nice machine as an option the t2se or f75ltd, but not all upgrades more machine, more options ect are heavier a deus xp is alot of machine at the weight of a stick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread