waiting for snow to melt?

Buford420

Jun 28, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ur like me and live in an area with harsh winters, u r getting stir crazy desperately wanting to go detecting. I've even went out and searched sledding hills for recently dropped jewelry. I just picked up a CTX3030 and I haven't even been able to break it in. I consider my e trac to be the best machine I've ever used so I had to try the upgrade. Anyways, I've spent hours and hours watching youtube videos and it just gets me that much more psyched. I am posting this for 2 reasons: 1, I want to hear your stories of desperation and anxiety, and 2, I would love for u to check out my videos and maybe even subscribe. Just some of the finds are, gold rings, seated dimes, barber dimes and quarters, countless mercs, rosies and washingtons. How about a solid silver spoon from 1896 worth $150? I have early canadian silver, V nickels, buffalos-a-plenty, over 100 rings including a 1945 air force ring and large 1/3 ounce 14k gold mens ring with a large ruby. Anyways, I would love to hear ur stories and if u don't want to check out my channel (diggin1145s) please don't leave rude comments, just tell me how much u can't wait to get out and detect. All my vids r in HD and I show the signals on the etrac very clearly as I built a very stable camera mount. Again, that youtube.com/diggin1145s. I have nearly 5000 views at this point. Good luck and happy hunting

ForumRunner_20140220_144247.png

ForumRunner_20140220_144314.png

ForumRunner_20140220_144351.png

ForumRunner_20140220_144447.png

ForumRunner_20140220_144545.png

ForumRunner_20140220_144623.png

Upvote 0

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had such a big snow storm last night you could not see out our front house windows! And yes I have a ctx 3030 sitting not even used once as well lol, but like always spring will arrive , I just hope I like the ctx as much as I did my atp pro I sold to fund the 3030

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

OP
OP
B

Buford420

Jun 28, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an atpro and switched to the etrac and it was the best switch I ever made. My silver finding literally quadrupled. I don't know if ill ever buy a garrett again after that massive increase. But it took me nearly a month to really figure out the etrac so don't give up on the ctx. Give it a couple months and u will be extremely happy with the switch

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Living in the Granite state, we get some harsh weather! I'm so ready for this season!!

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories of desparation and anxiety, hmmm..well, the only place I can search now are the local beaches. Last trip was about 2 weeks ago. The entire beach was one frozen solid block of sand. It takes a lot for me to give up so I took out my lesche pick axe and proceeded to chip away at the frozen sand whenever I got a good signal. It went something like this:

Get good signal
swing away with small pick axe
disregard tiny chunks of frozen sand that fly into eyeball
shut one eye
continue swinging axe
ignore onlookers that think your out of your skull
Miss hole with axe and hit kneecap
curse into heavy winter coat so onlookers don't hear you
fill other eyeball with flying frozen sand chunks
finally, remove rusty bottlecap that you just worked so hard for

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stories of desparation and anxiety, hmmm..well, the only place I can search now are the local beaches. Last trip was about 2 weeks ago. The entire beach was one frozen solid block of sand. It takes a lot for me to give up so I took out my lesche pick axe and proceeded to chip away at the frozen sand whenever I got a good signal. It went something like this: Get good signal swing away with small pick axe disregard tiny chunks of frozen sand that fly into eyeball shut one eye continue swinging axe ignore onlookers that think your out of your skull Miss hole with axe and hit kneecap curse into heavy winter coat so onlookers don't hear you fill other eyeball with flying frozen sand chunks finally, remove rusty bottlecap that you just worked so hard for
Iam totally jealous !! I would need a snowplow to get down to the ground :(

OP
OP
B

Buford420

Jun 28, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoL. We have 2 to 3 feet of snow right now and it takes a lot of energy to trounce around in that so by the time u get to a dtectable area, ur breathing like u just ran a marathon. Then I find a set of keys and 2 modern coins before I give up after an hour of searching.

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoL. We have 2 to 3 feet of snow right now and it takes a lot of energy to trounce around in that so by the time u get to a dtectable area, ur breathing like u just ran a marathon. Then I find a set of keys and 2 modern coins before I give up after an hour of searching.

I'm from Michigan as well, and yes, this weather is driving me crazy! I've resorted to performing worthless air tests on my E-Trac and AT Pro. From the looks of it, we are in for sub-freezing temps for another 2 weeks!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories of desparation and anxiety, hmmm..well, the only place I can search now are the local beaches. Last trip was about 2 weeks ago. The entire beach was one frozen solid block of sand. It takes a lot for me to give up so I took out my lesche pick axe and proceeded to chip away at the frozen sand whenever I got a good signal. It went something like this:

Get good signal
swing away with small pick axe
disregard tiny chunks of frozen sand that fly into eyeball
shut one eye
continue swinging axe
ignore onlookers that think your out of your skull
Miss hole with axe and hit kneecap
curse into heavy winter coat so onlookers don't hear you
fill other eyeball with flying frozen sand chunks
finally, remove rusty bottlecap that you just worked so hard for

I feel your pain! Last time out I was using my screwdriver and digging tool to chip what I hoped were worth while goodies out of the hard frozen tundra, ended up with irritated eyes (flying frozen ground) and blisters on my palms! Wish I had a pick axe!

Soon, soon, it will thaw......or else!!!!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A foot of snow yesterday. I made an attempt to get to my backyard to see if I could knock some of the ice off my trees but only made it less than 10 feet. The snow was waist deep and so heavy I was having trouble lifting up my feet high enough to take a step. Yes, it will melt, but it just might be mid May like last year before it happens.

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought I had it bad at one foot of snow! But I still feel your pain with several feet. This has been such a tough winter and I just started detecting in December and I'm so itchy to get out it isn't funny. In fact, I've been having MDing dreams. Last night I was dreaming of MDing in the river below a spillway and was finding silver quarters by the buckets! It was such a real dream too. How desperate is that!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have detecting dreams. Go onto you tube, Sharryn, and look up Beau Ouimette. He has a bunch of videos but three are of him finding a huge huge stash of old coins in a river. It as close to a dream hunt as anyone will get.

79bandit

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2014
centre county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been out since Dec. 31st 2013. Freezing temps and snow snow snow. Thursday we hit high 40's as well as of today and from a foot of snow to maybe 4" now. Brother and I hitting 1 of our favorite spots on the ridge top. Been waiting to get out and its been on my mind a lot. Don't know I sleep tonite lol

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys need to move down here to Austin,TX. It was sunny and 75 today and Saturday 80 or 82:sunny:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of my best finds were during winters. I have found military buttons,relics and coins this winter alone. I got this key date victorian 1887 quarter around two weeks ago at around 6" and this is a record winter for cold and snow. I just dig deep targets that are below the frozen layer of soil where the dirt is still soft (especially in woods)! A good hatchet for the top frozen layer is my best friend this time of year. I don't hunt anywhere this time of year that you would leave any mess like a yard because it's impossible to make the hole perfect again when it's frozen. I live in Nova Scotia so waiting all winter to detect again is not an option for me. I will wait if the snow is deep and that's about it! If the ground is super hard in a certain spot and I got a really good hit I will mark it and come back as soon as possible! (:

image-1068253742.jpg

image-3418027445.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys need to move down here to Austin,TX. It was sunny and 75 today and Saturday 80 or 82:sunny:

Lol! We're all gonna come visit you till spring, and bringing our detectors!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yeah for the winter it would be cool but in the summer,triple digits can be hard to hunt in.I can only take a couple of hours when its 90 then I'm drenched8-)

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year by mid March, I was able to dig at the beach, or some where, every day, this year I doubt I will even see bare ground by then, much less be able to recover targets...............sooooooooo much snow on the ground!!!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'd take ice over snow. At least you don't lose depth and you can mark targets for later.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My backyard, the snow is higher than my deck, and expecting more snow tonight :(

Attachments

• image-3832754033.jpg
    image-3832754033.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 55

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread