Coil Covers, are they necessary?

zurc

Feb 14, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett ProPointer, Treasure Products 580 PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you have TO pay the $$$ for a new coil you'll understand. The coils are weakest on the edges which wear through fast. The only disadvantage is black sand gets inside the cover which makes the coil unstable. Easy to clean out.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello zurc, welcome. Yes to your first question and no to the second. Coil replacement is not cheap, always good to take care of what you have.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my old coil cover that was on my CZ5 for almost 20 years which was replaced with a new one, so you can see the damage that can be done over a period of time. 100_1736.JPG 100_1740.JPG
100_1738.JPG 100_1741.JPG

OP
OP
zurc

zurc

Feb 14, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett ProPointer, Treasure Products 580 PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. Thank you for the responses. I have covers for all my coils, I was actually just curious if it took away from the performance of the detecting.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is how the heck do you get them off without messin up the coil.. the covers on the 9" whites spider are really tight.. you got nothin to hold on to so you can pull it off.. braking out the small screw driver is not so good..

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all. Thank you for the responses. I have covers for all my coils, I was actually just curious if it took away from the performance of the detecting.
I have never ever ever worn out a coil ! (Whites only) I only had lots and lots of trouble with the fine particles of grit that did enter my coil making it sensitive and useless ! I recommend to never ever ever use a coil protector, if it wears out, then it was made cheeeeeeply! Sooooo forget it, hunt hard and leave the protector off! HH

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using a coil cover DOES NOT affect performance at all.

Attachments

• lobo 007.jpg
    lobo 007.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 122
  • vvv 001.jpg
    vvv 001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 466

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use one in rocky areas but not in the water. I've never worn out a coil (or coil cover either for that matter) but it's cheap insurance and doesn't really effect performance unless mineralized debris gets between it and the coil.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's quite a variety of opinions here, and both sides have their merits. Years ago when it was the fashion to "scrub" the ground with the coil, a protector was a godsend. It didn't take the desert gravel of Arizona long to wear a hole in a good coil. Nowadays machines are more sensitive and deeper-seeking, so there is normally no reason to let the coil touch the ground. If properly used, you are not likely to ever wear out a coil so, in my opinion, a coil is not a crucial item. And I agree that some are VERY hard to remove without destroying the cover itself. I have covers on some of mine, not on others, and there appears to be zero difference in performance. As insurance against sand and grit getting inside the coil, I like to rub a little clear silicone into the edges to give a better seal. When the silicone peels or starts to look raggy it's easy to pull it off and reseal. I'm not sure if it really helps, but it's good for my peace of mind.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nevermind!!!!
Use a coil protector..... PLEASE!
That way there will be much left over for our grandchildren!!
:)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some hunters have coated the bottom of the coils with Epoxy. I used to coat the edges with silicone till one Excal went crazy because some black sand found its way in thru a gap many years ago.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've found no difference with or without a cover
i do prefer, although granted (a pain to remove) covers
i've seen the damage with and without, and it's expensive
without
TRUST US :4leafclover:
HH

GaryInOhio

Feb 19, 2014
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil covers are cheap...coils are not.
Whites has some of the least expensive coil covers out there and I have to give them kudos on that.
Coils covers, after all, are about the simplest piece of vacuum formed or injection molded plastic you could make.
I don't know how other manufacturers can justify charging $20 and up.
Whites covers are between $6-15.
Plus when you go to sell a coil it will get a much higher price if it looks pristine.

OP
OP
zurc

zurc

Feb 14, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both my Garretts came with coil covers and to buy new, they are only $11... The price or even taking them off / on aren't so much the issue, at all. Was just curious if it effected the performance. I have only used each of my detectors a half dozen times now and I haven't ran into the issue of taking them off for cleaning at all. Actually its quite easy. Just rincse and wipe dry with a clean cloth.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is how the heck do you get them off without messin up the coil.. the covers on the 9" whites spider are really tight.. you got nothin to hold on to so you can pull it off.. braking out the small screw driver is not so good..
i use a very small, thin flat bar and work it around
it dont have to come off to often,depending on how long or what you had it in

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nevermind

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's quite a variety of opinions here, and both sides have their merits. Years ago when it was the fashion to "scrub" the ground with the coil, a protector was a godsend. It didn't take the desert gravel of Arizona long to wear a hole in a good coil. Nowadays machines are more sensitive and deeper-seeking, so there is normally no reason to let the coil touch the ground. If properly used, you are not likely to ever wear out a coil so, in my opinion, a coil is not a crucial item. And I agree that some are VERY hard to remove without destroying the cover itself. I have covers on some of mine, not on others, and there appears to be zero difference in performance. As insurance against sand and grit getting inside the coil, I like to rub a little clear silicone into the edges to give a better seal. When the silicone peels or starts to look raggy it's easy to pull it off and reseal. I'm not sure if it really helps, but it's good for my peace of mind.
If sealing them were fool proof, I'd agree that it's a good idea. Problem is, one tiny little split in the sealer or cover and you would be amazed how much stuff can get inside. Then you have a REAL mess on your hands trying to remove the old sealer. Better just to remove and clean. If it's stubborn to get off, a thin putty knife works pretty good. Just be easy with it and work it around to several spots to break it loose without damaging the cover.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This subject comes up from time to time. While covers do add a little extra weight and may need to have debris cleaned out occasionally, they are trasparent to the coil's signal and therefore don't have a negative influence on the detecting ability. My take is if you like'm use'm. I personally use them for all the reason listed by those above me on this thread. Those that don't care for them certainly can go without - it's their choice.
luvsdux

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its worth teh 12-15 bucks....first day I got my 5x8 for my ATP, i hit a damn rock and chipped a piece off...So the way I hunt...a Cover is MUCH NEEDED

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread