63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not own Garret equipment however with the White's I do own, in General, there will be some loss but then it depends on how close you can keep the coil to the ground. If you are working ground with lots of obstacles then the smaller coil may allow you to keep the coil closer but also remember to swing the smaller coil slower than normal as it well separate the junk targets better from the good targets. Yes it will take you longer to go over a piece of ground but the smaller coil will help locate good targets (if they are there) better than the larger coil will over the same ground.

And now for a Garret owner to chime in. Best of luck with the coil choices and types of coils................63bkpkr

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much depth loss. But a good increase in separation. If you are hunting in trashy areas, go with the smaller coil. In open, clean areas you can stay with the standard coil with no problem. I just went with the 5" x 8" DD for my ATP and I really like the it. That said, I have only been in weed infested and trashy areas with it.

OP
OP
Diggin4nails

Diggin4nails

Feb 16, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Teknetics Delta 4000
Ok. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Your coil question is not specific to Garrett. Its a basic principle of tecters. Bigger is deeper. You will lose depth by going smaller. You just cant argue it regardless of make or model. A good rule of thumb is the coil diameter will handle coins down to that diameter. So if you go from say 11 to 9, you will lose 2. But there are other factors. The smaller coil may be "hotter" on certain targets. The smaller dds will work the trash a lot better.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much depth loss. But a good increase in separation. If you are hunting in trashy areas, go with the smaller coil. In open, clean areas you can stay with the standard coil with no problem. I just went with the 5" x 8" DD for my ATP and I really like the it. That said, I have only been in weed infested and trashy areas with it.

I agree with this totally.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not lose any noticeable depth when switching to the smaller coil. I did notice it got between objects better and was also lighter overall!

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure how much depth is lost. (Not that I am into digging really deep holes anyway.)

But, I just changed to the smaller coil and cannot compliment it enough. My finds have increased a whole lot with the smaller coil.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John. In Edmonton did a chart once showing about 1/2 inch depth difference . In the field, it's not noticeable. Better separation of targets is a great advantage.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions