i want to get the ctx 3030, tell me why i shouldnt?

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see any reason not to, but there doesn't seem to be a high degree of confidence in how waterproof those are. You want to wade with it?

OP
OP
mattysee

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes maybe some creeks and stuff nothing serious, i have heard the ctx has waterproof issues though, and there is an ez fix supposedly, i like to hunt in down pours, and creeks

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only negative I see, which is a knockout for me, is the weight of the machine. At least a pound heavier than an AT, and you'll notice it.

OP
OP
mattysee

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no prob for me im 230lbs lol

OP
OP
mattysee

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive heard its well balanced even though heavier

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well balanced, yes, but still heavy. I bought a harness. Price is the only concern I can see.

If you take it in the water, be sure to keep the O-ring clean and lubed up with silicone (not the glue).

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is no reason why you shouldn't, it's an amazing machine, and add the 6'' coil and it's even more amazing.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it! Do not lube battery oring though. It attracts dirt and sand and the tiny groove it fits in can be hard to get sand out of with lube down in it. Just keep it clean and dirt free when removing/ replacing battery. I blow mine out with a can of keyboard cleaner or low pressure compressed air. Just replace oring every once in a while to be safe, the leaks I have heard of were caused by microscopic cuts from sand. Good luck!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go for it! Do not lube battery oring though. It attracts dirt and sand and the tiny groove it fits in can be hard to get sand out of with lube down in it. Just keep it clean and dirt free when removing/ replacing battery. I blow mine out with a can of keyboard cleaner or low pressure compressed air. Just replace oring every once in a while to be safe, the leaks I have heard of were caused by microscopic cuts from sand. Good luck!

Yep, Fletch you might be right on the lube. I wipe the O-ring down periodically, but don't keep it gunked up. I will check. What is interesting is how dirty that O-ring can get.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes maybe some creeks and stuff nothing serious, i have heard the ctx has waterproof issues though, and there is an ez fix supposedly, i like to hunt in down pours, and creeks

Even if you opted for a lower priced Minelab you wouldn't have any problem with the rain as long as you keep it covered. My Explorer with Sunray cover up is definitely rain proof. So a CTX wouldn't make any difference to me in that sense because I'd still keep a cover on it to keep the housing from getting marked up.

OP
OP
mattysee

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks all for the feedback im def going to pull the trigger on this machine, now just have to wait for this 2 feet of snow to melt lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mattysee, you ask for reasons *NOT* to get a CTX. Here's one: that the sunray in-line probes are not compatible. There is no in-line probe available for this machine. Most persons who have come up through the ranks of explorer evolution and had the sun-ray probe (or had other brands with their own versions of sun-ray inline), you will sorely miss having a probe. That is a BIG downside for the CTX. Unless of course this isn't something you're accustomed to, and simply don't use probes, or have only-ever-used free-standing hand-held probes.

iron-patch is right: If you're only objective in "water proof" is simply to have the coil in ebbing creekside water, then you don't need a fully water-proof machine. Because the coils of all machines are water-proof afterall. And as for "rain", then simply cover any machine with plastic and black-tape, if you're heading out on such a day. Just the simple box cover/plastic thing is sufficient for light drizzle. Oh sure, it won't survive a true under-water dunking, but for just casual in-rain hunting, I either rely on the standard cover, or if true-hard rain (like during beach storm erosion) will wrap up in plastic and black tape.

If you're truly going to go out a LOT in pouring rain, then yes, that can get tedious. But for occasional sprays, or once-in-awhile in rain, you'd be paying a lot for the added waterproofing of the CTX.

The older explorers (II, etrac, etc...) are just as deep, and accomplish all that the CTX can do, as far as depth and tones go. I know some will argue its got different bells and whistles, or goes deeper, etc.... Yet ..... for the most part, the guys with the II's where I'm at, are doing every bit as good in deep turf as the CTX guys are doing. Combined with the lack of in-line probe, has caused a lot of us to think twice about thinking we "need" the CTX. A used explorer II or Etrac can be had for 1/4 the price of the CTX. Just something to think about. (Unless you have lots of $$ burning a hole through your pocket.)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use inline probe on any of my detectors, never could see point in buying inline probe that can only be used on one model detector, but that is just my personal opinion..

I have hand held probes that work perfectly on any detector. ... Using Detectorpro Uniprobe, Uniprobe hits 6 inches and detector tones go through same headphones as Uniprobe tones.

I now also have the Vulcan 360 that so far I am very impressed with and it hits a solid 3+ inches....

I have ETrac and Sovereign GT I use for land detecting that I use probes on, I don't cut plugs, I probe and recover by slicing sod then pinching it back together.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use inline probe on any of my detectors, never could see point in buying inline probe that can only be used on one model detector, but that is just my personal opinion.. I have hand held probes that work perfectly on any detector. ... Using Detectorpro Uniprobe, Uniprobe hits 6 inches and detector tones go through same headphones as Uniprobe tones. I now also have the Vulcan 360 that so far I am very impressed with and it hits a solid 3+ inches.... I have ETrac and Sovereign GT I use for land detecting that I use probes on, I don't cut plugs, I probe and recover by slicing sod then pinching it back together..... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
I bought a used one and used it for 1 hunt. I prefer the vibratory response over the audio. Sold it as fast as I purchased it. It was too cumbersome for my preferences and I don't like having the coil wire exposed on outside of Etrac.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have tried the inline probes and even of they work well, I think that a hand held pin pointer was better. I wouldn't limit my purchase of a detector just because I can't install a probe. I think that the ctx would have the same problem I found when I purchased the mxt.... Too complicated to get most out of the detector. I couldn't stand having 100 different menu and 2000 different settings... I would always wonder if I am detecting I the correct setting. I like to have simple machines that work. That is why I have an old CZ 70 I the way and probably will have a M6 soon....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried the inline probes and even of they work well, I think that a hand held pin pointer was better. I wouldn't limit my purchase of a detector just because I can't install a probe. I think that the ctx would have the same problem I found when I purchased the mxt.... Too complicated to get most out of the detector. I couldn't stand having 100 different menu and 2000 different settings... I would always wonder if I am detecting I the correct setting. I like to have simple machines that work. That is why I have an old CZ 70 I the way and probably will have a M6 soon....
I have thought the same thing before and just did a reset in the field and started with basic programs. They are pretty good right out of the box and trying to tweak everything can take away from actual hunting time. I find the Sovereign GT more comfortable and more enjoyable lately. Call me old fashioned, but I always seem to find at least one decent coin or relic when I use it, no matter how trashy the area is. Not trying to discourage anyone from buying the CTX it is an awesome machine, the weight is not noticeable because it perfectly balanced with 11" coil.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mattysee, you ask for reasons *NOT* to get a CTX. Here's one: that the sunray in-line probes are not compatible. There is no in-line probe available for this machine. Most persons who have come up through the ranks of explorer evolution and had the sun-ray probe (or had other brands with their own versions of sun-ray inline), you will sorely miss having a probe. That is a BIG downside for the CTX. Unless of course this isn't something you're accustomed to, and simply don't use probes, or have only-ever-used free-standing hand-held probes.

iron-patch is right: If you're only objective in "water proof" is simply to have the coil in ebbing creekside water, then you don't need a fully water-proof machine. Because the coils of all machines are water-proof afterall. And as for "rain", then simply cover any machine with plastic and black-tape, if you're heading out on such a day. Just the simple box cover/plastic thing is sufficient for light drizzle. Oh sure, it won't survive a true under-water dunking, but for just casual in-rain hunting, I either rely on the standard cover, or if true-hard rain (like during beach storm erosion) will wrap up in plastic and black tape.

If you're truly going to go out a LOT in pouring rain, then yes, that can get tedious. But for occasional sprays, or once-in-awhile in rain, you'd be paying a lot for the added waterproofing of the CTX.

The older explorers (II, etrac, etc...) are just as deep, and accomplish all that the CTX can do, as far as depth and tones go. I know some will argue its got different bells and whistles, or goes deeper, etc.... Yet ..... for the most part, the guys with the II's where I'm at, are doing every bit as good in deep turf as the CTX guys are doing. Combined with the lack of in-line probe, has caused a lot of us to think twice about thinking we "need" the CTX. A used explorer II or Etrac can be had for 1/4 the price of the CTX. Just something to think about. (Unless you have lots of $$ burning a hole through your pocket.)

Two things.... The probe not being compatible is really not a factor because Sunray no longer makes it for the Explorer/E-trac, and repair costs are high so a used one is probably not a great idea, especially that they will likely get the retail price and have no warranty.

I've never used any type of plastic bag to cover the control box, just the detector cover, and have hunted in spilling rain... sometimes for hours. I have no idea how many days I've been out in the rain since 2000 but it has been a lot.

And for the record I could have bought a CTX in Dec. but went to another Explorer SE.... so I agree with you that I don't believe it offers a whole lot more, and and to me probably less because I like the sounds of the Explorer and how it reacts in iron. I do not believe I would like any change, and if I wanted a faster detector I'd buy a Fisher or something similar to that.

PS: Most threads drive me nuts to read because either people go from another brand to a CTX, or they never even had a lot of time on an Explorer or E-trac. The only people I really would like to hear from are the ones who have had the explorer for 5-10 years and changed to the CTX, and changed as soon as it came out. But there doesn't seem to be too many of those people posting their thoughts.... but then again I'm not spending a lot of time reading posts because I already know what I'll be swinging this year and probably for the several years to come.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things.... The probe not being compatible is really not a factor because Sunray no longer makes it for the Explorer/E-trac, and repair costs are high so a used one is probably not a great idea, especially that they will likely get the retail price and have no warranty.

I've never used any type of plastic bag to cover the control box, just the detector cover, and have hunted in spilling rain... sometimes for hours. I have no idea how many days I've been out in the rain since 2000 but it has been a lot.

And for the record I could have bought a CTX in Dec. but went to another Explorer SE.... so I agree with you that I don't believe it offers a whole lot more, and and to me probably less because I like the sounds of the Explorer and how it reacts in iron. I do not believe I would like any change, and if I wanted a faster detector I'd buy a Fisher or something similar to that.

PS: Most threads drive me nuts to read because either people go from another brand to a CTX, or they never even had a lot of time on an Explorer or E-trac. The only people I really would like to hear from are the ones who have had the explorer for 5-10 years and changed to the CTX, and changed as soon as it came out. But there doesn't seem to be too many of those people posting their thoughts.... but then again I'm not spending a lot of time reading posts because I already know what I'll be swinging this year and probably for the several years to come.

I'm still using and learning my ETrac. My hunting partner Davespens had some custom programs he came up with for ETrac that are really good we put on mine...

I don't see myself getting a CTX unless I happen to stumble on a used one for a fantastic price.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread