Diggers

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched it last night for the first time. Season two, the first three episodes.
Those guys are morons. Do other people in the hobby actually act like them?

Lets hope not because there might be a chance they could develop roll models, which would probably cause the closure of all possible detecting property to the general detecting public who have metal detecting as a hobby.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER watched it and NEVER will watch it !!!! I have better things to do with my time, than watch something stupid like that !!!
If you've never watched it, how do you know you don't like it? This might be the funniest thing Ive heard on TNET.

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few people will ever make the money metal detecting that these guys are making on this show. It isn't meant to be real, it's meant to be entertaining. Nobody would watch a show of someone quietly digging pull tabs! I enjoy watching the show occasionally. Whats with all the elitism?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who love the show, Season 3 starts next week. I think its stupid but I watch every episode.

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is hilarious, such opposing points of view on the topic. I'm going to take a guess that the trend is older people don't like it, while younger people don't mind it. So what if they overact some excitement over a find. They have said themselves that sometimes a camera angle was wrong, or there was a bad take, so they have to put the find back in the hole and "rediscover it" for the camera. That's just how television works.

They take care of the holes they dig, they respect the property, and they make sure historical items, if not everything, stay with the landowners. Of course they find good stuff often, they get access to many historical places that other people do not. Being on television is an easy motivator for a landowner to grant permission. I'm not saying that there may be an occasional planted item, because I have no way of knowing for sure.

I get the feeling that people who have been metal detecting for a long time just don't want the hobby to gain attention, thinking that more people in it means less things for them to find.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I watch it as I am a metal detecting addict. I believe that they are a little bit too animated and sometimes act as if a union button I a $20.00 Gold piece. I have never heard the terms roundness, nectar or juice until I watched their show and pretty much look at it as a 30 minute infomercial for the ATP Pro.

On the other hand it does give people a perspective on the passion that we have for it. As has been said, at least there is some history in their and they fill their holes.

I actually enjoyed Dig Wars much more because the mere presence of Chicago Ron told you that it was the real deal. There was also several different machines out there. Chicago Ron and his buddy had their Minelabs, but I saw Whites, Garrett, Teknetics, Fisher etc etc ..........so it was interesting too.

The only problem is that these programs have spawned a generation of people to go out and by Bounty Hunters and invade the beaches that I have been working for years ......LOL

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few people will ever make the money metal detecting that these guys are making on this show. It isn't meant to be real, it's meant to be entertaining. Nobody would watch a show of someone quietly digging pull tabs! I enjoy watching the show occasionally. Whats with all the elitism?
Your right, We have had numerous discussions about this show and I always say, its a SHOW nothing more nothing less.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is hilarious, such opposing points of view on the topic. I'm going to take a guess that the trend is older people don't like it, while younger people don't mind it. So what if they overact some excitement over a find. They have said themselves that sometimes a camera angle was wrong, or there was a bad take, so they have to put the find back in the hole and "rediscover it" for the camera. That's just how television works.

They take care of the holes they dig, they respect the property, and they make sure historical items, if not everything, stay with the landowners. Of course they find good stuff often, they get access to many historical places that other people do not. Being on television is an easy motivator for a landowner to grant permission. I'm not saying that there may be an occasional planted item, because I have no way of knowing for sure.

I get the feeling that people who have been metal detecting for a long time just don't want the hobby to gain attention, thinking that more people in it means less things for them to find.
You nailed it...I figured out real quick what group didn't like this show and why.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a few, can't stand the ridiculous lingo and antics. Really dislike the unproductive conjecture over trying to identify certain relics to definite historical events. They find things and say they "must" have come from a certain event, but there is often no way it could be proven. I think more newbies than veteran hunters like the show, and it is for the reasons I state that the veterans don't like it, not because we are afraid of more people entering the field. There are now a zillion slightly used machines for sale as more folks get into it and quickly discover that most of what we dig has little monetary or historical value and they haven't the patience for the game.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You nailed it...I figured out real quick what group didn't like this show and why.
All I know is nobody who acts like that is going detecting with me! You hang out with them if you want.:laughing7:

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know too many older or younger guys that would throw themselves into a bush or rock when they find something but I like seeing what they find (antics aside)!
I'm 63 years old and whatever happened to the open minded-generation?
Did you run out of "nectar"?:laughing7:

Last edited:

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've never watched it, how do you know you don't like it? This might be the funniest thing Ive heard on TNET.

I go by what I have heard about the show. If someone tells how fun detecting is do you have to see it done, before you can believe it ? Or do you have to see everything, because you can't go by anything you hear ? I grew up when you could count on someones word, you didn't have to doubt their word.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More power to the " Diggers ". They are making money doing what they love to do. It is TV don't forget and it is all for the show. They are no worse than any other TV reality show out there now. Heaven forbid we get more people interested in our hobby or back into the hobby and there is less to find for those of us who have been doing it awhile.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch them just to see what ares they hunt. Its been mentioned serveral times..the show HAS to be scripted, or it would just be another Youtube Video ( which I used to enjoy more)

to be honest. I'm tired of watching anyones videos these days, unless it was somethign really speical to the person to see thier reaction. Ive made videos, been on other peoples videos. and im burned out of it now. Plus after tyhe last 5 years of watching how many people are pumping videos out . I would have to quit my job to watch them.

I think this show and YT vidoes are great for people just getting into this hobby.

For me. I would rather spend my time ACTUALLY HUNTING...or researching a place.

With all that said...yes, i will still watch the moron brothesr do thier retarted dances everytime they find something

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go by what I have heard about the show. If someone tells how fun detecting is do you have to see it done, before you can believe it ? Or do you have to see everything, because you can't go by anything you hear ? I grew up when you could count on someones word, you didn't have to doubt their word.
If you go by what you hear, I feel sorry for you...Ive got some gold bars I would like to sell to you...I promise they are real, no need to look at em. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch them just to see what ares they hunt. Its been mentioned serveral times..the show HAS to be scripted, or it would just be another Youtube Video ( which I used to enjoy more) to be honest. I'm tired of watching anyones videos these days, unless it was somethign really speical to the person to see thier reaction. Ive made videos, been on other peoples videos. and im burned out of it now. Plus after tyhe last 5 years of watching how many people are pumping videos out . I would have to quit my job to watch them. I think this show and YT vidoes are great for people just getting into this hobby. For me. I would rather spend my time ACTUALLY HUNTING...or researching a place. With all that said...yes, i will still watch the moron brothesr do thier retarted dances everytime they find something
Im with you...at least its a show about metal detecting and they don't find unbelievably great stuff.

Last edited:

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I like the show, and my 8 year old son LOVES the show!!! We discovered the show last year together. He gets very little TV time so when he is interested in a show we watch it together, so I can make sure it's appropriate. It's a good, clean family show. I enjoy the finds and my son enjoys the finds also but cracks up on how they act, very entertaining. So our interest was sparked in detecting. He started with a kids $50 detector, and I let him dictate the use, as in we only went detecting if he asked, and he asked
a lot! Now we both have Fisher F2's

Now we have another great father/son activity to do together along with scouting, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc..

So thank you diggers, keep bringing the roundness!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've recently got reason to believe
from a good source, some of their finds are Planted.

it's Hard to believe, since most of their finds are not really amazing.

But I heard they (or production) approached a land owner requesting permission
to plant some finds for the show.

I didn't ask for more details

so I was right to wonder how they 'happened ' to find that gold coin in nawlins?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watch them just to see what ares they hunt. Its been mentioned serveral times..the show HAS to be scripted, or it would just be another Youtube Video ( which I used to enjoy more)

to be honest. I'm tired of watching anyones videos these days, unless it was somethign really speical to the person to see thier reaction. Ive made videos, been on other peoples videos. and im burned out of it now. Plus after tyhe last 5 years of watching how many people are pumping videos out . I would have to quit my job to watch them.

I think this show and YT vidoes are great for people just getting into this hobby.

For me. I would rather spend my time ACTUALLY HUNTING...or researching a place.

With all that said...yes, i will still watch the moron brothesr do thier retarted dances everytime they find something

that's why I only watch the 'naked detecting' videos

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread