Ever randomly detect a river?

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The St. Croix river is one I know well from fishing it all of my life, like a lot of rivers a lot of history is wrapped up into this gorgeous little river, loggers, fur traders etc.. When detecting the banks of a river do you always stay around known early settlements or do you randomly walk the shoreline and banks? What type of artifacts if any can be found in relation to early French fur traders and old saw mills? I am so excited I found another excuse to walk the banks of the St. Croix!:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only spent a couple hours in a random river, it's in a logging area, but now it's used for canoeing...
I did the banks but too much trash, found some modern coins, then got in the river, not as much trash but still just modern coins...
I'm sure there's good stuff in there just didn't have the time to do it justice.....

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me you'll generally do best in places where there's been human activity, just like any other type of site. However, you never know what you'll find until you swing your coil over the ground.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd concentrate on areas with a river crossing (old bridge, ford, or ferry), swimming areas, and places by old houses and businesses. Random shoreline out in the middle of nowhere is unlikely to produce anything but your occasional fishing weight.

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried metal detecting along the river on Saturday and found a nice Silver Pendant. I think just randomly metal detecting along any part of the river will get you frustrated. There seems to be a lot of trash compared to good targets. As mentioned above look for old river crossings - fords, ferry's, bridges, boat launches etc. However at least in my area the rivers were once the highways of today. People settled close to the rivers and moved up and down the rivers to trade goods. Also military used it for transport and knew of it's importance so built forts near by. You may get lucky and find something great! Here is my video on youtube if you care to watch (sorry if it seems amateur I've only just started doing videos this year):

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RustyGold I do feel a bit sad for the unlucky traveler that did lose it though

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go onto you tube and look up Beau Ouimette's videos. He had an incredible coin cache find at a river crossing that is amazing to watch. Probably at least two months till you can can near the river, so you might as well dream.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan, thanks for the info on Beau Ouimette's videos. Unbelievable stuff.

Paul

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go onto you tube and look up Beau Ouimette's videos. He had an incredible coin cache find at a river crossing that is amazing to watch. Probably at least two months till you can can near the river, so you might as well dream.
I checked out the videos and they are amazing. Would be very cool to stumble across a pile of coins like that.

rplante

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the risk of being a buzz kill, you best check if detecting is allowed beforehand.

Much, if not all, of the St. Croix river is designated a National Scenic Waterway and detecting is not allowed. Don't ask me why I know this but lets just say I know someone who was told to cease and desist from detecting in or near said river.

I agree, Baeu's vidios are amazing.

nhdigging

Greenie
Feb 20, 2014
In addition to Beau, nugget noggin has videos on river hunting. He's just a kid (maybe 20) but interesting to watch nonetheless.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the risk of being a buzz kill, you best check if detecting is allowed beforehand.

Much, if not all, of the St. Croix river is designated a National Scenic Waterway and detecting is not allowed. Don't ask me why I know this but lets just say I know someone who was told to cease and desist from detecting in or near said river.

I agree, Baeu's vidios are amazing.
If that's true, it is ridiculous. I'll look into it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about the St. Croix, but here in northeastern Pa, many of the islands on our local rivers were used as farmlands. The rivers were the main source of commerce before the railroads took that away from them. An extensive canal system was established locally, so boats could travel easily up and down the river. I am sure the greatest concentration of people should yield the most finds, but anywhere people traveled would also provide the chance to make a find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread