Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Everyone hates finding pull tabs. But there is one time where I am happy to find one. Can you guess?

Pull tabs were first used in 1962 by Iron City Beer, and this invention was called a Zip Tab. They were made only from 1962-1964. If I am looking for silver coins and I find a Zip Tab, I am in the right area. :)(first two pics)

Pull Tabs or Pop Tops were used from 1965, thru the 70's and 80's, until anti-littering efforts finally had them replaced. (3rd pic)

Statabs replaced pull tabs in the 1990's and are supposed to stay on the can.(4thpic)

Zip Tabs mean 50's and 60's silver coins, and I am happy to find them. ;D

Attachments

• MVC-003E.JPG
    MVC-003E.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 707
  • ziptop beercan.jpg
    ziptop beercan.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 555
  • MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 609
  • MVC-005E.JPG
    MVC-005E.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
gypsyheart said:
The only time I like to find a pull tab is just before I take the ::) first drink.....
;D We have slim picking down here and have to be happy with 60's coins. :D
TreasureTales said:
The one good thing about finding pulltabs is that they indicate the (previous) presence of people. And where there were people, there is bound to be treasure!
Yes, but they often indicate clad dropping people. Find the Zip Tabs and you are in the silver era.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting article..... Here in South Africa, we still find millions of pull tabs, they are a pest unless they are being pulled by me ;D We now use mainly Statabs which are great for the detector.... Problem: How many years will it be before we will no longer detect pulltabs? :'(

God bless
Peter

AxeMan

Mar 10, 2007
Lombard, IL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Bigcypresshunter

Great research on the pull tabs! I like to add my two cents here if you don't mind. They were not "Pull Tabs" but they were use to open cans. It was the Push button can. I think they came out around 1974 and I can remember seeing them on Coors cans. They never caught on (what a shame if they did we wouldn't be digging pull tabs now as we know them and maybe finding more gold) I don't think anyone would find one of these off of a can, unless the can was split open and or the the tab came off. But just in case I'm making this post and maybe someday if someone gets one they will remember reading this post.

Now does anyone know what a "Church Key" was used for? It wasn't anything for Church I can tell you that ;D

Attachments

• aef4_1.jpg
    aef4_1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 308
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes, I remember those push buttons. I dont think I ever found one.

I remember church keys. I dont know why they call them that. I always had a couple in the silverware drawer. We used to call them can openers and I needed one to put oil in my car. :)

Attachments

• churchkey.jpg
    churchkey.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 260
  • churchkeycans.jpg
    churchkeycans.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 260
T

TreasureTales

HAHAHA Axeman, I collect "church keys." I don't know if they got their nickname because the older ones resembled church keys or because the Catholic church could continue to purchase wine during Prohibition.

Another man's ideas: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-chu2.htm

An early bottle opener that lead to the term "church key" perhaps?
bottle-opener.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread