Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Everyone hates finding pull tabs. But there is one time where I am happy to find one. Can you guess?

Pull tabs were first used in 1962 by Iron City Beer, and this invention was called a Zip Tab. They were made only from 1962-1964. If I am looking for silver coins and I find a Zip Tab, I am in the right area. :)(first two pics)

Pull Tabs or Pop Tops were used from 1965, thru the 70's and 80's, until anti-littering efforts finally had them replaced. (3rd pic)

Statabs replaced pull tabs in the 1990's and are supposed to stay on the can.(4thpic)

Zip Tabs mean 50's and 60's silver coins, and I am happy to find them. ;D

Attachments

• MVC-003E.JPG
    MVC-003E.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 707
  • ziptop beercan.jpg
    ziptop beercan.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 555
  • MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 609
  • MVC-005E.JPG
    MVC-005E.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH THANKS! for posting that pic, I have been finding those at the ranch by the school house and had no idea what they were. Too cool, now I'm happy to be finding pull tabs those anyway.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Great research and pics!!!! This helps alot on deciding to all metal or not, to get those older nickels and possibly some old gold rings!!!!!!

Thanks for posting this info.

Dimeman

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
top notch info thanks

an area with those in the ground,I would dig all.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks. I dont find Zip Tops too often. When I find them, they are always bent off to one side.

T

TreasureTales

Very interesting history of the pulltab. I know a couple guys who started collecting the different styles and shapes and made quite nice wall plaques with their collections.

Once in my life I made a conscious effort to find some pulltabs. I needed some washers so the heads of some screws wouldn't continue to pull through the plastic fender shroud of a friend's travel trailer. The screws were pulling through the worn plastic and the fender was flapping in the wind as a result. A few pulltabs were found, used as washers, and the problem was solved. He later sold his trailer, with the pulltabs still in place. It was funny seeing those pesky things serving a second life as useful devices.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Nice pictures of the history of the pulltab BCH

I agree as detector users at the time (BFO users) dug everything and Zip tabs would have surely
been dug in 60's-70's era.

Actually when I started out (1964) pull tabs were just rare. You could dig countless dozens of silver coins in a day and simply not dig one up. You weren't discriminating because with BFOs you dug everything.
The real pain for the BFO users was not pull tabs as there weren't many but tin foil. Small pieces of tin foil sounded just like deep coins.

George

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wonder if foil can be dated? :D

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Iron City Beer was the first to utilize the Zip Top on their cans... advertised as a Snap Top. I was weaned on Iron City growing up in Pittsburgh.

Attachments

• iron city zip top.jpg
    iron city zip top.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 533
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
;D I dont mind if they're all Zips. ;D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
bigcypresshunter said:
Iron City Beer was the first to utilize the Zip Top on their cans... advertised as a Snap Top. I was weaned on Iron City growing up in Pittsburgh.

Oh No. No wonder you have so many health problems. Yep I drank many a bottle in southern Ohio- Not that I liked the taste but it was cheap.

George

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Any time Im digging pull tabs, I know that Im in an area that has not been hunted well.Maybe cherry picked of silver and copper, but not nickel, gold, or brass.

T

TreasureTales

The one good thing about finding pulltabs is that they indicate the (previous) presence of people. And where there were people, there is bound to be treasure!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bakergeol said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Oh No. No wonder you have so many health problems. Yep I drank many a bottle in southern Ohio- Not that I liked the taste but it was cheap.

George
I think it may have helped preserve me. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread