Calibrating a metal detector for certain metal?

StevenEleven

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Is it possible to calibrate metal for a certain metal?

The story: I have fisher f75 special edition. I found a couple of golden coins with it. To my knowledge. Most the treasures in my areas. (The ones worth the trouble) have the same coins in them. Now, is there a way to tweak my detector so I will know when I found a similar coin? For now, it identifies it as zinc. When it's too deep, it switches between zinc and tab. Sorry if it's a silly question. I just realized that there is more coins in the same are. I want to know if there is a way to get optimum performance from my detector.

Another question, is there any way protect my metal detector from electromagnetic fields while working under an electricity pole?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. the coins could be a bit deep

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Is it possible to calibrate metal for a certain metal?

The story: I have fisher f75 special edition. I found a couple of golden coins with it. To my knowledge. Most the treasures in my areas. (The ones worth the trouble) have the same coins in them. Now, is there a way to tweak my detector so I will know when I found a similar coin? For now, it identifies it as zinc. When it's too deep, it switches between zinc and tab. Sorry if it's a silly question. I just realized that there is more coins in the same are. I want to know if there is a way to get optimum performance from my detector.

Another question, is there any way protect my metal detector from electromagnetic fields while working under an electricity pole?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. the coins could be a bit deep

You can notch out everything but the range you do not want to hear but tabs=gold there is no getting around that.
Lowering sensitivity will help with EMI or changing filters if your machine is so equipped.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tweak your machine to only pick up targets of similar conductivity. That won't narrow it down to a specific metal but will get you closer to your goal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still trying to get over you finding "a couple of golden coins" :notworthy: Can you post photos?! Congratulations!!!

OP
OP
S

StevenEleven

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone

Thanks guys. You've been very helpful. I appreciate it. The findings are my friend's, truth be told. I'll make him take pictures and post it for you. You deserve it. As for your answers, singling out the sought after range seems to be a great idea. He should be digging the whole place up. The problem seems to be that the land owner isn't back in town yet. Waiting never been harder. :hello2:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you send in your F75 for the free software upgrade? It addresses the EMI problem and makes it a lot quieter in those areas.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember... the more you cal/discrim... the less you find... in ALL areas of metals.
The best calibration you can ever do in metal detecting is... calibration of your ears.
There is no "just find gold" mode...
and I am sure I am not alone when I say "I wish".

Although it would be a great new feature on any make or model of new detectors coming out.
I would be first in line to buy one. heh

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you can calibrate a detector for a specific item. But you'd have to crack the case and play with the potentiometers.

From the controls you can notch out certain ranges.

Better is to put it in all metal or discriminate at a low level and keep your eye on the display and only dig the range you know your target is in.

I made up a chart of what I commonly find so I could notch. But as it turns out in practice I don't use any notch at all. I just know when I get a hit to "X" the area and decise case-by-case what looks attractive enough to dig.

F75 TDI Scale.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you can calibrate a detector for a specific item. But you'd have to crack the case and play with the potentiometers.

From the controls you can notch out certain ranges.

Better is to put it in all metal or discriminate at a low level and keep your eye on the display and only dig the range you know your target is in.

I made up a chart of what I commonly find so I could notch. But as it turns out in practice I don't use any notch at all. I just know when I get a hit to "X" the area and decise case-by-case what looks attractive enough to dig.

View attachment 1100953

Charlie ... do you think that this has improved "yield" and productivity to the point of "worth it to do" ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Worth to do it"

Which? The chart or the method of setting discrimination low and deciding based on each target's response.

Yes, the chart was worth doing because it taught me a lot about my detector when I was learning it. i dug everything and will have days I still do. My original intention was to see where I could notch (a novelty to me as my prior detectors did not have a notch ability). But in the past few years I only set masks and notches if I am in an extremely trashy picnic area with little hopes for older coins.

Is it worth anything to someone else, especially if they have another make/model? Maybe not so much. But it does show the relative signal of commonly encountered coins and I keep adding to it as I find additional coins or gather more data.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread