Metal Detector Mega Dealers

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
It can be so tough. We're so passionate about what we do ..... its all we think about. So finally you have cash in hand and drive to your closest place available to buy a quality machine in person. In many cases this could be quite a drive.

You get inside and look at a wall of machines. Some costing not so much and others easily exceeding $1,000.00 +

You know what you WANT, what you can afford and what you plan on doing with it, but you may not be entirely sure what you NEED.

This is where it goes sour....

Don't tell me what your #1 seller is ....... I don't care, what's the best machine for what I am doing? I have encountered this in person on the sales and over the phone as well. I cringe when a salesperson tells me more than once how light it is, or how deep it can find a quarter.

I just wish these places would just hire some people that actually detected. I know that most do, but seriously, should someone who does not metal detect be helping someone select a machine?

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Preach Brother! :headbang:

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Employees that know something typically do not work for $8.00 an hour.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the sales people are probably taught certain lines to impress customers no matter where you go. I always laugh when buying electronic devices when the salesman tries to sell me an extra warranty. I always reply "why would I need that, are you selling me a piece of junk or something that is prone to failure??"

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I especially have fun when I walk into a big sporting goods store and look at the lower level detectors that are branded by the chain. When a kid comes over and starts to tell me about how good the machine is and how deep it will detect, etc. I just listen then, depending on my mood, either laugh and walk away or calmly tear apart everything he said. Hey old folks have to have fun!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Main problem is they don't sell you what you need, they sell you what they need to sell. If they have a bigger profit on one machine over another don't doubt they will sell you what makes them more money.
I also have learnt that to know what you need there is no other way than test it for yourself. In my case I had to buy a v3i, because it was "the best" for many, to realize that it was not the best for me. I was actually much happier with the mxt which I sold to force myself to use the v3i, and now, after selling it as well, I have a m6 on the way.

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why it is nice to belong to a site like this one I know their are a lot of people that don't know about it but it's nice when you do because their are a lot of people with knowledge on this site to help you like Terry and THTx

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We take in a lot of trades from people that were told what to buy from a big Mega retailer. We do our best to find out what type of hunting you plan to do, areas you plan to hunt , and what your budget is. I do point out the learning required on the higher end machines. I guess that's why we call ourselves an enthusiast first and a dealer second!

Wayne

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got my second detector I had practically memorized the catalog, so I named off three machines I wanted to see. When the sales guy explained the last one which was top of the line, it had all the features the first one had plus a few I would probably not use, so I said to him "these two do the same thing this one has more bells and whistles?" When he answered yes I said ok then I want the M6, bells and whistles confuse me.
I love my M6!

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
When I got my second detector I had practically memorized the catalog, so I named off three machines I wanted to see. When the sales guy explained the last one which was top of the line, it had all the features the first one had plus a few I would probably not use, so I said to him "these two do the same thing this one has more bells and whistles?" When he answered yes I said ok then I want the M6, bells and whistles confuse me.
I love my M6!

I'm sure you're aware that I am probably the biggest M6 supporter out there. Its just a light, simple and extremely effective machine. I also just bought an MXT Pro with the 12" coil...........its my back up unit LOL

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's good to keep in mind that no matter how many bells and whistles, all any detector does, really, is alert the user that there's metal under the coil.
luvsdux

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Metal Detecting Stuff stated, the first word out of the mouth of a salesman should be what is your budget. These should be followed by questions asking where you plan to hunt and what you plan to hunt for. The guy that sold me my first detector over 15 years ago asked me all these questions and helped me choose my detector that best suited those needs and my budget. He did good and that first detector was a Garrett GTAX 450. I did really well with that detector. Unfortunately he has passed away and his daughter is now just a distributor and not a dealer.

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
If I could quote Kenneth Briggs "it's all a matter of putting the coil over the target" 90% of the machines made out there are good enough for anyone to start enjoying the worlds greatest hobby. The key is to research research and research. There are so many resources out there like YouTube etc, that you can get a pretty good Look at any machine that may be of interest to you.

Personally I am thrilled when I nail a pull tab at 11" !!!!!

It means I'm tuned to my machine and if that had been a gold ring, it would have been mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread