Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Keep in mind that it need not specifically have to say: "metal detecting allowed ", in order to be allowed . In other words: silence on the subject (ie.: not DIS-allowed ), is therefore. ... doh ... not disallowed . ;)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because a country allows metal detecting in some form, doesn't mean it's allowed EVERYWHERE in the country. Just like our country, there are sensitive spots where detecting is not allowed. It would be interesting to hear from our worldwide friends as to what problems there might be in their particular area. Local knowledge is always welcome so please give us your experience!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would research country and area myself if I was going to detect, there is no way I would rely on a post on any forum as to if it is legal or not in a foreign country?

No desire to be a guest of a foreign jail, but that is just me .....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I would research country and area myself if I was going to detect, there is no way I would rely on a post on any forum as to if it is legal or not in a foreign country? No desire to be a guest of a foreign jail, but that is just me ....
Or, CONVERSELY: not only might someone be wrong when saying "it's legal", but: You might also hear someone on a forum (or some border consulate, etc..) say: ABSOLUTELY NOT. Yet in reality, they are mistaken. Or that their admonition only applies to monuments or whatever. For example: I have no doubt that if a foreigner were getting read to vacation here in the USA, and if he were to ask enough bureaucrats and archies here: "Can I metal detect in the USA?", he might find someone(s) to tell him "no" . Because they're couching it in terms of ARPA, or mel fisher legal hassles, or lost & found laws, blah blah blah.

I have seen persons on forums say various countries are "off-limits", yet .... when you look closely at what they're citing, it's not necessarily saying that. Or doesn't apply to private land with permission, etc... And that there's hobbyists in that country (presumably doing it legally), etc...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to do my own research......

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt in the United States all the time and also Canada ……… So i think we all know it is legal in these 2 ….. So i really do not worry about countries that i do not plan to hunt in .. Why worry about if i am allowed to hunt some were i am not going ????

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I hunt in the United States all the time and also Canada ……… So i think we all know it is legal in these 2 ….. So i really do not worry about countries that i do not plan to hunt in .. Why worry about if i am allowed to hunt some were i am not going ????

ah keppy, you're no fun! haha :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ah keppy, you're no fun! haha :laughing7:
Well you know if i am not going to France why worry about if i can hunt there or not . Now if i was going to France all i have to do is contact some one on Tnet here from France and talk to them about it . Or there is something else i do if i want to find information about things in a different country .. Lets say UK or france or any country.I go to bay's site for that country and most sellers will give me the information i want...:occasion14:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
"Lets have the countries in question verify legality". What? I dont understand your question in question. I dont see a question mark. The only question mark I see is mine after What? And, WTF?

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

gdfgdfg.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No insults,.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...... Lets have the countries in question verify legality ......

Twoguns, regarding the above quote from you: Notice that Keppy brings up an interesting point, of how he'd go about "determining legality", if he were about to go to a foreign country: he would go talk to hunters in that country (you can find Tnet members, or detector dealers, other countries, right?). And if those local hunters say "sure no problem", then so-be-it.

But I notice in your above quote that you want to "have the countries in question verify legality". Ok, think long and hard about this. I know it sounds wonderful to not take just "any old Joe's" information, right? I mean, gee, what if that person, and all the md'rs in that club or country are ... uh .... simply breaking the law? It's certainly possible to be hunting a spot, with no problem for years, and even having gotten a "yes" from someone years ago, but that you still might ...... if you looked long enough and hard enough, find *SOME* law that ...... given enough morphing .... could be made to apply. For example let's say Keppy got locals that told him "sure, no problem, we hunt till we're blue in the face and have never had a problem". But for two-guns, he wants to make sure, and have the "country themselves" confirm this information, right? So you, or someone on the net, goes to various desk-bound bureaucrat's in the federal capitol there. This "pressing question" gets passed back and forth between various desks (one of which will no doubt be the archie's desk). Eventually, someone morphs cultural heritage verbage, antiquities things, and disturbing earthworms verbage, and PRESTO: they tell you "no". So you go on to the net, post this new-found disturbing information, which then gets linked to other websites. Afterall, it's a newly created up-to-date compendium of where it's legal to hunt. And then gee, we can all breath a sigh of relief knowing there's ANOTHER place you CAN'T hunt.

Thus no, do not ask silly questions of bored bureaucrats. If locals there say "sure, no problem", then ...... good enough.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would research country and area myself if I was going to detect, there is no way I would rely on a post on any forum as to if it is legal or not in a foreign country? No desire to be a guest of a foreign jail, but that is just me ..... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
I figure asking a local would be a good part of my research. Unless you speak the language fluently, how are you going to look up the laws in that country? Hire a lawyer? Since I don't speak Russian, German, French, or a myriad of other languages to a level of legal understanding, it seems to me that someone who detects there would be a valuable source of info. Now, if they bring up a roadblock or gray area that needs investigating further, sure, I'll TRY to check the actual law (or maybe an English translation of it) but I figure if someone's been hunting an area for a while, they'll know what they can get away with and what they can't. Sure, they can lie, be totally oblivious to the law, or just lucky, but If you get several people giving you input, the truth will likely come out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use Google and find the answer most times, guarantee I wouldn't be first person to ask....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I figure asking a local would be a good part of my research. Unless you speak the language fluently, how are you going to look up the laws in that country? Hire a lawyer? Since I don't speak Russian, German, French, or a myriad of other languages to a level of legal understanding, it seems to me that someone who detects there would be a valuable source of info. .
..I have been in touch with people on Ebay from other countries for information … And i have always got good information from them …AND for some reason even though i do not understand or speak there language …For some reason we communicated very well and understood each other…….. And i talk to them about a lot more things than buying and selling … And they seem to enjoy talking to me and of course me to them….

prairie digger

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2013
arkansas
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO /GARRETT ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer Ex/Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are leaving on a cruise out of New Orleans and I asked a question on this forum about detecting in other countries and I got a reply that your could detect in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan but not Belize. I got excited to say the least and planned on detecting but when inquiring about taking the detectors through Customs the Port Security won't allow customers to carry metal detectors aboard the ship. Needless to say the beaches are safe, from me at least.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard that one. Is that one particular cruise line or port? Which bureaucratic knucklehead did you ask? Any reason given?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread