Training seminars in metal detecting, prospecting, and our hobby

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of us simply repeat mistakes and take credit for years of experience...whether motorcycling, metal detecting, or any endeavor. In the world of self defense, a visit to Tactical Response training in TN or Front Sight in Nevada will cut through the BS and ensure that our practice includes effective and efficient techniques that, with lots of practice, will become habitual and automatic.

What if Karl von Mueller had sponsored training weekends with the top metal detecting/treasure hunters at that time in Segundo, CO? Not just get-togethers and competitive coin hunting, but actual seminars, half lecture/discussion and the remainder in the field. Beginner through professional levels could be available, depending on the demand. The class would simply have a minimum number of registrants for the seminar to occur. Karl didn't have the advantage of the internet to spread the message, but the thousands of readers of the National Prospector's Gazette and his wonderful TH Manuals would have been a rich mine of enthusiasts.

Google brought up a very interesting training class in Australia: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.654611027891755.1073741832.212723918747137&type=3 Garrett has a training class for security uses of their specialized equipment, but not for hobbyists. I would like to see a non-brand specific class presented by the top detectorists/THunters available, and would be willing to travel to participate in such a class here in the U.S. Enough repeating the same errors and under utilizing our expensive high tech equipment!

quote-he-makes-himself-ridiculous-who-is-for-ever-repeating-the-same-mistake-horace-372088.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't see the purpose for the largest percentage of detectorists out there. As mentioned, this hobby is really not that involved. If I continue to repeat the same mistakes over and over again, I don't know what they are. Perhaps I'm blissfully ignorant but I believe that if you go through the manual for your particular machine and spend a few hours swinging and practicing, with manual in hand if necessary, you will find that it boils down to, find a target and dig a target. The subtle nuances of signal strength and pitch that combine to determine what that target may be prior to digging will come with just a few hours of recovering targets. But hey, what do I know, if you combine the folks that said yes with the ones that said maybe it's something like 70%. There will always be a percentage that will benefit from such endeavors but I think that if the manufacturers thought it would benefit the hobby they would be doing this already and making money at it along the way.

Last edited:

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess he changed his mind about the hobby. Lol

No, I wouldn't mess up a nice landscape, but if it's not nice I'll dig 4 feet! Besides I'm usually in the woods or on the beach. And I was talking about training sessions for how to get permissions. Not necessarily myself.....for others talking about metal detecting..

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't see the purpose for the largest percentage of detectorists out there. As mentioned, this hobby is really not that involved. If I continue to repeat the same mistakes over and over again, I don't know what they are. Perhaps I'm blissfully ignorant but I believe that if you go through the manual for your particular machine and spend a few hours swinging and practicing, with manual in hand if necessary, you will find that it boils down to, find a target and dig a target. The subtle nuances of signal strength and pitch that combine to determine what that target may be prior to digging will come with just a few hours of recovering targets. But hey, what do I know, if you combine the folks that said yes with the ones that said maybe it's something like 70%. There will always be a percentage that will benefit from such endeavors but I think that if the manufacturers thought it would benefit the hobby they would be doing this already and making money at it along the way.

Agreed!

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess he changed his mind about the hobby. Lol

If you seen the Capitol Letters in my post "soliciting" I am against this... And I guarantee nobody would get permission on my customers properties... I have detected a few yards, friends that don't take very good care of their lawns.

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you seen the Capitol Letters in my post "soliciting" I am against this... And I guarantee nobody would get permission on my customers properties... I have detected a few yards, friends that don't take very good care of their lawns.

The hobby is metal detecting, which I have a great passion for.. I do not have a great passion for soliciting to dig people's properties that's all.. There are plenty of other places to detect besides other peoples properties. That's all I meant. In fact I have been detecting most of the winter on the beaches. But I'd rather be in the woods!

I was being sarcastic about training for soliciting permissions...

Don Chiasson

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Officially unsubscribe from this thread. No need to comment on training.. Only Stupid people need training to metal detect. Read your book, or read online!

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Officially unsubscribe from this thread. No need to comment on training.. Only Stupid people need training to metal detect. Read your book, or read online!

Everyone has different ways of learning how to do something! The only stupid ones are the ones that don't realize everyone learns differently. You like putting down people who don't learn the same way as you do?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ughhh. It is not rocket science. That is what forums and friends are for. I can not imagine anyone taking metal detecting lessons. People want to make it more complicated than it is. Manufactures think complicated equates to better. Not so. Good luck out there! View attachment 959762

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a true statement even children know how to detect ……… I would not call them stupid though … but i might call them real stupid……..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets be nice and not start calling each other names :occasion14:. If you can get on line and navigate a forum like T-Net you can dig some targets. Research and location is the hard part imho.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ughhh. It is not rocket science. That is what forums and friends are for. I can not imagine anyone taking metal detecting lessons. People want to make it more complicated than it is. Manufactures think complicated equates to better. Not so. Good luck out there! View attachment 959762

I find it disappointing that a moderator posted "I can not imagine anyone taking metal detecting lessons".

At least to this forum member, this indicates a conscious ignoring of this thread's title that has already been re-stated in subsequent posts: Training seminars in metal detecting, prospecting, and our hobby. Not "metal detector lessons", or limited even to metal detector mastery. There are many of us that value advanced knowledge and training in just about any endeavor we enjoy. We are not stupid, slow, or need remedial training but are aware that it is too easy to repeat the same "sweep and beep" at the same genre of locations thereby ignoring effective research of, for example, potentially rich minerals, meteorites, and resources.

Take a look at the poll....3 of 4 responding members indicate at least an interest in the areas suggested by the thread.

This thread has been worthwhile as it has highlighted the multiplicity of attitudes of Forum members. We are certainly a diverse group and many of us are satisfied with our current state of skills and knowledge and others want to go a bit deeper in our understanding and efficacy.

We can agree to disagree!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it disappointing that a moderator posted "I can not imagine anyone taking metal detecting lessons".

At least to this forum member, this indicates a conscious ignoring of this thread's title that has already been re-stated in subsequent posts: Training seminars in metal detecting, prospecting, and our hobby

There are many of us that value advanced knowledge and training in just about any endeavor we enjoy. We are not stupid, slow, or need remedial training but are aware that it is too easy to repeat the same "sweep and beep" at the same genre of locations thereby ignoring effective research of potentially rich minerals, meteorites, and resources.

We "don't know what we don't know".

Mods are also members and are entitled to their opinions.

If someone asked I would tell them they don't need to take lessons in metal detecting, especially if there are any costs involved.

There is more knowledge available on the net than you will ever get out of a seminar, I have been to many seminars held at metal detecting events and Minelab events and while I enjoyed them all, I would not have gotten my money's worth if there had been costs involved in attending the seminars.

Gold mining, or panning may be a different story but title of thread starts with Metal Detecting.....

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For a club to have an annual pick-nic / metal detecting seminar is a great way for a club to replenish its membership roster every year with new blood. Here locally we were successful with that concept for many years. The clinic was held at a members house with a big back yard and good parking. Why at a members house instead of a park ? Because the club built an incredible test plot / bed / garden at the members house. Clubs must have some in flow of members or they will die off and you will have the same old members for 25 years and nobody new. Make flyers , get door prizes and have a picnic / seminar for your club. Its WIN WIN !

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true, there's a lot of info out there people just have to look & want it, its all to different spots,detectors,coils,swing speeds,options on how many machines ages of machines theres to much to discuss or even try to be discussed. The one thing I wonder who is to say the teacher teaching the class is even qualified, what makes them qualified & how they so what they do is the right way. I bet if each person had let's say a class or what not theres gonna be people that definetly disagree on how its being taught, just like the tv shows some think there fine the people know what there doin, then there are others that say they don't know anything at all & what there doin is wrong so who is to say said person is a qualified person to teach even if they have been detecting for 10-20 years soon as u go public there gonna be thrown to the dogs might have found many great things but there will be people who get mad or disagree on how its beeing done

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a club to have an annual pick-nic / metal detecting seminar is a great way for a club to replenish its membership roster every year with new blood. Here locally we were successful with that concept for many years. The clinic was held at a members house with a big back yard and good parking. Why at a members house instead of a park ? Because the club built an incredible test plot / bed / garden at the members house. Clubs must have some in flow of members or they will die off and you will have the same old members for 25 years and nobody new. Make flyers , get door prizes and have a picnic / seminar for your club. Its WIN WIN !

Nothing wrong with this at all. Ones I attended were at organized hunts and Minelab events and seminars were free. ..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it disappointing that a moderator posted "I can not imagine anyone taking metal detecting lessons". At least to this forum member, this indicates a conscious ignoring of this thread's title that has already been re-stated in subsequent posts: Training seminars in metal detecting, prospecting, and our hobby There are many of us that value advanced knowledge and training in just about any endeavor we enjoy. We are not stupid, slow, or need remedial training but are aware that it is too easy to repeat the same "sweep and beep" at the same genre of locations thereby ignoring effective research of, for example, potentially rich minerals, meteorites, and resources. We "don't know what we don't know".
Did you just want opinions just from certain people or just the ones that agree with you? If you are so certain that it should be taught, why ask at all?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you just want opinions just from certain people or just the ones that agree with you? If you are so certain that it should be taught, why ask at all?

Just a thread to allow posting of various perspectives on the desire to go a bit deeper in our hobby.

We can disagree without being disagreeable, I hope!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it disappointing that a moderator posted "I can not imagine anyone taking metal detecting lessons". At least to this forum member, this indicates a conscious ignoring of this thread's title that has already been re-stated in subsequent posts: Training seminars in metal detecting, prospecting, and our hobby. Not "metal detector lessons", or limited even to metal detector mastery. There are many of us that value advanced knowledge and training in just about any endeavor we enjoy. We are not stupid, slow, or need remedial training but are aware that it is too easy to repeat the same "sweep and beep" at the same genre of locations thereby ignoring effective research of, for example, potentially rich minerals, meteorites, and resources. Take a look at the poll....3 of 4 responding members indicate at least an interest in the areas suggested by the thread. This thread has been worthwhile as it has highlighted the multiplicity of attitudes of Forum members. We are certainly a diverse group and many of us are satisfied with our current state of skills and knowledge and others want to go a bit deeper in our understanding and efficacy. We can agree to disagree!

Sorry if I offended you. This is the metal detecting section of the forum. I was replying to your poll title " Would you be interested in treasure/metal detecting training? My answer was no. Your poll title is one thing and then your thread title is another . I stand by my answer to your Poll though. I have let children use my detectors to hunt with me and they were digging targets in no time. Now I imagine if I bought GPR I would take a class because of the investment?

Check out the mining section here and you will see lots of questions answered for beginners as well as in this section. I think only at clubs where everyone already metal detects or is just learning would you have enough people to give or take lessons.

I am constantly take continuing education classes now to retain certain licenses so understand one wanting to better themselves with delving deeper. But as far your title implies. No

My guess is we all have been schooled at one time or another by a metal detecting partner. There are people on here I would enjoy hunting with and am sure I would learn something.There are much better treasure hunters than I.
Good thread but the poll seems to be different than the thread.
HH
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread