Training seminars in metal detecting, prospecting, and our hobby

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of us simply repeat mistakes and take credit for years of experience...whether motorcycling, metal detecting, or any endeavor. In the world of self defense, a visit to Tactical Response training in TN or Front Sight in Nevada will cut through the BS and ensure that our practice includes effective and efficient techniques that, with lots of practice, will become habitual and automatic.

What if Karl von Mueller had sponsored training weekends with the top metal detecting/treasure hunters at that time in Segundo, CO? Not just get-togethers and competitive coin hunting, but actual seminars, half lecture/discussion and the remainder in the field. Beginner through professional levels could be available, depending on the demand. The class would simply have a minimum number of registrants for the seminar to occur. Karl didn't have the advantage of the internet to spread the message, but the thousands of readers of the National Prospector's Gazette and his wonderful TH Manuals would have been a rich mine of enthusiasts.

Google brought up a very interesting training class in Australia: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.654611027891755.1073741832.212723918747137&type=3 Garrett has a training class for security uses of their specialized equipment, but not for hobbyists. I would like to see a non-brand specific class presented by the top detectorists/THunters available, and would be willing to travel to participate in such a class here in the U.S. Enough repeating the same errors and under utilizing our expensive high tech equipment!

quote-he-makes-himself-ridiculous-who-is-for-ever-repeating-the-same-mistake-horace-372088.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is not attacking he is just sad. We are all entitled to our opinions and we can disagree as long as we stay civil. Its all good.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting learning experience:

Gold Prospecting e-News, Issue #031 - GarrettATX

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][h=2]Metal Detector and Gold Prospecting Training Seminars - Vacancies[/h] Gold Prospecting Seminar Vacancies 3 4 and 5 May in Cue For various reasons we have had some cancellations for the Seminar on 3,4 and 5 May seminar in Cue.
If you are interested please reply email to this newsletter and we will send you details and send an invoice.
Our Gold Prospecting and Metal Detecting Seminars will answer the following questions for you;

• Where can I find Gold in WA?
  • What sort of Geology and rocks should I be looking for that indicate gold could be present?
  • Where am I legally allowed to go Metal Detecting in WA?
  • How to Legally Access around 46% of ALL the already Pegged, Prospective Land in WA?
  • What are The best metal detectors and Equipment to use to get ALL the gold.
  • how to used the Minelab 4500 and 5000 metal detectors
  • How do I set up and use GEOMAP on my computer with freely available Geological and TOPO Maps to easily research prospective Gold Locations.
  • How do I set up GEOMAP with a computer and GPS so I know EXACTLY where I am, anytime in relation to Tenements and prospective gold locations. ....and, setting Geomap up NOW, RIGHT NOW and using it during the seminar and Field trip Detecting part of the seminar with moving maps to show you exactly where you are.

[h=2]Also, New in 2014 - A Full Extra Day of Training and Detecting in the Goldfields[/h] We will answer all of those questions for you, and Now in 2014 we offer an Additional Day at the Seminar as part of the training so you can go out and try your hand at finding some gold while we test your metal detecting technique."

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Chirper! I retired at the end of last season, after 10-years of teaching gold prospecting and nugget- and meteorite- shooting "metal detecting" to thousands of customers. I think personal instruction from an expert can help ANY metal detectorist up their game far better than reading a manual or reading tips and tricks in a forum. I have been trained on many different brands and models of metal detectors by people that have thousands of hours of experience using them in the field. You can't get that from a manual or a forum. Some say it is not rocket science, but that applies to fishing, driving, skiing, boating, flying, and any number of other hobbies. If you want to be better than most, you always strive to learn more any way you can. When you already know everything you need to know, or that nobody can teach you anything new, you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TO a degree I can agree with you Chirper and Terry. New hunters drastically need guidance especially on: the treasure hunters Code of ethics and the proper use of digging tools and targeting, those are the areas that have caused this hobby more damage than anything else.

SO for the protection of the hobby, Yes new hunters need a class, perhaps if there were such a thing, many places off limits to us now would still be open, like they were 20-30 years ago.

Would I attend a class, yes if it was on "Nugget shooting in the desert, or out west" or "Prospecting", as I know nothing about them, but for what I do, relic and beach hunting, no.
I am not trying to sound conceited or a know it all, I just do not need help in those two fields. I have learned a lot in 40+ years of hunting, tricks not found in books, lessons learned the hard way, because when I learned there were no forums one could turn to.

We are in the digital age, if people cannot find an answer in less than a minute and in one brief paragraph, PFFFFFTTTTT its a waste of time and they stop trying.>> This is my personnel opinion and not meant to insult anyone.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.

training-epiphany.png

Not connected with the above ad, TheSleeper posted "I have learned a lot in 40+ years of hunting, tricks not found in books, lessons learned the hard way, because when I learned there were no forums one could turn to."

That really is the point of this thread. Experienced operators have much experience and knowledge that is NOT quickly or easily acquired, except by long and hard experience. Instruction by these operators would save much time and energy and make the prospective treasure hunter more likely to be successful.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread