Need some advise on spending my tax return...

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My taxes are files and just waiting for that return to hit the bank! I am looking for a new primary MD to start my arsenal. I already have a Fisher F5, but really haven't mastered it. I figure why not get the upgrade out of the way now and learn a more advanced machine instead of putting more effort into using the F5 and then upgrading later... lets just say all of you and your finds are making me itch to spend some $$$... Until the ground thaws and all my Honey-Do's are done, I am researching which one to buy....My choices are the AT-Pro, AT-gold, OR do I shoot for the moon and pick up the E-Trac????

So first question for all you you with experience with the AT lines, which does everyone prefer? The pro or gold? Im looking basically at relics and coins here in Nebraska and won't get into water much, if at all.

Secondly, do I just go for broke with the E-Trac and just be done with any upgrades in the future. From what I have read, these are the cat's meow....the bee's knees..ect.

Any help would be most appreciated! !!

Upvote 0

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beepin Husker, a lot depends on what you are searching for. The Garrett AT Gold is more sensitive to sub gram gold and high conductors. The AT Pro is great for coins and jewelry. The Etrac will have more depth and work better in iron, but it requires a slower swing to process all the information. The Etrac will excel in mineralized soil, but it does have a learning curve. Any of the three will give you a little more depth than the F5. I've used all four and each has it's place for the right situation.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beepin H take a look at this site. Truth about Metal Detecting & Treasure Hunting - All Info!
Just found it from a link in another post and I have not had much time to scratch the surface of the data on it. Check out the reviews on all the current machines.. An educated consumer is a smart consumer.. Good luck!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever detector you get, make sure you become very proficient with it, because it's the operator that makes the difference.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was faced with either upgrading a Tesoro or just getting a better detector about a year ago. I went ahead and purchased the AT Pro because I knew that any money that I spent on the Tesoro would be just wasted money and that I would buy another detector anyway. With this thought, my advice would be to determine what you will want in the future and buy the best detector for the money up front instead of spending even MORE money by upgrading a detector that will be set to the side anyway in the future. The AT Pro is a good detector for the money and I will occasionally recommend it to someone, but after 8 months of use, I decided to get the CTX 3030.

Right now, I have two primary detectors that i use and another for back-up/nugget shooting. The other two detectors I have are mainly carried in the situation that I find someone who wants to detect with me or for my 2 children. I have five detectors total and any money is spent to upgrade the ones that I intend to keep for many years. Each detector has their uses and I don't intend to change anything for a long time.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stocks and bonds...

Attachments

• image-407631813.jpg
    image-407631813.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
Beepin Husker

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beepin H take a look at this site. Truth about Metal Detecting & Treasure Hunting - All Info! Just found it from a link in another post and I have not had much time to scratch the surface of the data on it. Check out the reviews on all the current machines.. An educated consumer is a smart consumer.. Good luck!
thanks for that link airscapes! Looked thru it quickly and it looks very detailed and a well laid out site...I think this will be my how-to site.....but you all are my Go-To folks! :-)

OP
OP
Beepin Husker

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was faced with either upgrading a Tesoro or just getting a better detector about a year ago. I went ahead and purchased the AT Pro because I knew that any money that I spent on the Tesoro would be just wasted money and that I would buy another detector anyway. With this thought, my advice would be to determine what you will want in the future and buy the best detector for the money up front instead of spending even MORE money by upgrading a detector that will be set to the side anyway in the future. The AT Pro is a good detector for the money and I will occasionally recommend it to someone, but after 8 months of use, I decided to get the CTX 3030. Right now, I have two primary detectors that i use and another for back-up/nugget shooting. The other two detectors I have are mainly carried in the situation that I find someone who wants to detect with me or for my 2 children. I have five detectors total and any money is spent to upgrade the ones that I intend to keep for many years. Each detector has their uses and I don't intend to change anything for a long time.
I'm with ya pointman! If I'm spending this kind of money for a nice primary detector, I want to do it once and be done.... Then I can start learning the machine now and get better with it with time and practice (E Trac) vs getting something nice now just to get it (AT Pro) and then wanting to go to the next level later... I can't hang with the CTX, maybe after the kids have left the nest and have successful jobs and can support themselves :-)...that'll be awhile as my youngest is 6.....that's why I'm eyeballing that E Trac.... Just need a little pursuasion from y'all before dropping that kind of coin...

jvav

Mar 11, 2013
Garwin IA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Spectrum XLT, AT-Pro, Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and use the etrac way more. I keep the at pro as a back up or if I wanna go in the water. If I had to choose one the etrac is it. I bought mine used with a sunray pointer for pretty reasonable.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you couldn't be proficient with a simple beep machine... how can ya master the beast, which ever ya choose? Dumpin more money in a machine doesn't make sense if you you don't know how to hunt and don't have a good place to do it.

jvav

Mar 11, 2013
Garwin IA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have read it different than I did! He said he hasn't mastered his fisher not that he's not proficient with it he's looking to upgrade and wants advise on his next machine and trusts our opinion.

OP
OP
Beepin Husker

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have read it different than I did! He said he hasn't mastered his fisher not that he's not proficient with it he's looking to upgrade and wants advise on his next machine and trusts our opinion.
you read this perfectly jvav! Just needing some feedback on which machine I should go with as a novice -for now ;-) - and which one I should start learning as this will be the one I hunt with for a LONG time...

What do ya think of throwing a NEL coil on the AT Pro and calling it good?

jvav

Mar 11, 2013
Garwin IA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never tried that combo so have no opinion on it but if you go with the AT pro I heard the 5x8 DD is great and was thinking of getting one. But think I may go with a coiltek platapus for my etrac.

jvav

Mar 11, 2013
Garwin IA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought is if you are gonna buy an at-pro with an extra coil you are lookin at 750 or so for new you can find a good deal on an etrac for a little more. Where at in NE are you?

Smoker

Greenie
Feb 28, 2014
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pointman......The CTX 3030 is one on my list.....so how do you like the unit and was it a good investment all around.....Rascus

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread