voice your opinion...........

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Here is my question and everyone's opinions are important.

Is it possible for someone to successfully hunt the beach, without a machine made specifically for beach use? In other words, could an average detecting enthusiast take a proven major brand land machine ( Fisher F 70, Garrett AT Pro, Whites MXT, Teknetics T2 etc ) and come hone with pirate coins, jewelry and other precious scottish metals, or will you only find anything good if you have a ( Fisher CZ 21, Minelab Excalibur, Whites Beach master PI, Tesoro Sand Shark etc )

There is a reason I ask and will give my story later.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro good for depth of 10 feet and is waterproof. But yes people take non water proof units all the time. Just stay out of water with them and don't dump sand on them

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my question and everyone's opinions are important.

Is it possible for someone to successfully hunt the beach, without a machine made specifically for beach use? In other words, could an average detecting enthusiast take a proven major brand land machine ( Fisher F 70, Garrett AT Pro, Whites MXT, Teknetics T2 etc ) and come hone with pirate coins, jewelry and other precious scottish metals, or will you only find anything good if you have a ( Fisher CZ 21, Minelab Excalibur, Whites Beach master PI, Tesoro Sand Shark etc )

There is a reason I ask and will give my story later.

In the dry sand no problem, in the wet sand they will be constantly falsing because they see salt minerals as metal everywhere.

You would have to turn your sensitivity way down to cut down on the false signals and they well still false. False signals means you would be digging signals (targets) that aren't there.

Also you would have to cover controls up to protect from the salt in the air. ..

Answer is yes they can be used but not very effectively.....If you go to beach once a year then go for it, if beach hunting often get a good beach detector..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right on being able to hunt the dry sand with any land unit. As he said it is the wet sand that'll give you trouble. Fresh water beaches are no problem in the wet or dry. Go for it and use a long handled scoop to save the back. Beachmaster.JPG The one with screens are great for sifting the dry sand.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything is "possible." The real question is it "probable?" Any single frequency detector can be a winner in the dry sand. In the wet sand, unless it is big and shallow, you'll need multi-frequency or pulse induction.

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
OK - Here are my answers.

1. I am posting this on multiple forums because they all have readers who are capable of answering this question.

2. The other day at the beach I met with up with 2 other guys detecting. You could tell everybody have been around a bit. They were both carrying Minelab Ecaliburs and I had my Whites MXT Pro with the 12" 300 coil. Of course the conversation was metal detecting and we were having a great time until one of the guys commented that I am "Completely wasting my time" on the beach with my unit.

OK - At low tide and in the wet sand, I am sure that a Minelab would definitely outperform it. In dry sand, I am not so sure, but to say that I am wasting my time? Seriously I live on Florida's Space Coast......

I the years that I used to detect here 2000-2004 and this last year 2013, I have found more stuff than you would believe ! As far as the dry sand ( towel line ) and moist sand there is plenty to be found. The wet sand ...... well I don't have the capabilities of people with other machines, but with the proper use and RESEARCH, you are actually at an advantage. Now realistically, I can only get 6-8 inches MAX in wet sand, but when I start nailing sinkers in a section of the beach that is slightly lower than the rest, than I know Gold is around, and I have found plenty of that too.......

It's just being familiar with your beaches. I know them all and where their low spots are. I know where things tend to settle and gather. I know to work that area around the lounger and umbrella rentals. I look for imprints of coolers in the sand because that indicates that people were there.......It's a SCIENCE.

I one day, forgot my detector ( no kidding ) and worked the wet send in a bout a foot of water with a mesh dry sand scoop ....... I found $2.85 and a Gold ring !!!!!

You can get a $2,000.00 plus detector, but you have to understand the beach and how it works. I saw some tourist yesterday checking seaweed for reales with his CTX 3030 and I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was probably the metal eyelets on his sneakers were making his machine false LOL.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still don't understand why you posted your question. Everyone who replied told you that you can hunt with single freq detector if you had too, but it is not the best choice for saltwater....

Can you bass fish with a cane pole? Answer is yes but it isn't the best choice or most productive.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think any medal detectors would work just the same on a beach.but for a machine that is not beach made .I would keep the machines box covered with some kind of plastic,Zip lock bags and tape work well to cover your machine.don't want that salt moisture getting to your machine.

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Still don't understand why you posted your question. Everyone who replied told you that you can hunt with single freq detector if you had too, but it is not the best choice for saltwater....

Can you bass fish with a cane pole? Answer is yes but it isn't the best choice or most productive.

Just wanted to see how many people felt the same way as me.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Number one, do NOT listen to other guys trying to throw you off your game as they could just be saying that to discourage you so they can increase their finds!
Even if you feel they are better hunters than you the best hunter is the guy that knows how to read the beach and is completely comfortable with his or her detector! IMHO!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread