ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello:

I used to beach detect and never needed a pinpointer. Now through employment relocation I am land locked and now I am in the market of a pinpointer since I am detecting hard soil.

I have never used one and I just looked at a few online and I'm confused.

The prices are all over the place.
I just need one so when I dig a plug I can check with the pointer to see if the item is still underground or in the plug.

Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

David

Upvote 0

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT buy from Kelly co. Too many bad reviews. Why don't you like Garrett? Do you even have one? It's the piece of detecting I've owned! Go for the Garrett, you won't be disappointed!

Stop being a fanboy and do some research. Everyone I know who has used a Garrett has had issues with them. That would be at least 7 people. Combine that with me reading the forums a lot and not closing my eyes to actual feedback concerning the Garrett and the tons of issues with it and you better damn well believe I don't have one.

For a while they were pretty much the best in the game. Sure whites had the Bullseye II and a few other companies had some options available. But when I see everyone I know who used them have to send them back in, some people more than 2 times, and for the ridiculous price they charge, there are WAYYY better options out there now.

I know on this forum it is frowned upon to have an opinion that is negative about the fabled Garrett PP, but I would rather see the guy spend his money somewhere else than with a sub standard product.

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will purchase a whites TRX. I have a whites detector so might as well stay in the family.
Now I just need to find a good price on it.

Thanks again.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will purchase a whites TRX. I have a whites detector so might as well stay in the family.

Thanks again.
I think that you made a good choice. What would be great is for you to buy it from Kellyco and have them throw in a Vulcan pointer as BOLO :)

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again.

I have a dealer that will ship it fast for $139, just PM if you want the details.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop being a fanboy and do some research. Everyone I know who has used a Garrett has had issues with them. That would be at least 7 people. Combine that with me reading the forums a lot and not closing my eyes to actual feedback concerning the Garrett and the tons of issues with it and you better damn well believe I don't have one.

For a while they were pretty much the best in the game. Sure whites had the Bullseye II and a few other companies had some options available. But when I see everyone I know who used them have to send them back in, some people more than 2 times, and for the ridiculous price they charge, there are WAYYY better options out there now.

I know on this forum it is frowned upon to have an opinion that is negative about the fabled Garrett PP, but I would rather see the guy spend his money somewhere else than with a sub standard product.

Maybe you should do some research. Garrett's Pro-Pointer easily became the most popular on the market, and therefore you are going to have more documented cases of failure, when in fact their failure rate has been in the same range of similar pointers. Not to mention the fact that people are more likely to complain on a forum rather than sing its praises when all is well.

It is simple math. The Pro-Pointer sells 5 times the units of say, the Pro-Find 25, therefore you would expect 5 times more failures and complaints. I've had the Garrett for over a year with no problems. I now also have the White's TRX, which I am still forming my opinion on. Why is he being a fanboy simply because he is recommending a product that has worked well for him? It looks like you buy a lot of Teknetics detectors, so should you stop being such a fanboy?

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I singing the praises of teknetics while people are inundating forums about their lack of quality? No. Like I said, for a while Garrett had the PP market pretty much cornered. Now there are actual quality pin pointers available that are worth the asking price.

I would like to see the source for your assertion that they have the same failure rate as other pinpointers. Not saying it is false, but to make such a bold statement, I would hope you could provide a solid resource.

And in reality, for the longest time all you heard or read about was how fricking fantastic the Garrett PP was. I see you joined this site in 2013, not sure how much you read forums but before then, but when the issues with the Garrett PP first started happening, people were chastised and mocked for having an opinion that did not suck the hind end of everything Garrett.

People who were not having issues were still convinced that the Pro Pointer could do no wrong. Truth is there are thousands of posts across many many forums stating that in fact people ARE having issues with them.

So when I replied the way I did to the gentleman who posted, I did so because it was obvious he was either ignoring or just not doing the research on exactly how many issues people are having with the product.

I dont have a lot of money to spend and most certainly would like someone to inform me of some other options, which is what I did to the OP. If the Garrett fanboys don't like it, go work at Garrett in the QC department and make some changes.

shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett Pro Pointer arrived today. Will be testing soon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread