ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello:

I used to beach detect and never needed a pinpointer. Now through employment relocation I am land locked and now I am in the market of a pinpointer since I am detecting hard soil.

I have never used one and I just looked at a few online and I'm confused.

The prices are all over the place.
I just need one so when I dig a plug I can check with the pointer to see if the item is still underground or in the plug.

Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

David

Upvote 0

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I strongly believe the Garrett is the best all rounder - others may go a little deeper or be submersible etc but I don't think you can go wrong with this one!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites NEW TRX is much better then the Garrett and I expect you will see more of the garretts for sale used. I just bought the Whites as my first real pinpointer is is the cats meow! Look a the other thread on it in this forum there are videos and user reviews comparing them.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that the Garrett Pro Pointer is one of the best ones! Mine has performed flawlessly and I found a gold ring with mine without digging a plug!
Best of luck!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dig a lot, get a pin pointer. I use the Garret Propointer. I highly recommend this pp for too many reasons to post here. Call Evan Granger at 580-775-5970. He will take care of you. If ever have a issue with the pp, Garret will be a pleasure to work with on any defects or warrant issues.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites NEW TRX is much better then the Garrett and I expect you will see more of the garretts for sale used. I just bought the Whites as my first real pinpointer is is the cats meow! Look a the other thread on it in this forum there are videos and user reviews comparing them.

I'm not 100% but doesn't the TRX detect only "on the point" as opposed to the Garrett which detects "360" and along its shaft?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been seeing good reports about White's new TRX pointer. I ordered one to try it out for $139. If I like it more than my Garrett, I may sell the GPP on the cheap.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I read garrett is the best one out there I hope it is not true. I've been through two and they both have been terrible.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from the Garrett. Save yourself the headache. Go with Whites, Minelab, or even the Bounty Hunter one. I was reading that Kellyco has a new pinpointer available as well.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ilzho!! I have a Minelab pointer and it has been a good unit!! It Beeps and Vibrates!! Holds up well!! If nothing else you could use it for a Hot Tub Toy!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ilzho, there are several on the market, but we only carry three - Garrett Pro-pointer, Minelab Pro-find 25, and Whites TRX. Garrett Pro-pointer - lowest price of the three, vibrate and audio with increasing beeps as you approach the target. Two year warranty Minelab Pro-Find 25 - Adjustable sensitivity with a +- button -audio/ vibrate/ audio and vibrate- a little more depth at maximum sensitivity. Three year warranty Whites TRX - newest model - audio and vibrate/ audio only/ vibrate only - more depth than the other two. Two year warranty We only carry units we have used in the field, these three have proven to be good performers. Feel free to give me a call to discuss, we offer free shipping and UPS is one business day to Grand Prairie. Wayne www.metaldetectingstuff.com

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see there are still a lot of Garrett followers. That is probably because they have not yet used the Vulcan by Kellyco or ventured into trying the Whites offering of the new TRX. The Vulcan (sale) is cheaper than the GPP (normal retail) and is about twice as deep on stage 5 but has a full adjustment down to the to the GPP level of sensing. The Whites is even stronger and also can be staged down to the GPP level of sensing and below. The TRX is about $15 more than the GPP, depending on the dealer you buy from. There is a lot of news this week on the new pointers and they all make the old stuff a lot less attractive. I have both the Vulcan and TRX and would not trade either for a sack full of GPP's.

OP
OP
ilzho

ilzho

Feb 28, 2014
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Great advice. I'll do some more research and then search for a used one. I have a whites beachhunter 300 and it's a great machine, now I need a pinpointer to round out my toys!!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above ones are okay,if you want one you can use underwater try Vibra-probe.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know your budget, but, the Uniprobe is a great pin pointer also. I like it better than all the rest......except for the new White's unit that I haven't tried yet.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay away from the Garrett. Save yourself the headache. Go with Whites, Minelab, or even the Bounty Hunter one. I was reading that Kellyco has a new pinpointer available as well.
DO NOT buy from Kelly co. Too many bad reviews. Why don't you like Garrett? Do you even have one? It's the piece of detecting I've owned! Go for the Garrett, you won't be disappointed!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love my Minelab Pro Pinpointer. It's kind of noisy but boy howdy you know when you're getting warm,lol!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT buy from Kelly co. Too many bad reviews. Why don't you like Garrett? Do you even have one? It's the piece of detecting I've owned! Go for the Garrett, you won't be disappointed!

As far as I know the new Kellyco Vulcan pin pointer has been out for a short while and I have yet to see a negative report. I have one and I would judge it first class.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not any that I've posted. I've had nothing but good experiences with Kellyco. I've bought things from them for about 25 years now. I've even been to their store in Fla. and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The Garrett pin pointer has had a history of defects and early failure. They're supposed to have that situation fixed by now but ?? :dontknow:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to be a huge Garrett PP fan until I bought the Whites TRX. They did their homework on this one. The GPP is my backup now, I just hope it lasts now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread