Farm Fields worth the time?

jmz82

Greenie
Feb 27, 2014
I know the answer to that question would be different for every location but I'm just thinking about the fields I have easy access to. I'm in Western PA, to my knowledge nothing significant ever happened here and they have always just been farm fields. With no battles, camps, old structures, etc ever being here what is the likely hood that much if anything would be found?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, your first paragraph is the reason he SHOULD hunt the field. Until you do, you don't know if there was any history to the place. If the field was known for a fort, or trading post, or ranch house, it's probably already been hunted. It's that unknown that can really pay off if it turns out to be a virgin spot. Chances are, you'll come up dry on a farmers south 40 but it's worth a thoughtful random search to determine if a more intensive one is warranted. After all, we're hunters, even if we're not always finders. In my case, the excitement of the unknown potential is better than the near certainty of mediocrity.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let us not forget the possibility of finding meteorites in fields. DON'T throw away any stones that give off a good signal till they are checked out! TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
A good site makes all the difference. See the advice others have left, find the tell tale signs of historical usage, and you'll be on the good stuff in no time. All of my best finds are from farm fields.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize the area you are talking about is very large but it could be narrowed down a bit. I would pick some spots that look good just because of their relationship to streams, saddles, edges, roads, etc. In other words places that would be logical spots for old homesteads, cabins, maybe Indian camps and start looking around. Follow your nose. Just because an area doesn't have or you can't find any known history doesn't mean it doesn't have history.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like too much work for too little gain unless you know for sure a building was there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like too much work for too little gain unless you know for sure a building was there.
Unless you're extremely lucky, you'll never find anything if you aren't willing to work for it.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to do some research. Look up the whiskey rebellion for one. I've worked WPA farm fields and even if you are scarce on detector finds might find some arrow heads. Western PA is a good place to hunt.

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know the answer to that question would be different for every location but I'm just thinking about the fields I have easy access to. I'm in Western PA, to my knowledge nothing significant ever happened here and they have always just been farm fields. With no battles, camps, old structures, etc ever being here what is the likely hood that much if anything would be found?

Are you close to New Castle?

doodlebuggers

Mar 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie here. I'm glad you posted this question. We moved to a new house recently in Kentucky. We live on the outskirts of a small town that has been around since at least 1799 according to the research I have found online. I have been researching old maps and found out that around 1880, there were a couple of homesteads in the area near our house. I don't know when they were torn down, but they do not exist today and to my knowledge could have been torn down before 1960 when a farmer started buying up land in the area. The land has since been divided, and I believe there is a potential that some of our acreage might be in the same area. Our home is also near quite a few creeks, and several larger waterways. I have read that there were a few documented Civil War skirmishes, as well as Indians in the area. How would we go about finding the exact location of the homesteads? Would we have to do some deed research?

We are completely new to metal detecting. My son got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV last year, but we haven't used it much. We were wondering if we should try to metal detect around our home, even if it's not the exact site of the homesteads that were there in the 1880's? Should we detect around trees, or just open land? And, can someone tell me if there is a place on this forum for people like us who are just starting out?

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newbie here. I'm glad you posted this question. We moved to a new house recently in Kentucky. We live on the outskirts of a small town that has been around since at least 1799 according to the research I have found online. I have been researching old maps and found out that around 1880, there were a couple of homesteads in the area near our house. I don't know when they were torn down, but they do not exist today and to my knowledge could have been torn down before 1960 when a farmer started buying up land in the area. The land has since been divided, and I believe there is a potential that some of our acreage might be in the same area. Our home is also near quite a few creeks, and several larger waterways. I have read that there were a few documented Civil War skirmishes, as well as Indians in the area. How would we go about finding the exact location of the homesteads? Would we have to do some deed research? We are completely new to metal detecting. My son got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV last year, but we haven't used it much. We were wondering if we should try to metal detect around our home, even if it's not the exact site of the homesteads that were there in the 1880's? Should we detect around trees, or just open land? And, can someone tell me if there is a place on this forum for people like us who are just starting out?

Search everywhere you can! Ive found a nice site to provide me as to where old houses would be, it's historicmapworks dot com. Search your state, county and township and there should be maps for your area. My only question is, is that tracker 4 going to go deep enough for the old stuff? From what I know, a track 4 goes 3-4 inches when the older things could be 8+ inches
As for the newbie section, I have no clue as I am partly new myself. I'm sure others will chime in for you.
-Ryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread