Metal Detecting Virgin

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! Here are some machines to consider:

New Digger

Mar 4, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro with 12" 300 coil,Sef Wss 10x5 coil,6x10 dd coil,10"dd coil,9" spider
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using a Whites Mxt Pro for about four years. Easy to learn almost a turn on and go machine. It is like having three machines in one

ND

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I get off of work I think I am going to buy my first metal detector. Any advice?
I'd first decide what I want to find, then set a budget. Once you know both of those, look for a detector that meets your requirements. I'd stick with the major brands and popular models so you can see videos on their use and get helpful tips from others that have experience using them. It also makes service, repair, and accessories easier to find.

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
They have the Coun Master Pro and the Coin Master Gt. For $279 & 399. I know nothing about metal detectors and this budget is about the most I would spend. I want to fing GOLD and SILVER! :)

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
After I get off of work I think I am going to buy my first metal detector. Any advice?

Welcome to TT Johnomerta!

My suggestion would be to find a easy to use detector first considering this will be your first one ever.
I also see that you're located in TX which is a good thing because you can hunt anytime of the year unlike me from Minnesota.

Second thing, stick with brand names that offer quality and a good warranty.

Third, question yourself do you ever want to go near water?

Forth, what you want to hunt? Coins? Gold? Tabs (kidding on the tabs).

Last but not least, BUY IT LOCAL from somebody who can talk you through it and make you learn what pros/cons each one has. If the salesperson is pushy, walk away and go elsewhere.

My first detector was a ace 350 (bought online) wasn't the best MD but I learned a lot from it including SINKING my module under the water.... Which led me to my next purchase; which was a AT Pro (bought local)

I truly hope you find something you enjoy.

Once you find that ONE piece of jewelry or coin, I'll bet you that you'll get hooked. It took me 9 months to find my first piece of jewelry and about 2 days to find my first "worthwhile" coin.

Happy hunting and always ask questions! You'll learn a lot here.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started in Nov and got the Coinmaster GT. It is easy to use, has many features that are on more expensive units and is made in the US. If you plan on doing any beach hunting in wet sand, this unit has a beach feature which adjust the auto ground balancing to work better in wet sand which none of the other lower priced units seem to have. One draw back is there are only 2 coils available for it from whites but that won't come into play until later on. I can tell you the first time out, I turned it on and was digging up pennies within minutes.. (trash filled local park) If you can find a local MD shop that has multiple brand, even if it is a 200 mile drive one way, take the ride! How a machine feels is just a important as any other option. They all will find a quarter at 6 or 8 inches in clean ground.. One thing I would not give up is multiple tones..the GT has 9 tones some machines have only 1 or 2 of 3 .. 9 may sound like a video game to some folks but I find it very helpful when deciding if I want to dig a target or not in these trashy areas..
Good luck on your choice!
Also please do consider buying the Whites TRX pinpointer, you NEED a pinpointer and this is the best one on the market, just released, designed from the ground up. Yes it does cost $140..

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the Fisher F2 or eurotek pro both are around 215$

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have the Coun Master Pro and the Coin Master Gt. For $279 & 399. I know nothing about metal detectors and this budget is about the most I would spend. I want to fing GOLD and SILVER! :)
In that price range, I would also look at the Minelab 305, Fisher F4, Garrett Ace 350, and some of the Tesoros.....Cibola or Silver u-Max. My pick would be the 305, F4, GT, and Cibola, in that order.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from White Plains, New York! Here are some machines to consider:

Excellent video for the new kids on the block Terry, good job, and you have performed a great service for the newbies.

My comment would be that these really are beginner detectors, with a little exception to the Minelab.

If a newbie really gets into the hobby, my statement here would be that the newbie would eventually be upgrading to a more robust and expensive machine. If the newbie starts low, then the newbie can decide whether or not to continue - I'd bet most don't. But if they get hooked, they'll buy a better machine and look for someone to donate the first machine to, or use for backup.

Lynne G. Peck

Dec 14, 2013
Vero Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrtee AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John, Any detector by a noted manufacturer in the 200/300 price range would be a good unit to start with. You will learn the basics of "dirt digging" and then you can up grade to the detectors with all the bells and whistles. I have had the high dollar detectors and I have found that any detector in the $600 range will do just about anything you can want. Garrett or White detectors and you can't go wrong. Lynne

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Pro is a good all around detector! Once you learn how to listen to what it's telling you, you will be finding coins, relics and jewelry in no time! But you will also be finding the trash like any of the more expensive detectors!
Also the AT Pro is waterproof to 10'! When you decide to upgrade you can easily sell it for dang near what you paid for it!
Best of Luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the AT Pro also if he has another $200 to add to the budget. I have a whole new list of detectors if the wallet can stand the raise.

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello johnomerta the best thing to do is DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE METAL DETECTORS AND THEN CHOOSE WHICH ONE WILL BE BEST FOR WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO USE IT FOR !!!! Don't be like me and rush in to it and buy the first one you see or the first one the dealer show you (there is a sucker born every min.) anyways I bought it at first I was happy then I wasn't liking it but now the more I use it and the better I'm getting at it I'm starting to like it again and just because you pay lot for a m-d it doesn't make it the best why pay 6 to 8 hundred dollars for one when the one for 4 to 6 hundred dollar will work just as find!! I GUESS THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE M-D THAT WILL BE BEST FOR YOU

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap!! imagesew.jpg :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread