cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old White's Eagle SL90 (and the Spectrum XLT too) is exceptional on target I.D. but it doesn't quite get the depth of my E-trac. With the SL90 I could tell a wheat from a copper memorial with more than 90% accuracy. I can't even come close to that with the E-trac. If I get a 12-44 with the E-trac and it might be a wheat, copper memorial, or a clad dime. Since I would dig them all anyway, it's not a problem, but you'd think it would be a bit better at it for the price you pay.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, eagle sl90 was fun TID . But I would not classify that as " .... at depth " ;)

I'd go with the exp. II.

And for its era , there was nothing that could touch the Tek. Mark 1. Eh?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, eagle sl90 was fun TID . But I would not classify that as " .... at depth " ;) I'd go with the exp. II. And for its era , there was nothing that could touch the Tek. Mark 1. Eh?
The SL90 would be quite accurate down to about 8" and most of our areas don't have targets deeper than that due to our adobe ground. I never had a Tek. Mark 1 but I found the Explorer had the same blurring of targets that the E-trac has. It can't tell a dime from a cent with any degree of certainty, and a wheat from a memorial......forget it. This was one of the first Explorers so maybe the 2 was better at that? :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... This was one of the first Explorers so maybe the 2 was better at that? :dontknow:

No. If that's what you mean (a clad dime apart from a copper penny), then no, neither can the Exp. II do that. However, to my recollection, the SLII didn't do it either. Well .... in a staged air test, shallow, with fresh coins, yes. But in actual field conditions, that would have been hard to do, in my opinion.

Now silver dimes versus clad dimes and pennies, yes; all day long (assuming fairly shallow in good soil and not masked). For that purpose the SLII did better than the Exp. II does today.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on depth and moisture content, silver dimes on the SL90 are '82-3, clad dimes are 79-81, memorials are 77-8, and wheats are 74-6....at least on my machine....and 2 of my friend's machines. Now I'm sure you can find some alkaline cesspool or other bad ground somewhere where they'll all sound the same but in the areas I've hunted these are the numbers I get, down to the 8" level. In favorable ground, like dry beach sand, they'll be accurate even deeper. The E-trac says 12-44 for all of them, but will do so at deeper levels, so I can live with that! The Explorer I used had similar results. Of the modern machines, the CTX is the most impressive to me. I've borrowed a couple from friends, so I'm not a 100 hour veteran yet but I do have hundreds of hours on the E-trac which has the same numbering system and similar features. It doesn't do much better on exact TID but it does so at impressive depths....especially with that 17" coil. If I knew a 12-44 was a memorial, I might pass it by if it was necessary to cut a plug, but I would scoop it at the beach. If it was deep enough in an old park, I'd still dig it as it might be something good. I dug the '77-8's with my SL90 too, even though it was almost a certainty that it was a memorial. I've found a few silver rings, other jewelry, and wheats/mercs with those numbers from time to time that would try to fool you. Until they come up with a detector that will give you a digital photo of the target before you dig, it's just best to dig anything close to a good TID if you don't want to miss something good. You just need to weigh the likely outcome vs. the effort involved. To get back to the OP's question, I'd get a machine that goes deep if that is where the good targets are, regardless of how accurate the TID is. If you have it set correctly, and your hearing is ok, you'll eventually learn what to dig and what to pass by even if the numbers are iffy.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My vote is for the Minelab Explorer! I just purchased a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro and I'm blown away at this detector's ability to accurately ID a coin (Low ferrous to Non Ferrous) and it goes really deep!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread