Lots of beeping

jmz82

Greenie
Feb 27, 2014
I'm new to metal detecting, I just got a fisher f2, it seems like it's getting lots of false hits. It acts like it hits iron everywhere and that's at a few different locations as well as getting rogue zinc dime qtr tab notifications. I'll even get these all in one spot sometimes when I investigate a hit. I can walk with it and it will be beeping like there is stuff everywhere, a lot of the spots won't reproduce the beep too.

I turned the sensitivity down 1 to 2 clicks, one or two of the spots may have been trashy. I've read the manual so I think I'm operating it correctly. I'm also in southwestern Pa which I didn't think had much mineralization but maybe I'm wrong. The ground is a mixture of wet/frozen too if that would make a difference.

Thoughts suggestion?

Upvote 0

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
Any chance it's electrical interference. I've had some go nuts near buildings and powerlines.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be there is a ton of trash. Iron that has been in the ground a long time will produce a high tone right next to the iron. Could be your don't have the coil wire tight on the shaft, could be you have steel in your shoes, could be you are not keeping the coil level with the ground at the end of the swing, could be EMI, could be a bad coil, could be you have something discriminated out and you will still get blips on those items..

Read this 20 page article, it is very helpful and may answer some of your questions as the why this could be happening
http://metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detector_search_coils.shtml

Last edited:

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good reading. Thanks for the article.

OP
OP
J

jmz82

Greenie
Feb 27, 2014
Could be there is a ton of trash. Iron that has been in the ground a long time will produce a high tone right next to the iron. Could be your don't have the coil wire tight on the shaft, could be you have steel in your shoes, could be you are not keeping the coil level with the ground at the end of the swing, could be EMI, could be a bad coil, could be you have something discriminated out and you will still get blips on those items.. Read this 20 page article, it is very helpful and may answer some of your questions as the why this could be happening http://metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detector_search_coils.shtml

Thanks for the info, I'll have to explore a few of these. I'm leaning towards it must be trashy stuff but a few of the spots and hits I tried that would kind of surprise me.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll eventually be surprised and dismayed, both, at how many very trashy spots there are.
luvsdux

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F2 should have sensitivity backed down a couple notches. You can also start playing around with disc settings (or notch) and block unwanted targets. See if that helps.

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run it as wide open as you can. If your near houses it will get emi. If you are house you will prob want to discriminate iron. I didn't like to touch the sensitivity. Learn your machine you will learn the false tones. I found a ton of nice things w the f2. I have dug coins at eight inches right after the winter. It's a great machine and for the price you can go wrong. On the other hand if it's always going nuts then you may have a problem. I have had mine go so crazy when other people tried it the got easily discourage. Be Patient!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions